Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 27 Sep 2016 (Tuesday) 18:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Delaware River

CHUCK ­ A
Joined Jun 2011
New Jersey USA
Sep 27, 2016 18:06 |  #1

Got to this location just before first light. Appreciate critique on my processing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D3, 60D, 70-200 L f4 IS, 17-40L,16-35f4, 24-105L,100 f2.8, 85 f/1.8, 55-250 IS, 400 f/5.6, Ziess 21 2.8, canon 1.4, 430EX www.flickr.com/photos/​maggiesguy, http://charles-aitken.artistwebsites.​comexternal link

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Oct 01, 2016 12:00 |  #2

This one has been sitting here for a while. So I'll give it a shot. I don't have much to say about your processing because you didn't provide a before image. If this were my shot, I would be on the edge of filing it away. It just doesn't grab me. What is the story being told? The colors in the trees offer a hint of interest, but they're lost in the grays of the water and sky which together take up something like 3/4 of the frame. My first thought was to crop them out. That would leave something like a leading line, but a weak one that drifts off to the left side. I'll bet if you come back to this scene in a couple of weeks, the colors in the trees would be more striking. It might give you an opportunity to try different points of view for a more compelling composition.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

captainkirk
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Oct 01, 2016 17:00 |  #3

I would increase the saturation of the trees so that they stand out more. Also I would crop from the bottom to the start of blue above your name to center the triangle formed by the mountains and the reflection.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by DagoImaging.
Oct 09, 2016 09:38 |  #4

I agree w/ increasing the pop value of the trees to make it more dimensional.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

genedarrell
Joined Mar 2008
Kansas
Feb 14, 2017 09:41 |  #5

i would increase contrast and saturation. you could even selectively bring the saturation of the colors you want like the greens and reds and so on.

www.genespics.com (external link)
1DXMII, 5DMIII X2, Canon L F2.8 70-200, L F4 24-105, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 300 2.8 IS,600EX-RT X2 ,Canon 2X extender II

DesolateMirror
Joined Oct 2015
Feb 15, 2017 10:46 |  #6

Fog lowers contrast. Adding contrast/micro contrast and lots of vibrancy/saturation makes it look un-natural, like those HDR effect filters (which is fine if that's what you want).

It's hard to judge the processing without the original.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 15, 2017 12:19 |  #7

DesolateMirror wrote in post #18274451 (external link)
Fog lowers contrast. Adding contrast/micro contrast and lots of vibrancy/saturation makes it look un-natural

I agree. Well, I somewhat agree. There are ways that you can "remove" some of the fog without making a scene look unnatural, but why? I mean, fog is so beautiful, and so unique.

The reason to take an image of a foggy scene is because you love the soft, mystical look of the fog, right? I mean, if you are going to effectively "remove" the fog by increasing the contrast to produce "pop", then why not wait until it is clear to take one's photos? To me, it seems reasonable that the reason to photograph fog is because one wants pictures of fog. So I think that the best processing would be that which preserves the mystical, ethereal look and mood of the scene when it was so foggy.

__________ __________ __________ __________ __________

OP - I was pleasantly surprised to see the Delaware River! Back when I lived in Pennsylvania my friends and family and I spent many, many weekends on that river, fishing and canoe-camping. We used to float and hunt and fish the area from Milford, PA down to Delaware Water Gap, PA very often. And a very good friend of mine lived along the river in Yardley, PA, so we used to recreate quite often in the section between Washington's Crossing and Morrisville. Good times! Your photo brings back many good memories for me. Thanks for sharing!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Feb 15, 2017 12:26 |  #8

On the other side - I would leave the fog as much as possible and desaturate the trees.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Intheswamp.
Feb 15, 2017 15:15 |  #9

I saw an earlier edit and someone earlier than that had mentioned something about "It just doesn't grab me."...Well, here's a hand...grab ahold.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Buick ­ M
Joined Jan 2015
Feb 15, 2017 19:47 |  #10

:-P hahaha! grab him!

sponsored links

2,006 views & 6 likes for this thread
Delaware River
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.