Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 14 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 15:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tools of the trade (no animals)

robamy
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Chepachet, RI
Feb 15, 2017 04:48 |  #16

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18273841 (external link)
I have several friends who have multiple Canon super-telephotos, but I do not know anyone else with both a 600v2 and an 800. I am very curious about something, and you may be one of the only people that can answer my question with an answer that comes from lots and lots of personal experience:

How do you find the image quality to be, comparing images taken with the 600 v2 and the 1.4 tele-extender, to images taken with the 800mm with no tele-extender?

Tom I would give the edge to the 800mm which is my mainly used lens, but they are so close. I honestly do not like taking extenders on and off that much. It just takes to much time taking them on and off and in dusty areas it could be an issue too. If Canon built a 600mm with the built in extender like the 200-400mm then I would love that over the 800mm. I have both lenses because both my wife and I shoot. She will use the 600mm when she can be setup on a tripod. I handhold my 800 a lot too and the 800 is a little smaller then the 600mm in size which I actually like when handholding and packing. I just picked up the 400DO II for mainly a 800mm light traveling lens. I will basically leave a 2x on it most of the time for what I want it for. So far that is an amazing piece of glass with the 2x on it. I have not had much testing so far but boy so far it is very impressive.

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
YouTube https://www.youtube.co​m .../UCXHzc4eU2AfHUCuGW​31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Feb 15, 2017 16:38 as a reply to robamy's post |  #17

Interested in your observations "robamy". I currently use the 800 F5.6 L IS and am very happy with it but I have been lusting after the 600 F4 Mk2. I used to have the 600 Mk1 but it was a bit of a monster to carry - hence my change to the 800mm.

Given your observations there seems to be little to justify and expensive change - so I am now a little happier with my 800 and I have spent nothing!

Still tempted by a 500 Mk2 for walkabout......... anyone need a Kidney?:rolleyes:

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

2,825 views & 5 likes for this thread
Tools of the trade (no animals)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.