Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 16 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 14:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

4x4 Filter Holder and (lack of) Adapter Ring...???

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 16, 2017 14:08 |  #1

I ordered an 4x4 Pro Optic filter holder from Adorama recently when it was on sale and it came with a FREE bonus...the adapter ring (in my case a 67mm). My intentions (to begin with) is to use it for securing welding filters for long exposures...poor man's Big Stopper. :-D

Anyhow, I was all excited when the package arrived. But, upon opening it I discovered that the 67mm adapter ring had been backordered. :cry: In talking with an Adorama rep he gave me two options...send the filter holder back for credit or wait for the backordered adapter ring to become available though he said they have no idea when it will be available (but it's an Adorama brand). -?

The filter holder seems like it's nicely built, but without the ring it's useless. I see some cheap adapter rings on eBay, but I have no idea whether they will work with the holder...are these adapter and rings a standard size? Is there a good chance a ring from a different maker would work?

I'm not sure what to do...send it back, wait for the backordered ring to (hopefully) become available, or to try a second-party ring.
Anybody got a recommendation?

Thanks,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 16, 2017 17:28 |  #2

Hmm, does this design lock me in to using only a Pro Optic designed adapter ring? I measured the diameter of the filter holder opening at it measures right at 94mm. There are two flanges at the bottom and a spring-loaded pin at the top. Here is a link to the image of it.... https://www.adorama.co​m/images/XLarge/profh_​4.jpg (external link)

Thanks for any help on this...
Ed

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 16, 2017 17:37 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #3

I've never used what you bought but have always been able to use adapter rings I found on ebay

tw
Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.

www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 16, 2017 17:42 |  #4

Thanks tw. I may just buy a cheap one off of eBay and see if it works. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the holders and adapter rings are pretty much standard across the board.

Ed

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 16, 2017 17:48 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #5

Ed

If my memory hasn't completely failed me you can buy a set with different filter sizes...........just sayin'

tw
Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.

www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 20, 2017 17:33 |  #6

With no information coming from Adorama on ETA of the mystery adapter ring I was strongly thinking about returning the filter holder but saw I would end up paying shipping both ways. Today I got a shipping notice for the adapter ring...why couldn't the rep last week find out it was in transit to the warehouse...it would have relieved some stress for me. I guess it's easier to say "We don't know" than to go find the answer. -?

But, at least it's on its way and I can stop my bellyaching...I'm sure everyone will be happy about that. ;)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,289 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Feb 21, 2017 07:58 |  #7

Intheswamp wrote in post #18279819 (external link)
With no information coming from Adorama on ETA of the mystery adapter ring I was strongly thinking about returning the filter holder but saw I would end up paying shipping both ways. Today I got a shipping notice for the adapter ring...why couldn't the rep last week find out it was in transit to the warehouse...it would have relieved some stress for me. I guess it's easier to say "We don't know" than to go find the answer. -?

But, at least it's on its way and I can stop my bellyaching...I'm sure everyone will be happy about that. ;)

He would not have known, which is actually a bit ridiculous.....also, I sent an inquiry to the Purchasing Department re: your query about an alternative, and haven't heard a thing from them vmad

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 21, 2017 08:09 |  #8

Thanks for the reply, Helen. Seems the only answers I ever got from the two people I communicated with was that they didn't know when they would get the ring but that I could return the holder if I wanted to. -? The last response of "we don't know" was on the 17th, then three days later I get a shipping notice from Adorama. Having ran a company that depended on containerized shipping along with domestic shipping I knew what was coming my way because *I* ordered the merchandise. No way would I not know a shipment was coming. Just seems there's a glitch in the inventory data system at Adorama. I wonder if this being just a $40 purchase had anything to do with the lack of information or if it had been when I bought my 6D from them if they might have tried a little harder to get me an ETA. Ah well, file this under "experience"...

Btw, did you ever get the email I sent you back on the 17th?...

HelenOster
That's me!
4,289 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Feb 21, 2017 12:36 |  #9

Intheswamp wrote in post #18280319 (external link)
Thanks for the reply, Helen. Seems the only answers I ever got from the two people I communicated with was that they didn't know when they would get the ring but that I could return the holder if I wanted to. -? The last response of "we don't know" was on the 17th, then three days later I get a shipping notice from Adorama. Having ran a company that depended on containerized shipping along with domestic shipping I knew what was coming my way because *I* ordered the merchandise. No way would I not know a shipment was coming. Just seems there's a glitch in the inventory data system at Adorama. I wonder if this being just a $40 purchase had anything to do with the lack of information or if it had been when I bought my 6D from them if they might have tried a little harder to get me an ETA. Ah well, file this under "experience"...

Btw, did you ever get the email I sent you back on the 17th?...

Yes; I got your email when I logged on Saturday night, 18th; I immediately sent an inquiry to the Purchasing Department as to whether there was an alternative that could be offered.
I expected to receive a response yesterday (Monday), but I did not.

Today I sent 2 further messages to the Purchasing Department to ask how it can be that there was no ETA showing in the system on Friday, yet it shipped on Monday.
It is possible that a pallet was delivered on Friday but wasn't stocked and scanned into the system until Sunday or Monday, but I have no clarification as yet, that this was the case.
(I sent you an email earlier today with the tracking info for the item)

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

sponsored links

982 views & 1 like for this thread
4x4 Filter Holder and (lack of) Adapter Ring...???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.