Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 16 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 17:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

That "Nikon look"

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 16, 2017 17:56 |  #1

http://gallery.snowtra​ils.com ...417/Photos-by-Adam-Knapp/ (external link)

For starters, do you think the photos at the above link are flashed? Secondly, the photos have a different look to me, which made me think they were from a Nikon, and when I looked up the photographer, it seems that he does shoot Nikon. As a long time Canon shooter I've never gotten photos that look like that.

Do you like the look of the photos?

sponsored links
tdlavigne
292 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Feb 16, 2017 18:01 |  #2

Yes, obvious strobe work. Tweak the saturation and clarity in LR, maybe the blues in Camera Calibration. Nothing you couldn't do with Canon. I shoot Nikon now, and find that I spend most of my days working to mimic the color/look that I used to get with Canon lol. Grass is always greener ;)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 16, 2017 18:35 |  #3

tdlavigne wrote in post #18275903 (external link)
Yes, obvious strobe work. Tweak the saturation and clarity in LR, maybe the blues in Camera Calibration. Nothing you couldn't do with Canon. I shoot Nikon now, and find that I spend most of my days working to mimic the color/look that I used to get with Canon lol. Grass is always greener ;)

Thank you for the feedback! Strobe/flash for both the action shots on the slope, and the band on stage?

I wonder if permission was needed to shoot flash/strobe on the slope?

The 12th photo of that ski lodge can't be strobe, right? I was impressed by the detail in both the highlights and shadows in that shot.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,912 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 16, 2017 18:41 |  #4

If you could share some of your own photos that you feel should be crisper, I am sure we can point you to some techniques, either during the shot, or during post.

I will do this for you. I shoot with pretty neutral colors, I like Canon rendering because it leaves you so much room to enhance to your heart's content. I think on some other pics, you are seeing things either punched up in-camera or during post. I usually stay conservative. I usually process more like the left side, but you can pop up contrast, sharpening, and saturation if you like that kind of thing.

I don't know what the Nikon looks like, but the right side is more what I see posted online.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 16, 2017 18:50 |  #5

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18275918 (external link)
If you could share some of your own photos that you feel should be crisper, I am sure we can point you to some techniques, either during the shot, or during post.

I don't have any at night like that. It's the color, and dare I say, maybe dynamic range, that seem impressive to me. As for crispness or sharpness, I don't think those photos are especially sharp. Looks like the shutter speed was a little slow.

Attached is one of my shots from that same place during the day time.

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,912 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 16, 2017 19:22 |  #6

I think one issue you have is that of an optical illusion. The background is so busy, it takes away from the color and detail you might be capturing. The background, blurry or not, really has an impact on visual perception. There is a reason many portraits are made with black backgrounds and flash, it makes the subject material stand out.

I tried my best to take that shot and modify it to give you an idea. This really didn't turn out like I had envisioned, but hopefully it at least portrays a bit of what I am trying to say.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post has been edited 8 months ago by gonzogolf.
Feb 16, 2017 20:55 |  #7

Lots to consider here and almost none of it relates to camera brand or model. The work you link to is strobed. The strobe freezes action more efficiently than simply using shutter speed during the day as the flash duration is similar to high shutter speed but the flash serves to separate the subject from the background. The difference between your shot is background clutter. The sky in the flashed shots doesn't compete with the subject like the trees in your shot. Also in a bright day stopping down means subjects far away have more detail than shooting wider open in lower light.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 16, 2017 21:23 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18275958 (external link)
I think one issue you have is that of an optical illusion. The background is so busy, it takes away from the color and detail you might be capturing. The background, blurry or not, really has an impact on visual perception. There is a reason many portraits are made with black backgrounds and flash, it makes the subject material stand out.

I tried my best to take that shot and modify it to give you an idea. This really didn't turn out like I had envisioned, but hopefully it at least portrays a bit of what I am trying to say.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=182​75958&i=i225885050
forum: Camera Vs. Camera

Thank you for the time to do that! I get what you're saying.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 16, 2017 21:29 |  #9

gonzogolf wrote in post #18276066 (external link)
Lots to consider here and almost none of it relates to camera brand or model. The work you link to is strobed. The strobe freezes action more efficiently than simply using shutter speed during the day as the flash duration is similar to high shutter speed but the flash serves to separate the subject from the background. The difference between your shot is background clutter. The sky in the flashed shots doesn't compete with the subject like the trees in your shot. Also in a bright day stopping down means subjects far away have more detail than shooting wider open in lower light.

The more I look at them I'm not so sure they were strobed, or there are just intense floodlights there. I'm planning to go there over the weekend and I may stay till after dark to check it out and try some shots myself.

The shots of the band in that gallery also have a different "look" to them. I don't think they were flashed. All of the photos in that gallery, both on the slopes and the band on stage, look slightly overexposed to me, and more blurry than what I like. I thought the 12th photo, of the ski lodge at the bottom of the hill, was impressive.

Here's another gallery from another photographer that day. Do you think these are in-camera multi exposures?

http://gallery.snowtra​ils.com ...Photos-by-Anton-Schluter/ (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 16, 2017 21:30 as a reply to KatManDEW's post |  #10

They were strobed, you can't freeze motion in flood light unless you are at ISO bazillion.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 16, 2017 21:34 |  #11

Not trying to be harsh here but that different look is what you get from a skilled photographer. As for the stacked shots those look like they were stacked in post processing from a series of shots taken with a tripod mounted camera.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 16, 2017 21:59 |  #12

if you download an exif viewer add on for your web-browser you can see his settings...they all say 'flash fired'

the first set was a nikon with a tamron 24-70mm

second photographers shots are actually taken with a t5 and a kit lens, i'd imagine he just stacked them afterwards in post processing

as for your shot, i'd say open up the lens more, and blur the background...or find a spot where you get the background farther away, or more pleasing...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

tdlavigne
292 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Feb 17, 2017 01:01 |  #13

KatManDEW wrote in post #18275914 (external link)
Thank you for the feedback! Strobe/flash for both the action shots on the slope, and the band on stage?

I wonder if permission was needed to shoot flash/strobe on the slope?

The 12th photo of that ski lodge can't be strobe, right? I was impressed by the detail in both the highlights and shadows in that shot.

No, I was only looking at the first couple action shots. The lodge is w/o strobe, lit by what I assume are some rather large event lights of some sort. You can see the shadows behind the crowd. The shadow/highlight detail is doable with the Nikons because of the extra DR their (read: Sony) sensors provides. I hear the new 5DIV is close though in that regard.

As for permission, he was likely hired to shoot the event. Or maybe knows someone who works there. I'm leaning towards the former though, as standing around on an active slope with equipment flashing the patrons probably wouldn't go over so well if he didn't have permission.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 17, 2017 01:08 as a reply to tdlavigne's post |  #14

Lodge photo still says flash fired...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Post has been edited 8 months ago by KatManDEW.
Feb 17, 2017 04:46 |  #15

DreDaze wrote in post #18276127 (external link)
if you download an exif viewer add on for your web-browser you can see his settings...they all say 'flash fired'

the first set was a nikon with a tamron 24-70mm

second photographers shots are actually taken with a t5 and a kit lens, i'd imagine he just stacked them afterwards in post processing

as for your shot, i'd say open up the lens more, and blur the background...or find a spot where you get the background farther away, or more pleasing...

I used to have an EXIF viewer installed. Lost it when I got a new computer. Need to get it again. Thanks for the reminder!

Do you have a recommendation for a EXIF viewer add on?

sponsored links

5,782 views & 29 likes for this thread
That "Nikon look"
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.