Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 14 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 05:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do these qualify for comp entry?

Miqs
Joined Dec 2008
Bedfordshire, UK
Feb 14, 2017 05:27 |  #1

I am entering some images for a camera club competition which the theme is "still life". Two of the possible images are the ones below but I cannot decide if they qualify for still life or if they are possibly too abstract. Definition of still life is of "inanimate objects" but I am still undecided. I would be grateful for any advice on this as I don't want to be disqualified. I apologise for the image size but I had no time to resize. Thank you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Feb 14, 2017 06:01 |  #2

Miqs wrote in post #18273077 (external link)
I am entering some images for a camera club competition which the theme is "still life". Two of the possible images are the ones below but I cannot decide if they qualify for still life or if they are possibly too abstract. Definition of still life is of "inanimate objects" but I am still undecided. I would be grateful for any advice on this as I don't want to be disqualified. I apologise for the image size but I had no time to resize. Thank you.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Miqs in
./showthread.php?p=182​73077&i=i237999419
forum: Competitions
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Miqs in
./showthread.php?p=182​73077&i=i95777753
forum: Competitions

I would tend to categorize the bananas as a photo illustration, and the wine glasses as still life.

Miqs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2008
Bedfordshire, UK
Feb 15, 2017 04:56 as a reply to Benitoite's post |  #3

Thanks, thought as much! :-)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 17, 2017 00:30 |  #4

I would think that the glasses should have no problem being accepted as a still life.

By the way, in this competition, are you submitting prints, or digital files?
I ask because the wine glass image is just begging to be printed on metallic paper - how striking that would be!!!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

shinnen
Joined Apr 2009
Feb 17, 2017 17:58 |  #5

Well, I don't know if they qualify, but they're beautiful.
..... john

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
Feb 17, 2017 21:24 |  #6

They are gorgeous photos!

I used to belong to an active photo club. It had 200 or so people in it. They met once a week from September through June, and typically 100 people would attend the weekly meetings. Once a month they had a competition. Judges usually came from outside of the club, but it was the club's leadership who chose the judges. As such, there was always some bias toward what the club leadership wanted. Anything outside the club's orientation was derided. It was really fun to have people laugh at my photos. For me, it was conform or exit the club. I chose the latter.

If you have a club that is really adventurous, you'll know it. You have two very interesting and compelling photos. (I'm still wondering how you did the inverted glass and kept the liquid in there.) If you're criticized for having unusual photos, they're fools. If you are criticized for not taking something far enough but are otherwise encouraged to go yet farther, then you may be in good company.

Do they qualify as "still life"? If they were mine, I'd be proud to enter both. If you can only enter one, I'd suggest the glasses. But then the better photo may be the bananas...

Good luck!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

sponsored links

1,103 views & 3 likes for this thread
Do these qualify for comp entry?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.