Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Feb 2017 (Saturday) 03:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear for London

chicken12
114 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 18, 2017 03:12 |  #1

Hi, I am heading to London next week for work. I should have at least one day off during the week off and a few nights to go out and shoot. I have never been to London so I had a few questions. I'll be bringing my 5D4 and tripod. From there I was thinking my 16-35L II, 24-70L II and a fast prime for any indoor shooting. I don't want to carry much with me as I don't know if the weather will even cooperate for any outdoor shooting. It looks like I'll be back to London 1-2 more times later in the year so I can always bring different gear another time.

I have a fairly large kit, 11-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 24l, 35l and 50l. My thought was the 16-35 was a little more veritalie and lighter than the 11-24. Then the 24-70 is a good walk around lens. Then it's a matter what prime should I bring for indoor shooting as I don't want to carry a flash and it looks like I would not be able to use it many places. I typically carry my 35l II with me but wondering if the 24L II would be a better option in some of the museums. Finally am I going to regret not bringing anything longer than 70mm? Thanks!

sponsored links
dhornick
643 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 18, 2017 09:05 |  #2

chicken12 wrote in post #18277244 (external link)
Hi, I am heading to London next week for work. I should have at least one day off during the week off and a few nights to go out and shoot. I have never been to London so I had a few questions. I'll be bringing my 5D4 and tripod. From there I was thinking my 16-35L II, 24-70L II and a fast prime for any indoor shooting. I don't want to carry much with me as I don't know if the weather will even cooperate for any outdoor shooting. It looks like I'll be back to London 1-2 more times later in the year so I can always bring different gear another time.

I have a fairly large kit, 11-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 24l, 35l and 50l. My thought was the 16-35 was a little more veritalie and lighter than the 11-24. Then the 24-70 is a good walk around lens. Then it's a matter what prime should I bring for indoor shooting as I don't want to carry a flash and it looks like I would not be able to use it many places. I typically carry my 35l II with me but wondering if the 24L II would be a better option in some of the museums. Finally am I going to regret not bringing anything longer than 70mm? Thanks!

London is great. Bring a super comfortable pair of walking shoes, get a prepaid Oyster card and you'll be set. The 24-70 is perfect. That's what I've used on both of our visits. No need for anything longer at all. I think I'd skip the 16-35 but definitely take the fast prime. Two lenses and the 5D4 should be all you need.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,139 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by Snydremark.

Feb 18, 2017 09:34 |  #3

As a starting point, the 24-70 should be a good option; tack on the 35L for your fast, indoor shooting and you should good to go for a first run. When we went, I shot, primarily, in the 18-70mm ranges on my 40D.

I cannot second the recommendation of the pre-prepaid Oyster card strongly enough. The central part of the city is walkable enough, but, it's nice to just drop in to the tube and catch a train across town or something and not fight the ticket machines.

Also, when you're on the go and need something to eat, Pret a Manger is a great joint and they are everywhere...like, seriously, EVERYwhere.

Edit: Take or get change, ASAP, once you arrive. The public restrooms all need change to use, 50p to 1£, if I recall correctly. Also, change a small amount of cash here before heading over, but pull most of your cash from an ATM, as the international conversion fee your bank charges is likely lower than the cash exchanges are going to nail you for.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

chicken12
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 20, 2017 02:51 |  #4

Thanks for the tips. Any places I should try to hit up for night photography and if I get time any museums or other places to go during the day? Thanks

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2017 05:20 |  #5

chicken12 wrote in post #18279057 (external link)
Thanks for the tips. Any places I should try to hit up for night photography and if I get time any museums or other places to go during the day? Thanks

Science and Natural History Museums, in Kensington have to be worth a visit. IIRC they allow you in for free for the last hour or so in the afternoon, which could be handy if you finish work early. The Tower of course, but it is quite expensive to get in, last time I looked it was £25 for an adult. That was when my daughter was born, she is just coming up to twenty years old now! Tower Bridge (the double bascule opening one) is also good, it's next to the Tower. In the end I took my son to see around HMS Belfast, a WWII Cruiser moored across the river from the Tower, and part of the Imperial War Museum. There is a rather good ferry across to it, that also takes you under Tower bridge. The main IWM is also very good indeed. There is also the RAF Museum at Hendon in North London, but it is still on the Tube. An incredibly good museum of aviation, if you are into that. I would say that if you are going to go then it really takes a whole day.

Back in central London there is Monument, for which you would want Monument tube station. This a column a bit like Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, but you can go up this one. IIRC it is 220 feet tall, and was built as a monument to the Great Fire of London in 1666. It is located 220 feet from the bakers shop where the fire started. You have to climb the 220 step up to the top. Again I took my son (then aged 7) when his sister was born. If you don't like heights, I really don't, I might give this one a miss, the spiral stair case is open, with just a hand rail. Also supposed to be very good is the Victoria and Albert Museum, also known as the V&A, although I have never been.

One slightly different museum that I would recommend is the Museum of Childhood, as I think it is now called in Bethnal Green in east London. I used to visit it quite a bit when I was a child in the 70's as my dad had serious heart problems, and had to regularly visit the London Chest Hospital, the capital's main heart surgery hospital, which is just around the corner. Back then it was known as the Toy Museum.

There are lots of galleries to visit too of course, Tate, Tate Modern, National Portrait Gallery are all probably worth a visit, as well as any smaller private ones too.

Oh and don't forget a ride on the London Eye, it gets you some very good views. and next door is the old London County Hall, the former home of the Greater London Council, GLC, famously led by "Red" Ken Livingstone in the 70's and early 80's, and disbanded by Maggy Thatcher in order to get rid of Ken. It didn't do her much good, when London got an elected mayor system of local government who was the first of them? Yes good old Red Ken! Still it is now the London Aquarium and so worth a visit.

Although I now live in Norfolk, I grew up in Hornchurch, which is the most easterly of the London Suburbs, and part of the London Borough of Havering. Where I used to live is some 22.5 miles from the location of the previously mentioned HMS Belfast, and just half a mile outside the maximum range of her main guns:).

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

dhornick
643 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 20, 2017 09:04 |  #6

chicken12 wrote in post #18279057 (external link)

You'll have no shortages of places for night photography options. Assuming, you want the "normal" touristy shots which most first timers want. Westminster area (Abby, Big Ben and the Eye), the Tower Bridge and Tower of London. All great night shots. But don't forget Piccadilly Circus area too.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2017 18:46 |  #7

One quick thought, if you are renting a car, remember it is the norm in the UK to drive with a manual box, not an auto. I just remembered that thanks to a post in another thread. At least the peadals are the same way round, even if you are sitting on the wrong side of the car.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 20, 2017 19:33 |  #8

:mrgreen:

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

chicken12
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 21, 2017 21:22 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #9

Thanks for the info. I won't be renting a car this trip but I grew up driving a stick and still have my 97' TT Supra :) speaking of that it needs a good detail this spring and then time for a photo shoot with it.

sponsored links

1,416 views & 3 likes for this thread
Gear for London
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.