Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 06 Feb 2017 (Monday) 03:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

X100F

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,769 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Feb 14, 2017 18:02 |  #16

AlanU wrote in post #18273568 (external link)
Didn't ignore you....I'm busy ;)

Everyone has different uses for gear. Yes it's convenient to have f/2 primes. Your 18mm f/2 is still a tiny lens giving you aprox 27mm equivalent. However I'd rather have a bag of primes that are interchangeable.

I understand you own an X100 camera so you can defend and be argumentative....as usual ;)

The $1299USD ($1700 CDN) X100F is a neat product without a doubt.

I've looked into the X100 when fuji first introduced it many years ago. First Gen X100 had sticky leaf shutter issues with mass recalls.

Majority of the photos on the net show little difference between the leaf shutter vs focal plane shutters in the fuji world. I've seen very little advanced flash photography with the X100 series.

Again.....each to their own in how they use their gear. As long as the photog gets results and enjoys shooting with fuji or whatever manufacturer.

I'm only "argumentative" when people seemingly go out of their way to not acknowledge the points I've made ;)

My argument also has little to do with what gear I own... as I've already said, I agree with you that interchangeable lenses are more important for me and if I were forced to have one camera it would be my X-Pro2... but my and your needs are not relevant to the topic of this thread, what matters is listing the pros and cons of each option to help them make an educated decision.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
cug
69 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Feb 17, 2017 11:36 |  #17

AlanU wrote in post #18273441 (external link)
Due to the nature of HSS the photographer would possibly need to increase the FEC of the flash to increase the flash power of the already inefficient HSS "bursts". Therefore this potentially draws more power from the AA batteries.

The batteries are the much smaller problem as you can always carry more batteries – it's the flash power that gets maxed out VERY quickly. You'd need a multiple times bigger flash to accommodate what you can do with leaf shutter HSS on the X100 series.

The one benefit of the X100 bodies is that it does have an ND filter as the leaf shutters maxed out speed is only 1/4000 compared to the 1/8000 of the focal plane shutters. If you think of it the ND is a bonus and a requirement to help keep the mechanical shutter speeds with stopping down the light that hits the sensor.

You are partly right. The early focal plane shutters of the X series only went up to 1/4000s either. But the leaf shutter started to vignette when you went faster than 1/1000s at @f/2. You had to drop down to f/5.6 to get non-shaded corners at 1/4000s.

But you still get all the other benefits of the built in ND filter like bringing the light down at any aperture from f/2 to f/22. Therefore you always have one available if you want slower shutter speeds, just press a button.

So basically an Xpro2, xt2 with ND filter with a mechanical shutter capable of 1/8000 has more benefits (stopping action with less awkward looking fast moving images.)than a fixed lens X100 with ND filter capable of only 1/4000 mechanical shutter.

Actually I don't think you really get the advantages, but okay, so what, not my problem. For you the advantages of the (current and faster) focal plane shutter might be bigger than the advantages of the leaf shutter.

The X100 series camera is definitely not for everyone and I don't think anybody claims that, but you have to really understand and embrace the differences to enjoy the qualities. And I understand if that's not for you, but then don't claim you actually understand it.

For me the X100 is a total niche camera, I owned an X100T and sold it again (twice actually) due to Fuji's idiotic software and hardware differences that just made my life miserable whenever I changed between the cameras, but other than that I at least understood and embraced the qualities when I had it.

Xenon007
21 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Canada
Feb 18, 2017 00:37 |  #18

I very much enjoyed reading this review.
Also check out the youtube video at the end of the review article on the X100F.

https://olafphotoblog.​com ...he-fujifilm-x100f-review/ (external link)

Xenon007
21 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Canada
Feb 18, 2017 00:44 |  #19

One of my favourite living street photographers:

http://valeriejardinph​otography.com/street/ (external link)

She loves her X100F

https://valeriejardin.​wordpress.com ...01/25/the-x100f-in-paris/ (external link)

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by corndog cabernet. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 19, 2017 06:02 |  #20

I'm new to the Fuji (camera) world having within the last week bought a super clean X100S. I read a lot about them though and felt very confident and comfortable choosing the 100S. A T would have been equally good but they cost a bit more and I felt the very minor differences didn't add up to much, for me. The new F doesn't really float my boat as it is quite pricy and I don't need 24 mp.

To the topic… I'm finding the X100 a remarkable photographic tool. That quiet leaf shutter with the (almost) unlimited sync speed is very desirable IMO. The built in flash is quite useful and the ND filter is a super cool feature as well. The simplicity of the fixed lens is actually freeing, to me. I plan to avoid the trappings of a "system" camera with this little gem. That means no external flash, no lens converters, etc. The 35mm perspective is maybe my favorite and often have an EF35 f2 on my 6D.

I applaud Fuji for all the X cameras, but the 100 series really fills a niche for me. I can always, and will, use my Canon stuff for more advanced projects.

One more thing. My last film camera was a Contax G2 w/ 28, 45, and 90mm lenses. It was a masterpiece of a camera that I still miss using. I always hoped that Kyocera would produce a digital version of it that accepted those brilliant Zeiss lenses, but it never happened. The X100 series evokes some of the goodness and handling traits of that camera and in some ways is an even more powerful and versatile camera.

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Feb 21, 2017 11:11 |  #21

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18273743 (external link)
... but my and your needs are not relevant to the topic of this thread, what matters is listing the pros and cons of each option to help them make an educated decision.

I learned early on to filter out the static in online forums when I'm looking for information. It's not really that different from hanging out in the lobby of a photo convention. Even the in your face, my way is the only way kind of people do provide information. Although I was comical to listen to a person smeg David Hobby using the x100s with stobes didn't know what he was talking about, and David was standing right there.

I've got the 70-200, I've got the 85mm 1.4 etc. But I wasn't using them on a daily basis. When I was using them, i was using them as a crutch. The X100 series makes it harder to use that way.

When I looked back at the cameras I've used that I learned the most out of, they were simple and forced me to really see. The Rollicord TLR, and teh Mamiya TLR, were both mechical, DIdn't have metering worth crap, and I hard to think as well as see. I had to learn the camera.

The threads here and in other places about lens all gave me things to think about. Sometimes the arguments are entertaining.

The threads sometimes take on a life of their own. To me right now I don't care about leaf vs focal plane shutter, or interchangable lens. I"m not a good enough photographer for that. Now in a year or two, maybe. Thanks for your input.

Now still waiting on shipping date for that X100F.

Canon EOS 80D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 35mm F1.4L II USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM |

cug
69 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post has been edited 8 months ago by cug.
Feb 22, 2017 22:48 |  #22

inwardphoto wrote in post #18280496 (external link)
To me right now I don't care about leaf vs focal plane shutter, or interchangable lens. I"m not a good enough photographer for that. Now in a year or two, maybe. Thanks for your input.

That's an interesting statement. The leaf vs. focal plane shutter advantages and disadvantages will affect you, no matter how good or bad your photography skills are. There are things to keep in mind for both of them. Mastering the technical abilities and understanding the shortcomings of your camera is important or you will end up very confused why something isn't working as you expect it to.

As an example (and you might or might not know that, I'm not implying either way, it's just an example): When you receive the X100F, go into the sound setup and turn off the artificial shutter sound before asking yourself (and a forum): "What the hell is everybody talking about? This leaf shutter isn't nearly as silent as people make it out to be!"

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,769 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Feb 22, 2017 23:38 |  #23

cug wrote in post #18282297 (external link)
That's an interesting statement. The leaf vs. focal plane shutter advantages and disadvantages will affect you, no matter how good or bad your photography skills are. There are things to keep in mind for both of them. Mastering the technical abilities and understanding the shortcomings of your camera is important or you will end up very confused why something isn't working as you expect it to.

As an example (and you might or might not know that, I'm not implying either way, it's just an example): When you receive the X100F, go into the sound setup and turn off the artificial shutter sound before asking yourself (and a forum): "What the hell is everybody talking about? This leaf shutter isn't nearly as silent as people make it out to be!"

Solid points.

I actually got really frustrated when I first got my X100T because it wouldn't allow me to turn on the flash. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on... someone on the forum pointed out that if the "Silent mode" was on then I couldn't use the onboard flash... turned out to be the problem.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Feb 23, 2017 11:39 as a reply to EverydayGetaway's post |  #24

I've got and evernote notebook, where i've been putting all the comments and recomendations from people about camera setup with a checkbox list for the ones I'm looking for.

Canon EOS 80D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 35mm F1.4L II USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM |

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Mar 01, 2017 10:24 |  #25

Still no shipping date. Now I'm having buyers remorse and wondering if I really should spend the money.

Then I see the wonderfully unique, beautiful woman, and since I was in grocery store I didn't have my camera with me. This is why I'm guying this camera.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Mar 01, 2017 10:31 |  #26

inwardphoto wrote in post #18288844 (external link)
Then I see the wonderfully unique, beautiful woman, and since I was in grocery store I didn't have my camera with me. This is why I'm guying this camera.

Judging from the Freudian slip you best get that camera soon, or else you may go 'round the bend.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Mar 30, 2017 14:30 |  #27

Still waiting. Best guess is sometime in early April. Anticipation.

BG ­ Ed
Joined Feb 2012
Lexington KY USA
Mar 30, 2017 15:01 as a reply to inwardphoto's post |  #28

I have the X100T and love it. I recently went looking for an X-T2 and ran into the same frustration you have waiting for a ship date on the X100F. My solution was to look elsewhere from the place I initially ordered it through (one of the big camera retailers most of us on here use a lot). I ended up finding what I wanted through Amazon, direct from a somewhat smaller online camera seller. So if you are really itching for the X100F, you might search around a bit and find one much faster. Seems like the biggest retailers might also be the ones with long order wait lists. Best of luck; whenever you get it I am sure you will love it.

mark2009
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Northeast , USA
Mar 30, 2017 15:19 |  #29

Yea, I was bored one day and made the mistake of buying a used xe1, which went to a xe2, then I figure I try a x100, which went to a x100s, and to my current x100t. i ended up selling all my canon gear after 20plus years. Because I'm down to shooting more family stuff, I'm down to a x100t and a Sony rx100. I loved the xe2, but the x100t took me out of the decision making process, should I buy this lense, should I only bring the 18-55, no, I might be shooting at night, maybe the 35mm,,,etc...
The x100t has set me free:>;)

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Mar 31, 2017 15:41 |  #30

I"ve rented X100T many times, so I'm pretty sure about by my usage. I sold of a bunch of stuff I hadn't used in ages. Keeping the canon 80D, 70-200, the 35mm and the 85 1.4. Everything else went. Doing at local camera shop and got deal on trade in and purchase that my check book could live with. So right now my checkbook is ruling my gear aquision syndrome.

I"m a little concerned that the two locals I know that have them already have had some quality control issues. But we shall see. I"ve got a collection of accesories already for when it shows up.

sponsored links

3,390 views & 5 likes for this thread
X100F
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.