Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 17 Feb 2017 (Friday) 09:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does the brand of a lens always matter?

DarthLopez
33 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 17, 2017 09:29 |  #1

It maybe a dumb question but I'm wondering if the brand of a lens always matters? I have a Rebel T6i. Which I figured might be a good entry DSLR especially for the cost of the bundle I got for it. What I really want to do is night sky shots landscapes and also maybe some portraits/pets in the future.

Right Now I have a an EF-S 18-55mm and an EF-S 55-250mm Lens for it. But looking for those with greater zoom capabilites I want to know if i'm restricted to pretty much only canon now or if other lenses are compatible with the body than canon. I'm sure they'd say in specifications but I figured I'd ask before I wasted time looking and considering other brands.

My Photo Gallery So far (external link)

sponsored links
s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by s1a1om. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 17, 2017 09:52 |  #2

Just make sure whatever lens you buy has the EF-mount. Rokinon, Samyang, and others all make lenses compatible with Canon bodies. The B&H site lets you sort lenses by mount. Click EF or EF-S and you will only see lenses that will work with your Canon Body.

For night sky shots, very wide angle (<16mm) fast primes seem to be the most popular as it helps to minimize/eliminate star trails without a tracker.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Lexington Ky
Feb 17, 2017 09:52 |  #3

There are tons of high quality third party lenses out there, just make sure that they are compatible with either canons EF or EF-S mount. Just remember that there is no one "do it all" lens. I may be miss-reading your comment about looking for a lens with "greater zoom capabilities" but to me that sounds like you are looking for something that covers a very wide range of focal lengths like the Tamron or Sigma 16-300's that are out there. There is no problem with grabbing something like that as a travel solution, but they aren't the best solution optically. You will generally be happier with your image quality if you pick up a number of primes or zooms with shorter focal length ranges.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

3Rotor
755 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Feb 17, 2017 09:55 |  #4

You're absolutely not restricted to only Canon lenses. There are big third party manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron, etc... that produce very nice glass, many that rival what Canon can produce at a lower price point. All you need to do is look for Canon's "EF" mount from third parties.

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

DarthLopez
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 17, 2017 21:10 |  #5

solepatch wrote in post #18276498 (external link)
There are tons of high quality third party lenses out there, just make sure that they are compatible with either canons EF or EF-S mount. Just remember that there is no one "do it all" lens. I may be miss-reading your comment about looking for a lens with "greater zoom capabilities" but to me that sounds like you are looking for something that covers a very wide range of focal lengths like the Tamron or Sigma 16-300's that are out there. There is no problem with grabbing something like that as a travel solution, but they aren't the best solution optically. You will generally be happier with your image quality if you pick up a number of primes or zooms with shorter focal length ranges.

Nah I'm looking for somethign affordable for a 70-300mm I founda refurbished canon EF 70-300mm but i'm unsure if i want to try for it. If i could find a third party one for cheaper than that it would be great. I have little intrest in something that's going to sacrifice optical clarity for a wider range of zoom. I simply want greater range for distance shots (and mainly night sky shots) i've read things like a 70-300mm lens are ideal for those Plus I like to generally take pictures at a distance greater than 3 feet (which is why my 55-250mm lens was perfect but I realized the other day when i was trying to shoot a rapid possum that was literally spinning in the street for no apparent reason that I couldn't zoom with it from a comfortable place in a low light environment and get a good image. Infact the camera wouldn't let me shout a few times. Which got me wondering about a minimum and maximum focal range. I might want something like an 18mm-70mm lens should such a thing exist at some point to get better shots of my wittle baby hedgie (she is right now though enjoying her towel time on the floor instead of in her cage) cause she is scared of cameras up close.

But Really I just want something for getting great distance shots right now that also isn't going to bankrupt me. And also very much great night sky shots.

DarthLopez
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 17, 2017 21:12 |  #6

s1a1om wrote in post #18276497 (external link)
Just make sure whatever lens you buy has the EF-mount. Rokinon, Samyang, and others all make lenses compatible with Canon bodies. The B&H site lets you sort lenses by mount. Click EF or EF-S and you will only see lenses that will work with your Canon Body.

For night sky shots, very wide angle (<16mm) fast primes seem to be the most popular as it helps to minimize/eliminate star trails without a tracker.

I have a polaroid wide angle lens filtery adapterishy kinda thing >.>.

I went into this thinking it was fairly straight forward swappable lenses and i'm finding it to be fascinatingly much more complicated and much much much more interesting and worth really learning about.

I'm hoping one day to be good enough to start my own side shop or something. Nothing major but side shop would be nice.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 18, 2017 13:52 |  #7

I'm not sure what "not a lot of money" would be. I started out with two lenses: the Canon 15-85 for a walk around and a 70-300L. You can buy the 70-300L used for around $700 if you are a bit patient. Mine was excellent. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with any of the less expensive 70-300 lenses.... the L is so much better from what I've read.

Now... I got into wildlife photography and 300mm wasn't long enough. I now have a 100-400 ii and it's amazing. I still have the 70-300L because it's so good. It's out on "loan" our youngest son.

So, if you want to get into wildlife photography, I'd save up for the 100-400ii. I saved up for almost a year for it... put away $50 a week.

I'd do the same thing for a good astro lens. There are a couple threads here dedicated to astro photography. You probably already view them. I'd ask them to recommend lenses for astro.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,026 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 18, 2017 14:06 |  #8

What lots of folks don't realize is that there is no industry standard for which way you twist the FL ring to get to the longer FL, nor a standard for which way you twist the Focus ring to get to Infinity.
As a result, you will find differences to BOTH controls, from brand to brand. And from camera manufacturer to camera manufacturer.
Even worse, some aftermarket lens brands are not even consistent within the brand, across various models of lenses! :cry::cry:
So, yes, it CAN matter...to some folks, and not to others

Additionally there are some relatively consistently good aftermarket name brands, and then there are some private-label store brands that can be tremedously mediocre in quality.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 18, 2017 14:42 |  #9

I don't own any third party lenses. I am considering a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary to compliment my 100-400L ii.

I'm not sure which way the zoom rotates. I figure that would bug me if it's the opposite of my Canon lenses, but I'd adjust quickly (maybe). I am a bit anal retentive. ;)

There are a few Canon only people here. I'm not quite one of them but I can tell you, the Canon lenses I own work for me.

Sigma seems to have stepped up to the plate recently. From everything I've read, they have made an effort improve the quality of their products.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III

Wilt
39,026 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Feb 18, 2017 16:16 |  #10

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18277683 (external link)
I don't own any third party lenses. I am considering a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary to compliment my 100-400L ii. .

Sigma 150-600 zooms to longest FL same as Canon (right end), Infinity is at the same side of the distance scale as Canon (right end)

It would make me crazy if I was a sports photographer, and zooming in was in different directions for my Canon vs. my otherbrand zoom lens, both of which I might use interchangeably but mounted on two bodies.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 19, 2017 00:20 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18277759 (external link)
Sigma 150-600 zooms to longest FL same as Canon (right end), Infinity is at the same side of the distance scale as Canon (right end)

It would make me crazy if I was a sports photographer, and zooming in was in different directions for my Canon vs. my otherbrand zoom lens, both of which I might use interchangeably but mounted on two bodies.

Thx, Wilt. I'm still a bit conflicted about what I should do. I get semi decent shots with a 1.4X on my 100-400ii. Sometimes, even more than decent. I'd love one of the super telephoto primes but that just can't happen with our current financial situation. That's why I'm even thinking about the Sigma.

On the other hand, I could just change up what I shoot: more people, less wildlife. I'm guessing I'll have to do that as the years go on. I'm almost 64 now and I don't think I'll be shooting heavier lenses ten years from now. We'll see.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Feb 19, 2017 00:42 |  #12

I've never noticed rotation direction until I read about it on this forum and then test on my lens...

...at which point I quickly go back to not caring.

At this point I no longer check.

Off the top of my head, I have 5 third party lenses, 4 of which are zooms, that's a total of 9 rings and I have no idea which ones turn which way. For that matter, I can't recall how the Canon focus or zoom rings turn. The only one that actually made a difference to me IMHO was the 100-400mm push pull, which was faster to frame than any other lens I have ever used.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Wilt
39,026 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Feb 19, 2017 13:19 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18278065 (external link)
I've never noticed rotation direction until I read about it on this forum and then test on my lens...

...at which point I quickly go back to not caring.

At this point I no longer check.

Off the top of my head, I have 5 third party lenses, 4 of which are zooms, that's a total of 9 rings and I have no idea which ones turn which way. For that matter, I can't recall how the Canon focus or zoom rings turn. The only one that actually made a difference to me IMHO was the 100-400mm push pull, which was faster to frame than any other lens I have ever used.

Yeah, well if you exclusively use AF and never manually focus the lens (except to tweak focus, in which can you rock the focus ring back and forth anyway, nullifying any directionality conflict) you don't notice focus direction. So focus direction is usually a non-issue for me, especially since I normally do not tweak focus!

But when you want to very quickly change framing via FL selection, if you wanted to zoom looser but twisted the FL ring and it zoomed tighter so that you missed the looser group shot you wanted, that could be very irritating.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,924 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 20, 2017 07:42 |  #14

It takes me less than a second or two to determine which way to zoom on my lenses, I have several and am used to differing directions so I don't even try to remember which way. I simply go back and forth a little to find out and I am good from that point forward.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by TreeburnerCT.
Feb 20, 2017 08:52 |  #15

I was in the same position as the OP a few months ago, and made the mistake of wasting my money on the Canon 75-300mm III lens, which turned out to be complete junk compared to a good lens. If you don't care if your photos are any better than a P&S or cell phone camera then these general purpose zooms might satisfy your needs, but in the world of photography you aren't going to find any magic lenses that do everything at a low price. It's all about having the option to choose the best lens for the job at hand.

As for the astrophotography you don't want a long focal length zoom for that unless you're talking about detailed moon shots. Typically those doing astro will use an ultra wide angle (less than 15mm) lens with manual focus, a fast aperture, and unless you're using expensive specialized equipment you need to keep your shutter speed under 30 secs to prevent star trailing from the movement of the earth.

I'd suggest reading up on lenses and DSLRs before spending any money. The guide at http://www.exposuregui​de.com/lens-basics.htm (external link) should be helpful in explaining lenses, but the more you read the better understanding of basic principles you'll have and the less money you'll feel you wasted in the long run.

Good luck, welcome to POTN, and remember the only stupid question is the one not asked!

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,082 views & 3 likes for this thread
Does the brand of a lens always matter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.