Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 20 Feb 2017 (Monday) 11:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Makes an Image Take off on the Internet...

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 11:07 |  #1

I've taken hundreds of thousands of images in the passed few years. Not all great but some not so bad If I do say myself. But the thing that stumps me is that the ones I think are just ok can take off in the internet social media game. How does that happen and is the image really better then the next one. Or is it just timing on my part of uploading it to some page. I think we would all like to know the answer to that one.

Like Why is this image getting so much attention on Flickr and is it justified in the image or do people just relate to it in someway. It has been invited to explore and 21 groups and is still going after 1558 fav's !!
Thought it would be interesting here the success of other images and the Photog's thought's..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Tom Reichner. 4 edits done in total.
Feb 20, 2017 11:20 |  #2

Pondrader wrote in post #18279374 (external link)
Like Why is this image getting so much attention on Flickr and is it justified in the image or do people just relate to it in someway. It has been invited to explore and 21 groups and is still going after 1558 fav's !!
Thought it would be interesting here the success of other images and the Photog's thought's..

Jeff, in my opinion, this is the best photo I have ever seen from you.......by a long shot. .It is no surprise at all to me that this image is getting a lot of attention on other sites.

You apparently got down nice and low, so that the background is completely blurred out. This creates a very dramatic look and feel, which is "striking" to most viewers.

The thing that makes it so striking, to me, is the fact that there is a juxtaposition going on. The squirrel is so completely sharp and detailed, with every hair rendered distinctly. The background, on the other hand, is so completely blurred out - not even a little bit in focus, just complete blur. This is all due to the fact that you appear to have shot from eye-level with the subject. It is the juxtaposition of the very, very sharp and detailed against a completely detail-less background, which gives this portrait a most dramatic feel.

Not only is the background completely blurred, but it is a very cool shade of grey. This coolness, combined with the falling snow, combines to communicate the cold of that moment - the viewer feels the cold just from looking at the image.

By the way, f8 was a great decision. Any smaller, and the tail would be more in focus, which would cause you to lose the isolation of the squirrel's head. Any bigger, and some of the key parts of the squirrel would be too soft, and the falling flakes of snow would be too blurred and indistinct. F8 was absolutely perfect for this particular opportunity!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,304 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 20, 2017 11:26 |  #3

Jeff, people enjoy an image where an animal seems to show emotion. Your squirrel looks surprised. I think viewers would make the jump to "This squirrel is surprised about all that snow" whether or not it was true. And your subject is a cute small animal.

Also, what Tom said.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 11:30 |  #4

Yes I think you guys are right. Something for me to work on in my future images.

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 11:34 |  #5

Funny though is ..I would never have picked it as my best. I need to maybe understand better my own work's in progress.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Tom Reichner. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 20, 2017 11:36 |  #6

I keep adding comments to my earlier post because I keep thinking of more things that I like about the image.

Pondrader wrote in post #18279425 (external link)
Funny though is ..I would never have picked it as my best. I need to maybe understand better my own work's in progress.

Look at the backgrounds in all of your photos - just the backgrounds.......woul​d you consider this the best background?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 12:11 |  #7

yes I was working on the depth of the shot a bit earlier and was playing with the aperture to get what I liked. Then I had to leave and the truck was covered in ice so I started it and thats when the snow really came down and I had the snow piling up on him. it only lasted for a few seconds, the shot on either side of this one were not anything like this one.

your right the back ground is a nice uniform grey behind him.

flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,304 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 20, 2017 12:11 |  #8

Another thing is the pose. You caught this squirrel when its upper body was slightly twisted. It's looking to the right (my right), but its paws, the average location of both of them, go to the left. So this animal isn't in a static pose, just being a specimen and staring at the camera. It seems to be in the middle of a movement. This pose suggests action. Something off camera got the sq's attention, and it's turning to look. (The same thing applies to people. Candid shots of people doing something are more interesting than those typical vacation snapshots of the photographer's relatives standing squarely in front of a landmark, wearing frozen smiles.)

The position of the paws helps to show what's happening. When sq's sit up, they usually hold their paws symmetrically, with or without food in them. But this sq has one paw higher than the other, and its toes are relaxed, not curled in. So it forgot what it was doing with its hands when it noticed something out of the frame. All very spontaneous. We can see that the sq has a mental life.

The head and paws going in different directions helps the composition, too.

I've thought for a while that bird photos are more engaging if the bird is looking over its shoulder, or close to that. Its head and body point different ways, at least somewhat.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 12:14 |  #9

OhLook wrote in post #18279481 (external link)
Another thing is the pose. You caught this squirrel when its upper body was slightly twisted. It's looking to the right (my right), but its paws, the average location of both of them, go to the left. So this animal isn't in a static pose, just being a specimen and staring at the camera. It seems to be in the middle of a movement. This pose suggests action. Something off camera got the sq's attention, and it's turning to look. (The same thing applies to people. Candid shots of people doing something are more interesting than those typical vacation snapshots of the photographer's relatives standing squarely in front of a landmark, wearing frozen smiles.)

The position of the paws helps to show what's happening. When sq's sit up, they usually hold their paws symmetrically, with or without food in them. But this sq has one paw higher than the other, and its toes are relaxed, not curled in. So it forgot what it was doing with its hands when it noticed something out of the frame. All very spontaneous. We can see that the sq has a mental life.

I've thought for a while that bird photos are more engaging if the bird is looking over its shoulder, or close to that. Its head and body point different ways, at least somewhat.

Ahh.... I think your right, I do try for that shot

flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 20, 2017 12:16 |  #10

Here's my two cents.

Lots of people, perhaps most people, see squirrels all the time. I know I do. So the familiarity of the subject has something to do with its popularity. In other words, people say to themselves.... Oh, I've seen squirrels so many times but I've never been able to take a photo like that.... look at how cute "he" is... and his tongue.... so cute.

That's what makes things take off.

Personally, I prefer many of your fox and pine marten photographs. I've never seen a fox or pine marten up close.... so your photos of them bring them to me in a way I've never seen. Plus I can guess a bit of what you've had to go through to put yourself in a position to get the photographs. Squirrels are often in our backyards. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Pondrader.
Feb 20, 2017 12:23 |  #11

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18279492 (external link)
Here's my two cents.

Lots of people, perhaps most people, see squirrels all the time. I know I do. So the familiarity of the subject has something to do with its popularity. In other words, people say to themselves.... Oh, I've seen squirrels so many times but I've never been able to take a photo like that.... look at how cute "he" is... and his tongue.... so cute.

That's what makes things take off.

Personally, I prefer many of your fox and pine marten photographs. I've never seen a fox or pine marten up close.... so your photos of them bring them to me in a way I've never seen. Plus I can guess a bit of what you've had to go through to put yourself in a position to get the photographs. Squirrels are often in our backyards. ;)

I know what your saying Kim,,, Good points all. This is good, maybe we can all learn from this conversation

flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 20, 2017 12:30 |  #12

OhLook wrote in post #18279481 (external link)

Very acute observations. I learned a lot from your post, Spidey. I'm going to try to incorporate that into my shots this spring up at the St. Augustine bird rookery.

Thanks again.

And thank you, Jeff, for starting this thread. I think it should prove interesting. Hopefully, it will take off like the above photo. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 12:32 |  #13

Ok I just stepped outside and shot for a couple min's. So the BG is a little busy on the Hairy but he's twisted around and the Deer no one likes much because of the back ground is to messy. I need to cut that bush back so I have more room to blur the BG for the Deer. Ya the Sun is shining right now.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by tonylong.
Feb 20, 2017 12:32 |  #14

OhLook wrote in post #18279410 (external link)
Jeff, people enjoy an image where an animal seems to show emotion. Your squirrel looks surprised. I think viewers would make the jump to "This squirrel is surprised about all that snow" whether or not it was true. And your subject is a cute small animal.

Also, what Tom said.

This comment makes a very good point. the squirrel has a distinct facial expression, which is not so common with "candid" wildlife photos! it gives the impression of what you could call "character" or "personality"! Heck, those of us who spend time with critters such as dogs or cats really thrive when those critters show some lively facial expressions (and photos that bring that out are well-loved!

And so,as you spend time around those critters, it pays to be patient and certainly watchful! Sometimes you may observe the subject being "active", and getting a set/sequence of shots can really pay off, because there is a chance you may catch one of those expressions!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 20, 2017 12:42 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18279429 (external link)
I keep adding comments to my earlier post because I keep thinking of more things that I like about the image.

Look at the backgrounds in all of your photos - just the backgrounds.......woul​d you consider this the best background?

Tom,

I don't think I've ever thanked you for your continued input here on POTN. Your posts are always well thought out and your insight has been very valuable to me.

So... a thank you for one POTN member to another.

sponsored links

3,759 views & 34 likes for this thread
What Makes an Image Take off on the Internet...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.