Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 20 Feb 2017 (Monday) 11:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Makes an Image Take off on the Internet...

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 12:46 |  #16

tonylong wrote in post #18279515 (external link)
This comment makes a very good point. the squirrel has a distinct facial expression, which is not so common with "candid" wildlife photos! it gives the impression of what you could call "character" or "personality! Heck, those of us who spend time with critters such as dogs or cats really thrive when those critters show some lively facial expressions (and photos that bring that out are well-loved!

And so,as you spend time around those critters, it pays to be patient and certainly watchful! Sometimes you may observe the subject being "active", and getting a set/sequence of shots can really pay off, because there is a chance you may catch one of those expressions!

Thats the truth..

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 20, 2017 13:06 |  #17

Just adding my one sentence comment........If it's kid's or animals doing cute things, it's seems to be popular.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 13:20 |  #18

Very similar shot without the human emotion, or look of surprise

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 20, 2017 13:22 |  #19

Pondrader wrote in post #18279574 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=182​79574&i=i56889303
forum: Wildlife Talk

Close, Jeff.... but not quite as engaging as the first one. The first one brings you into squirrel brain, somehow.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 13:23 as a reply to Phoenixkh's post |  #20

Yes,...

flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 20, 2017 13:29 |  #21

OhLook wrote in post #18279410 (external link)
Jeff, people enjoy an image where an animal seems to show emotion. Your squirrel looks surprised. I think viewers would make the jump to "This squirrel is surprised about all that snow" whether or not it was true. And your subject is a cute small animal.

Also, what Tom said.

^^^
somewhat anthropomorphized animal in the photo, viewers find it charming when they see 'people-like' characteristics and behavior in animals and are amused by it.

Photos go beyond 'technically perfect' and 'compositionally well done' for most laypeople...why they do not object to seeing mis-exposed bulls-eyed subject, and post scenes with grey snow.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 20, 2017 13:49 |  #22

This one does have some of the facial expression, but the curved axis from head down through midsection isn't there to suggest that the sq is just now turning around, and too much of the body is out of focus.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Pondrader.
Feb 20, 2017 13:58 |  #23

OhLook wrote in post #18279607 (external link)
This one does have some of the facial expression, but the curved axis from head down through midsection isn't there to suggest that the sq is just now turning around, and too much of the body is out of focus.

Yes I was still at f5 and was in the process of thinking more depth

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 20, 2017 15:05 |  #24

I really, really love this one as well. The depth of field is shallower, but you still mange to get both the face and the front feet in focus, which is what really counts the most. I would love to see more image to the right of the squirrel - if there were more canvas in that direction, it would make a great photo at a 2:1, or possibly even a 3:1 aspect ratio.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 16:22 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18279677 (external link)

I really, really love this one as well. The depth of field is shallower, but you still mange to get both the face and the front feet in focus, which is what really counts the most. I would love to see more image to the right of the squirrel - if there were more canvas in that direction, it would make a great photo at a 2:1, or possibly even a 3:1 aspect ratio.

Unfortunately Tom that is the entire image as shot zero crop and they have little to no processing. I would have stretched the right side as well.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 20, 2017 16:28 |  #26

Pondrader wrote in post #18279750 (external link)
Unfortunately Tom that is the entire image as shot zero crop and they have little to no processing. I would have stretched the right side as well.

But some folks are masters of Photoshop, and would have little difficulty in creating the additional canvas. .That's pretty much where I was going with my suggestion of more canvas.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 16:55 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #27

Yes I know, and the back ground lends itself to it very well

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Feb 20, 2017 17:13 |  #28

One that I felt the same way about.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 22, 2017 12:18 |  #29

May I make a suggestion? I think this image would be a perfect fit for the current DSLR Speed Challenge:
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​476306

But if you are interested in entering it there, you'd need to hurry - challenge closes at midnight tonight!

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Texas, USA
Feb 22, 2017 12:33 as a reply to post 18279425 |  #30

I can't judge my own pictures either. One pic I thought was awesome was met with dead silence, another one got all sorts of praise.

sponsored links

3,578 views & 34 likes for this thread
What Makes an Image Take off on the Internet...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.