Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 20 Feb 2017 (Monday) 12:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you or someone you know have TOO MUCH CAMERA?

Nathan
So boring
7,696 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nathan. (3 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2017 12:00 |  #1

Interpret the subject as you please. I can probably rant on and on about people I know who have more camera than they need and share some funny stories. However, I too fall into this category.

I cannot claim to use every single function of my 5D3s' capabilities. For example, I've never programmed my custom shooting modes... I probably should. There are also a few features I've played with, but haven't really utilized - e.g. My Menu, double exposures, lens microadjustments, even AE lock... list goes on.

• My #1 offense: Video.
  • My #2 offense: Off-camera flash.
What makes you or someone else guilty of having too much camera?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,602 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 20, 2017 12:41 |  #2

I don't think it's a matter of having "too much camera" so much as they just throw feature after feature at it, and all I really care about is whether it meets my needs.

I rarely shoot actiony stuff but when I do, I'm glad to have the decent AF. I shoot in manual a lot, but I'm glad to have the configurable exposure modes. The extra resolution and DR of the 5D Mark IV make me want to upgrade from the III. I don't care so much about the fact that it's added in refinements in almost every other area, or other features like GPS that I wouldn't mind having.

When it comes down to it, most of the features are superfluous to me. 4K isn't even on my radar. Based on how you describe it, I'd say almost any modern camera is too much for any one user, but they're trying to draw in a huge variety of users.

Too much camera would suggest to me that the person doesn't have the skill to make the most of the camera, regardless of how they use it or however many of its features they do or don't use.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,605 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 20, 2017 12:48 |  #3

My wife is "using" my 70D. I ended up with a 1D IV after a stint with a 7D2.

Anyway, it's too much camera for her. She has to ask me repeatedly what the settings should be. She can't seem to be bothered by the technical stuff.

Now, that being said.... she takes amazing photographs and I mean Amazing. She gets bird photos I miss and her interior stuff she does for her work come out looking like she hired a professional.

So, she's weak on the technical side.... but way ahead of me on the creative side. I'm trying to learn how to think like she does... within my own limitations. Some of this stuff you just can't teach/learn. And I'm patient when she asks me how to set up her camera.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,696 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 21, 2017 11:56 |  #4

Colorblinded wrote in post #18279523 (external link)
I'd say almost any modern camera is too much for any one user, but they're trying to draw in a huge variety of users.

Too much camera would suggest to me that the person doesn't have the skill to make the most of the camera, regardless of how they use it or however many of its features they do or don't use.

I agree with you that almost any modern camera carries a lot of features for any one user. I did say to interpret the topic as you pleased, so I appreciate your response. To me, too much camera could mean what you said - above and beyond a person's capability to use - but it could also mean too much camera than I need or want. Since it may just be like you said - they keep throwing feature after feature into a camera - then maybe I'm not to blame that my camera is too much!  :p

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18279532 (external link)
My wife is "using" my 70D... it's too much camera for her... that being said.... she takes amazing photographs

Mine, too. My wife often walks away with a far better photo than I do using her Windows phone. She knows how to choose the angle or stitch the panorama... her composition skills are just flat out better than mine. She just doesn't desire to carry a DSLR around.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,136 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 21, 2017 12:35 |  #5

No such thing as too much camera; just features that are available to experiment with and learn from, IMO.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,221 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by rantercsr.

Feb 21, 2017 13:19 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #6

I suppose you are correct.. if we are staying all actual and factual

But i assumed the OP was trying to have a little fun with this thread

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 21, 2017 13:43 |  #7

:lol:

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,879 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 21, 2017 13:59 |  #8

Nathan wrote in post #18279463 (external link)
  • My #1 offense: .........
  • My #2 offense: ........
    What makes you or someone else guilty of having too much camera?
    I don't see where having excess gear is offensive, or something that someone can be "guilty" of.
    Guilt infers some kind of wrongdoing, and there is nothing wrong with having more than one needs.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Alveric
    Goldmember
    4,413 posts
    Gallery: 31 photos
    Joined Jan 2011

Feb 21, 2017 14:23 |  #9

It's more like cameras nowadays have TOO MUCH BS. All I wanna do is make photographs: manual mode is more than enough for that.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
    Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

mcluckie
    I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
    2,055 posts
    Gallery: 97 photos
    Joined Jul 2009
    Location: Chicago & Terminal 1, 3 or 5 with Samsonite & Pelican

Feb 21, 2017 14:41 |  #10

I think my 5Ds do video.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
    all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 85L1.4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32

john ­ crossley
    Goldmember
    2,171 posts
    Gallery: 47 photos
    Joined Nov 2009

Feb 21, 2017 14:42 |  #11

And I thought having a black cloth to drape over my head and shoulders was the height of over indulgence.

I think I need to modernise and move into the twentieth century.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Nathan
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    So boring
    7,696 posts
    Joined Aug 2007
    Post edited over 1 year ago by Nathan.

Feb 21, 2017 14:48 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18280631 (external link)
    I don't see where having excess gear is offensive, or something that someone can be "guilty" of.
    Guilt infers some kind of wrongdoing, and there is nothing wrong with having more than one needs.

Depends on how seriously you take my question. Did I dip my hand into the cookie jar? Guilty, as charged. Was it wrong? I no think so!

On the other hand, the point of this thread is just to get you thinking a little bit. I'm certainly guilty of shaming those "photographers" who carry around DSLRs set to Auto. At the same time, though... there are features I don't use on my camera, too. That means the only thing that separates us is a matter of degree. That said, maybe I should look into those features I set aside. I played with them before... why not play with them until I know how to use them? If I decide I don't need them - video, for example - then so be it.

Let's take what's (more or less) too much camera and make it just right.

Alveric
    Goldmember
    4,413 posts
    Joined Jan 2011

Feb 21, 2017 15:27 |  #13

john crossley wrote in post #18280688 (external link)
    And I thought having a black cloth to drape over my head and shoulders was the height of over indulgence.

I think I need to modernise and move into the twentieth century.

Well, as a matter of fact, the black cloth is mighty invaluable when you're shooting under full sun and need to chimp. I've used one myself.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
    Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

PhotosGuy
    75,251 posts
    Gallery: 8 photos
    Joined Feb 2004

Feb 21, 2017 15:39 |  #14

Almost everyone I know has too much camera. That's not a bad thing, though.
    I used to know this guy (VERY German) who always had the latest equipment, but always showed me the SAME needle-sharp Panatomic-X prints! I liked him a lot 'cause I'd buy his "obsolete" stuff at an excellent price when the new models came out. I could always sell his old stuff I already had for more than I'd paid for the new. Wish he was still around!!! ;-)a

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
    Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
    Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
    Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
    New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

joedlh
    Cream of the Crop
    5,233 posts
    Joined Dec 2007
    Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 21, 2017 15:55 |  #15

I had a relative who came into some money and wanted to buy a good camera. Knowing her skills and likely motivation for learning all the ins and outs of her camera, I recommended a Rebel. Set it on green box mode and you're good to go I told her. Apparently a salesman convinced her that anything less than a 7D was too limiting of her horizons.

You can probably guess where this is going.

We did a shoot together once. She complained to me that it was really hard for her to get a lot of her shots in focus. I was shooting a 40D at the time and wasn't familiar with the 7D. I told her I'd take a look and see if anything popped out at me. Well, pop it did. She had one focus point set and it was the one all the way on the left. I'm not sure how she managed it. I fixed it, switched it to P mode, and handed it back to her.

This kind of thing happened more than once.

So yes, sometimes a person can have too much camera.

Joe
    Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
    http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
    Editing ok

sponsored links

6,322 views & 26 likes for this thread
    Do you or someone you know have TOO MUCH CAMERA?
    FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.