Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 21 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 14:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Costco Prints

Trevor04GT
Joined Dec 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Feb 21, 2017 14:04 |  #1

Hello everyone!

I am in a rush to get some 8x10s printed for this weekend. How does the Costco Photo Center do? I am so tired of how terrible Target/Walgreens is! I've had amazing luck with Shutterfly (online) but I need these prints within a day or so. I just wanted to see what you all have experienced with the color/quality of the Costco prints.

Thanks!

-Trevor

Trevor - Canon 6D / Canon 35mm 1.4L / Canon 50mm 1.4 USM / Canon 24-105mm F4L / Canon 135mm F2L

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 21, 2017 14:09 |  #2

I've abandoned home printing of anything 8x10" or larger, in favor of getting prints (at less cost than home printing) from Costco. I only print at home for the quicky 4x6" or 5x7", but very rarely 8x10.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Trevor04GT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Feb 21, 2017 14:10 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #18280643 (external link)
I've abandoned home printing of anything 8x10" or larger, in favor of getting prints (at less cost than home printing) from Costco.

That's good to know. I found an article that says to turn off AutoCorrect and order on Lustre to make sure they are better. We'll see!

Any other success stories?

Trevor - Canon 6D / Canon 35mm 1.4L / Canon 50mm 1.4 USM / Canon 24-105mm F4L / Canon 135mm F2L

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 21, 2017 14:13 |  #4

Much prefer photosensitive paper chemical processed vs. inkjet...I hope they have not changed that, but they did quit printing at my closest Costco and do all work only thru another outlet that is not so convenient for me, for whatever reason.

but, yes, I never would have Autocorrect!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,390 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 9 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Feb 21, 2017 14:15 |  #5

Trevor04GT wrote in post #18280636 (external link)
Hello everyone!

I am in a rush to get some 8x10s printed for this weekend. How does the Costco Photo Center do? I am so tired of how terrible Target/Walgreens is! I've had amazing luck with Shutterfly (online) but I need these prints within a day or so. I just wanted to see what you all have experienced with the color/quality of the Costco prints.

Thanks!

-Trevor

I have been happy with Costco. We use them for anything greater than 13x19, otherwise I print those at home for less money. I have used Costco to do metal prints, and they come out very good too. Be sure to always check all your photo items there at the lab when you pick them up however, so you have a 2nd set of eyes there if something is wrong. They do prints there, but other things get subbed out and shipped back.

Also, if you have a Sams Club or Walmart, many of them use the Frontier printers, which produce great prints. You could check with them as well. I think there are fewer and fewer large scale commercial printers left though, so the systems may not vary as much these days.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 21, 2017 14:15 |  #6

I too have given up on printing at home and use Costco almost exclusively. For snapshot type of prints I just leave the "auto" flag checked but for ones I really want to get right I'll adjust based on their printer profile and have gotten really good results. You can visit THIS (external link) link and look up your costco and load the appropriate printer profile

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mistermonday
360 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Ottawa Canada
Feb 21, 2017 15:17 |  #7

I have done many hundreds of prints at Costco. They do an awesome job and the costs are really low. The labs in Canada are actually run by a professional lab on the west coast and there is a lot of controlled automation and professional equipment located at the Costco sites that have photo centers. If you know what you are doing with respect to ICC Color Profiles, then you can download a precise Color Profile for the printer at your Costco chosen location. You can upload a an image converted to that profile in Photoshop. Just be sure to turn OFF Costco Auto Correction box in the online order you place. If you are unable or unwilling to mess with precise color and profiles you can just convert your uploadable file to sRGB format and the prints will come out pretty close.
Cheers, Murray

PhotosGuy
74,864 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Feb 21, 2017 15:34 |  #8

I don't try to compete with Costco's $500,000 printers or their $3 price for great 12X18" Lustre prints, so I don't try to. I can upload files at 1AM & pick up the prints at 10AM, which is fast enough to make me happy, & I don't have to think about maintenance.
The people at my Costco are excellent, & have been for 7 years. In my case, they're faster, cheaper, & every bit as good as the pro lab that I used for decades. OTOH, there have been a (very) few mentioned in the forum that don't make the grade.

As for my local pro lab that I used for 30 years & paid for most of their new wing, they want two days normal processing, 10 times the price, & won't provide a printer profile. I'll only use them again when they can provide something that Costco can't.

Each store has their own profile, & they're updated about once a year. Mine does it in the Fall. OTOH, I forgot the profile once & the 2nd profiled print came looking the same! Just lucky that my color space was the same as their profile, I guess. I asked them & they said that they've noticed that there wasn't much difference, either.
If you use Image> Mode / Convert to profile, uncheck the ICC profile box at the bottom when you File> "Save As".
DO NOT use the Fast Upload option, unless you like having your file size reduced by 95%
Don't use the mail option, as Costco doesn't print those.
Turn Autocorrect off. It's just before clicking on "Place Order" at the end.
Does costco adjust photos brighness when printing?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

wysiwyg59
Joined Oct 2009
Southern MN
Feb 21, 2017 17:02 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #9

If you have a Costco near you. I live well over and hour from any Costco's

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 21, 2017 17:20 |  #10

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #18280860 (external link)
If you have a Costco near you. I live well over and hour from any Costco's

Yeah, I live well over an hour away, too, but I still use them...just not every day.. But, the prints (so far) are for my personal use so no big rush to see them...if i wanted them quicker I'd maybe use an online processor...or maybe not. ;)

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Trevor04GT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Feb 21, 2017 20:56 |  #11

Well! Good news! I picked up the prints (I ordered a 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 Lustre). I ordered all of the sizes because the 4x6 was $.17 and the 5x7 was like $.49. I got out of there for under $2.50 for three beautiful prints. The Lustre is a 100% have-to-have. I'm very impressed with it. I still think shutterfly did a better job, but for these prices, you cannot beat it!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,390 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 21, 2017 21:11 |  #12

Great prices! I print at home, and have my total costs these days for 13x19 at right around $1.00 or so. If I have a bunch to print, I upload them to Costco or Sams Club, I don't want the time it takes to set them all up for print, but if I need a few here and there, I print myself. It is nice having options!

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Feb 21, 2017 22:52 |  #13

I am lucky enough to live less than 5 minutes from Costco and use their printing all the time. The only issue I have is that sometimes they are a bit to warm. I have a calibrated monitor and turn off their auto-correct. If it isn't too much extra and you don't have time to reprint if you don't like them, you may consider printing 2-3 versions and using the one you like best.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 21, 2017 22:54 |  #14

mike_d wrote in post #18281186 (external link)
I am lucky enough to live less than 5 minutes from Costco and use their printing all the time. The only issue I have is that sometimes they are a bit to warm. I have a calibrated monitor and turn off their auto-correct. If it isn't too much extra and you don't have time to reprint if you don't like them, you may consider printing 2-3 versions and using the one you like best.

Do you use their color printer profile? Calibrating your monitor is not enough.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Feb 21, 2017 22:56 |  #15

gjl711 wrote in post #18281187 (external link)
Do you use their color printer profile? Calibrating your monitor is not enough.

I do not as I don't know which printer the job will run on. I've been told that using the wrong custom profile is worse than using none.

sponsored links

2,384 views & 5 likes for this thread
Costco Prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.