Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 20 Mar 2007 (Tuesday) 15:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: How to be Better Informed During Online Purchases

Ming-Tzu
795 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Ming-Tzu.
Feb 17, 2017 23:08 |  #16

Potential Fraudulent Ebay User + Scam Techniques

I recently sold my Canon m3 (body only) to someone on Ebay. I will not reveal the name because this person may still be legitimate. However, I wanted to bring attention to my specific circumstance in case others have the same experience. If it so happens this Ebay user is performing fraudulent activities, I will update this post with the user name (and go through the proper channels on Ebay to report these matters).

Before the transaction, I checked his feedback and rating. 100% rating with over 700 positive feedback. Also, we had multiple correspondence before the transaction, so I was confident this person appeared legitimate.

I went ahead and sold the camera to this user, and sent the item with tracking number. He confirmed receipt of the package and that it's working fine.

What is causing me a great deal of concern, and maybe others can chime in here, is his insistence on me leaving him positive feedback. For over a decade, I have participated in user-to-user online transactions on multiple sites, and have never encountered someone so adamant on receiving positive feedback right away. I even told him that I would be away for the weekend and not able to leave feedback until after the weekend, and he responds with a rant indicating that I can leave feedback on my phone or something. And how insistent is this person? In the past 5-6 hours, we have exchanged about eight Ebay messages about it. It's absolutely absurd. And to top it off, his latest message insinuates that he will find something wrong with the camera, in retaliation for me not leaving feedback. Needless to say, I have it on record that he received the package and noted the camera was working fine, so if he does go through with reporting me to ebay, I will fight tooth and nail on this.

My gut instinct is telling me this person wants me to leave positive feedback. And once I do that, he will note something wrong with the item and report to ebay. But if I have correspondence indicating that the camera was tested and is working fine, am I still on the hook? Not sure how ebay works with buyer disputes and things like that, as I haven't sold on ebay for quite a while. However, if it helps at all, I have around 99% rating and over 200 positive feedback.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but what a PITA, especially for a $330 camera. I'm going to stick with forums from now on.

<insert gear here>

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 18, 2017 00:02 |  #17

It is a weird type of extortion, but I would still report him. http://pages.ebay.com ...s/feedback-extortion.html (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Ming-Tzu
795 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Ming-Tzu. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 18, 2017 00:14 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #18

Thanks for the link. I'm trying to contemplate my plan of action. I may sound paranoid but don't want any offline retaliatory action. Crazy people online may potentially be crazy people offline, so don't want to bring unneeded action on me physically.

I'm going to let things be now, unless he responds significantly in some way (e.g. official reporting to Ebay, elevated threats, etc.).

update:
His user name is siam1. Before careful with this dude. Although his actions "may" not be fraudulent, his conduct with regards to insisting that you leave him IMMEDIATE feedback is very suspect and leads one to believe he may be engaging in fraudulent activity. If not fraudulent, he is definitely OVER THE TOP with his communications, insistence, and threats.

Would not deal with again if I could help it.

<insert gear here>

Furlan
624 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Feb 18, 2017 06:30 |  #19

Did the buyer leave you positive feedback? I buy and sell on e-bay and I believe the buyer if satisfied with the Item purchased should leave initial feedback. This lets the
seller know Item was received and buyer has no problems. As a buyer I leave feedback as soon as I check Item and everything is satisfactory. And I must admit I find it
annoying when seller does not leave feedback in return. So in your case if the buyer left you positive feedback you are the problem.

Ming-Tzu
795 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Ming-Tzu.
Feb 18, 2017 09:18 as a reply to Furlan's post |  #20

Yeah, 99% of the time, I am the buyer on ebay and do the same. I leave feedback once I receive the item and make sure it's OK. I rarely sell things on ebay and decided to give it a try.

In this case, he seemed insistent that I leave the initial feedback, which raises a red flag because seller leaving feedback first is not something I've ever encountered before. That and how adamant he was that I leave feedback first makes me suspect, not to mention the insinuation that he would find a defect with my camera in retaliation.

<insert gear here>

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Nathan.
Feb 21, 2017 13:17 as a reply to Ming-Tzu's post |  #21

If I were you, I'd ignore him. What can he do if you don't leave him feedback? If he does file a claim with the camera, you have documented everything including his threat to file a false complaint.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Ming-Tzu
795 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 21, 2017 13:21 as a reply to Nathan's post |  #22

I left lukewarm feedback and he sent me a long message indicating how the camera was poorly packed, it was raining and the UPS carrier left the box outside, etc. A bunch of jibberish. He is definitely not getting a response from me, now or ever. What a joke lol

<insert gear here>

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Nathan. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 21, 2017 14:54 as a reply to Ming-Tzu's post |  #23

Yeah, just ignore. You have the initial correspondence with him all happy about the camera with no initial complaints. Irrational move on his part to complain about its packaging now. UPS leaving it outside in the rain... well, that's UPS' fight.

Edit: Read your feedback to him. That wasn't even lukewarm. It was ambiguously positive. Should have been like, "Glad to hear you're happy with the purchase. Annoyed you hounded me to leave you positive feedback."

Furlan
624 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Feb 21, 2017 15:29 |  #24

Nathan I guess you don't leave much feedback on e-bay your only allowed eighty characters that includes spacing.

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Feb 22, 2017 11:00 as a reply to Furlan's post |  #25

I was wondering about that. Okay. I'd just respond, then, "Glad you like your purchase. Here's the feedback you persistently requested." 76 characters :lol:

Ming-Tzu
795 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 22, 2017 13:52 |  #26

That's a good one, but I like my feedback better haha

<insert gear here>

sponsored links

16,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to be Better Informed During Online Purchases
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.