Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 12 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 17:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding tips for first timer and limited gear

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Feb 18, 2017 09:09 |  #16

On my cheap, bare bones set up, I have a on camera flash (do you still have the 580? and the 85? that I either bounce or use bare strait at them, depending on what I have to work with.

100mmL macro is great for both ring shots and portraits, decent in low light. My worry is where you only have florescent light.. hopefully you can bounce there with the flash.

So that is my suggestion, if you have the 580, check out this site, and practice your butt off between now and then
This guy has the best bounce site instructions on the net.

Neil black foam thingy (external link)

Rent a 100L, and then borrow/rent another back up body.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links
telephoto500
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Feb 18, 2017 19:31 |  #17

Since you don't want to back out of it, here's my recommendation regarding gear. I would rent a full frame body with 70-200 2.8 IS for versatility and low light performance, you can use it for couples portraits and getting shots during the ceremony and reception from a distance. Use the sigma on the 7D to cover the wide end, that way you have two bodies and two zooms and never have to think about changing lenses.

Shooting a wedding for the first time is stressful, and you would want to simplify as much as you can. Don't panic and have fun!

shuttertreasure.com
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/138443754@N08/ (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 18, 2017 23:19 |  #18

Bounce flash off ceiling and walls. Strongest flash you can get (you can always reduce power).

A week or so before the wedding day check out the venue and see what color the ceilings are...dark ceilings will eat up your flash power...oddly colored ceilings will impart a strange color to your images. Even a minimal, poor-man's flash reflector made from a styrofoam plate or white foam sheet strapped to the flash and used as a bounce card will help if the ceilings are too high.

Shoot RAW.
Shoot RAW.
Shoot RAW.

Beware of too much distortion if you use the wide end of the Sigma.

Grainy, noisy images are preferred over blurred images caused from camera shake or subject movement. Turn your ISO up if you decide to shoot with available light.

Personally, I would shoot mostly with the 50mm STM....use your feet for zooming.

As for renting gear...a 24-70mm would be nice. The f2.8 L would be nice for bokeh, but I would probably rather use the f4 (IS would be really nice for using lower shutter speeds) to insure I had adequate depth of field with a lens that I wasn't familiar with.

Definitely take some test shots at the church/chapel prior to the actual wedding day to get the "lay of the land".

Just some of my rookie thoughts... :)
Have fun!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,868 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 19, 2017 12:08 |  #19

You can't always use your feed for zooming at a wedding. Sometimes you need to react more quickly, sometimes you need to stay still to avoid being a distraction.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 19, 2017 14:45 |  #20

tim wrote in post #18278399 (external link)
You can't always use your feed for zooming at a wedding. Sometimes you need to react more quickly, sometimes you need to stay still to avoid being a distraction.

Excellent point. To the OP, I am only a rookie so take my suggestions with a grain of salt...I was thinking more along the lines of using minimal equipment.

tim
Light Bringer
50,868 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 19, 2017 19:42 |  #21

Intheswamp wrote in post #18278543 (external link)
Excellent point. To the OP, I am only a rookie so take my suggestions with a grain of salt...I was thinking more along the lines of using minimal equipment.

I once had two cameras fail at the same wedding. Turns out I cleaned the contacts using Eclipse, which caused an oxidation layer so the lens couldn't talk to the camera. I've also had a lens fall off the roof of my stationary car, a lens at my feet roll down a hill, walked away from a camera/flash/lens combo connected to the battery pack in my pocket, and probably quite a few other incidents. Weddings are busy.

Moral of the story: have backup equipment.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Feb 23, 2017 21:59 |  #22

I'm glad to say I won't be doing this wedding. Whew!

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 23, 2017 22:27 |  #23

lvph2 wrote in post #18283359 (external link)
I'm glad to say I won't be doing this wedding. Whew!

A congrats of the highest order is in order: Congratulations for a job not done.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 24, 2017 07:01 |  #24

I bet you could hear the pressure releasing from your head, couldn't you?  :p

Ok, you thought this thread was at an end...no, no, no. The only brotherly thing to do for all your fellow-photographers is to explain how you managed to dodge the bullet. ;)

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Feb 24, 2017 07:06 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #25

I went up to them and...............She said her cousin is in the biz and is doing it for them! haha. They do video/photo professionally. Apparently they offered to do it for her. They were worried I would be upset. I told them how big of a relief it was!!! All good! Now I can go back to enjoying my camera and not freaking out about getting ready for that wedding!

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 24, 2017 07:23 |  #26

Ah, the proverbial "Win-Win" gift.

Enjoy your camera!!!! :)

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Feb 24, 2017 14:15 |  #27

Great outcome! Thanks for sharing.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

3,714 views & 3 likes for this thread
Wedding tips for first timer and limited gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.