Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 22 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 13:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC Firmware for Greymarket

Tnelson04
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Feb 24, 2017 05:28 |  #16

I will add in my defense that I bought this lens used off of eBay from the U.K. At the time I had no clue about the firmware update issue & my 80D (which I had just bought) - prior to that I had a 50D.

When the issue came up with freezing in Liveview I researched it online & realized I needed a firmware update but it was too late to return it.

The person I purchased the lens from was kind enough to send me a copy of his receipt which I sent off to Tamron & showed it was purchased from an authorized reseller.

Tamron informed me that even authorized resellers will sell grey-Marley products at times if, say for instance they buy up lens stock from another company in another part of the world

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,489 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Feb 24, 2017 07:05 |  #17

Frodge wrote in post #18283470 (external link)
Most people aren't on vacation when they buy these lenses. Most of these grey market lenses are people trying to beat the system. Now its too bad for them.

that's not what I'm saying. If I'm australian, and I travel to the USA, my tamron lens is effectively grey market in the USA. Aussies LOVE to shop in America, and they could have went to buy a camera, it's really not out of the ordinary.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

iowajim
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
Feb 24, 2017 09:04 |  #18

Tnelson04 wrote in post #18281771 (external link)
Late last year I purchased a used grey-market Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 lens for Canon. I have a Canon 80D & found out that the Liveview feature (which I hardly ever use) does not work with this lens. I contacted Tamron & after several emails to Tamron USA, Tamron Europe & Tamon Japan I found out the lens was from Synapore & they would not provide the free firmware update for the lens to work correctly.

That's the backstory - now my question. Does anyone know of a company/store that would provide the firmware update for me? I live in the Boston MA, USA area if that helps. I asked in PoTN, but didn't get an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Back to the original question, I asked Royal Camera, which is a large regional repair shop, and they indicated that they were not able to update the firmware.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

Tnelson04
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Boston, MA USA
Feb 24, 2017 09:48 as a reply to iowajim's post |  #19

Thanks for the feedback - glad to get back to my original question ;-)a

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Feb 24, 2017 10:09 |  #20

While I appreciate the reason Tamron refuses to service grey market lenses, it seems unfair to punish a potentially unknowing customer by outright refusing to service their products. How would a less educated buyer (ie not a forum member here) know that that great deal they're getting on a lens from Abes of Maine or one of the other bait and switch retailers isn't going to be supported, even for a fee, by the company that made it?

What they should do is charge enough for the service that it makes any lens repair cost more than any potential savings from buying grey market items. Since they've taken such a rigid stand I won't be considering any Tamron items for purchase even though I don't make a habit of buying grey market items.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,092 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Feb 24, 2017 15:35 |  #21

Do like me and sell.

Stick to authorized or sigma or canon

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links

2,234 views & 2 likes for this thread
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC Firmware for Greymarket
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.