Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 05 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 20:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Before and After - The Weekly Editing Challenge

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
Joined Jun 2008
------ snarf ------
Feb 24, 2017 07:14 |  #1336

DPP to convert to .tiff then on to ACR for some color tweeking and lens distortion twirking and cropping.
In PS I messed around with some curves and sharpening and there's some stuff I'm forgetting as well! -?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

sponsored links
Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 24, 2017 12:51 |  #1337

Some RGB adjustment. Levels adjustment with masking. Preserved the wonderful handrail....a little added content, and...

HOSTED PHOTO

www.beeweather.comexternal link

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Feb 24, 2017 21:01 |  #1338

Benitoite wrote in post #18282491 (external link)
The 1 entry per week rule is often loosely interpreted in this thread.

I thought I edited-out the part about 1 entry per week, as consensus seems to favor seeing as many variations as possible. Though that does sometimes make the job of judging more difficult.

Intheswamp wrote in post #18283932 (external link)
Some RGB adjustment. Levels adjustment with masking. Preserved the wonderful handrail....a little added content, and...

ROFL! That would have been me if my camera slipped off that wonderful handrail!

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Feb 25, 2017 03:25 |  #1339

bumpintheroad wrote in post #18284347 (external link)
I thought I edited-out the part about 1 entry per week, as consensus seems to favor seeing as many variations as possible. Though that does sometimes make the job of judging more difficult.

Thanks for clarification

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,013 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Feb 25, 2017 08:50 |  #1340

Here's a B&W version with a copper tint.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

rrblint
19,013 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Feb 25, 2017 22:33 |  #1341

Here's a HDR version done in NIK HDR then finished off in Silver Effects.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by bumpintheroad.
Feb 28, 2017 00:54 |  #1342

Wow, it was exceptionally hard to choose a winner this week.

I think there are two problems to overcome when choosing an edit. First is what I envisioned when I took the photo, and second is what I envisioned when I got into editing myself. Things like choosing the right capture to keep the waterfall smooth while still being able to recover the Bucks County Playhouse on the building wall, straightening and correcting lens distortion, cropping.

There were several edits that had a lot of good going on, but one or two things that turned me off. Overall, the image that spoke to me the most is Benitoite's B&W conversion.

Benitoite wrote in post #18282516 (external link)

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Benitoite in
./showthread.php?p=182​82516&i=i228068246
forum: Competitions

I will say that if Stiga's edit hadn't made the waterfall so gritty, or if Bianchi's edit hadn't blurred the downstream water so much, or had Douglass not cropped-out the waterfall, any of could have easily taken first place.

Aside from being humbled by seeing all the superior editing skills, this thread has actually been very educational. I was able to re-edit my image, incorporating some of the techniques, and feel I've got a much stronger image now.

So Benitoite, it's your turn.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

rrblint
19,013 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Feb 28, 2017 01:07 |  #1343

Congrats Benitoite.

Mark

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Benitoite.
Feb 28, 2017 02:37 as a reply to post 18282178 |  #1344

Thanks for the pick. I think I used an Agfa simulation over some chromatic adjustments for the conversion. So without further ado...

...now compiled into a single, easy to locate thread, that can be added to your subscribe/follow list!

Rules are simple:

• Download the image file from the current week

• Contestants will have 7 days to edit the image and post their edited version to the thread (MON06MAR17)

• The owner of the original image will choose a winner

• The winner will copy & paste this post and include a new downloadable image link

The new image must be unedited / SOOC (straight our of camera), full-resolution, and in a RAW format, ie. CR2, DNG, TIF, etc
    (Dropbox works well for uploading and linking these large files)

The purpose of this game is to be creative and learn new editing techniques. You must give some insight into exactly how you went about editing the image. For example, increased shadows sliders, reduced highlights, local sharpening, white balance adjustment, specific filters used, tone curve adjustments, etc. Comments and/or questions regarding the edits are encouraged.

Dropbox RAW file: https://www.dropbox.co​m ...ukczxzj/IMG_0417.CR​2?dl=0 (external link)

SOOC jpeg:

HOSTED PHOTO

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
Joined Jun 2008
------ snarf ------
Feb 28, 2017 07:05 |  #1345

Congratulations Mr. Benitoite!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Feb 28, 2017 07:42 |  #1346

rrblint wrote in post #18287443 (external link)
Congrats Benitoite.

+1 :-)

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
Joined Jun 2008
------ snarf ------
Mar 01, 2017 11:58 |  #1347

Started in ACR, straightened, auto fix, bumped clarity, vibrance, and saturation a bit. In the HSL tab I reduced the luminosity of the reds, oranges, yellows, and aquas plus reduced the saturation of the yellows and greens to give the image a kind of bland look. In PS I added a layer with the top part painted in a light blue for the sky and set blend mode to multiply, added a mask and masked out areas to create clouds. Added a grunge sharpening action and a saturation layer, masked out a lot of sharpening with a green channel mask, adjusted the sky with a hue/saturation layer plus mask, added a fall colors 3d lut layer to add some warmth and separation to all the green/yellow in the trees and foreground, added a layer filled with black at 11% opacity soft light blend mode plus mask to add some contrast here and there, finally flattened and duplicated layer to add some unsharp mask sharpening and selectively masked out areas. Flattened and saved for web! A little too sharp in some areas but it is what it is! :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK

rrblint
19,013 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Mar 01, 2017 12:43 |  #1348

-Douglas- wrote in post #18288912 (external link)
Started in ACR, straightened, auto fix, bumped clarity, vibrance, and saturation a bit. In the HSL tab I reduced the luminosity of the reds, oranges, yellows, and aquas plus reduced the saturation of the yellows and greens to give the image a kind of bland look. In PS I added a layer with the top part painted in a light blue for the sky and set blend mode to multiply, added a mask and masked out areas to create clouds. Added a grunge sharpening action and a saturation layer, masked out a lot of sharpening with a green channel mask, adjusted the sky with a hue/saturation layer plus mask, added a fall colors 3d lut layer to add some warmth and separation to all the green/yellow in the trees and foreground, added a layer filled with black at 11% opacity soft light blend mode plus mask to add some contrast here and there, finally flattened and duplicated layer to add some unsharp mask sharpening and selectively masked out areas. Flattened and saved for web! A little too sharp in some areas but it is what it is! :lol:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by -Douglas- in
./showthread.php?p=182​88912&i=i123417489
forum: Competitions

Phew...That was a lot of work. Nice result though.

Mark

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
Joined Jun 2008
------ snarf ------
Mar 01, 2017 12:50 |  #1349

rrblint wrote in post #18288945 (external link)
Phew...That was a lot of work. Nice result though.

Ha Ha, yeah I know, lot of work typing all of that!  :p, The edit only took like, 30 seconds, maybe a minute at most, LOL, yeah right! :-P

and thanks!:-D

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Mar 02, 2017 10:36 |  #1350

Congratulations Benitoite!

My Gear flickrexternal link

sponsored links

182,030 views & 2340 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.