Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive
Thread started 29 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 01:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Samyang Rokinon Vivitar 14 2.8 lens

Agustin.Reyes
Joined Apr 2012
Coronado, CA
Feb 19, 2017 23:22 |  #4771

Got to get the hang of the focus, not the lens itself but the distance calculation, I'm really bad at it hahaha

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

--> Instagram (external link) <--
Canon 60D | Canon 5Dc
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 16-35L f/2.8 III | 50mm f/1.8 STM | 70-200L f/2.8 IS USM

sponsored links
merida
Joined Sep 2011
MaƂopolska
Feb 24, 2017 12:11 |  #4772

HOSTED PHOTO

Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Jpatten
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Georgia, United States
Feb 24, 2017 12:14 |  #4773

Orion

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Jpatten's gallery.

Shooting with canon rebel T5 or Canon Rebel XS.
Kit 18-55mm, 18-55mm IS, Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro lens, Canon 60mm f2.8, nifty 50 and Speedlite 600EX-RT (Flash) Rokino 14mm f2.8 UltraWide
My 365 Blog http://jayrayphotos.bl​ogspot.com (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Feb 24, 2017 13:08 |  #4774

I'm seeing a little bit of star trails. How long was the exposure?

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Jpatten
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Georgia, United States
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Jpatten.
Feb 24, 2017 13:11 as a reply to Scrumhalf's post |  #4775

One or two minutes, I can't remember for certain on that exposure. But it was the best of the bunch I tried to take. I may see if I can find a copy of the stacking program I used to have and try to get some stacked images with much shorter times to avoid that.

Light Pollution is a REAL problem around here

Kit 18-55mm, 18-55mm IS, Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro lens, Canon 60mm f2.8, nifty 50 and Speedlite 600EX-RT (Flash) Rokino 14mm f2.8 UltraWide

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 24, 2017 13:23 |  #4776

Jpatten wrote in post #18283953 (external link)
One or two minutes, I can't remember for certain on that exposure. But it was the best of the bunch I tried to take. I may see if I can find a copy of the stacking program I used to have and try to get some stacked images with much shorter times to avoid that.

Light Pollution is a REAL problem around here

Here ya go. You may have already read this webpage, it gives some good info on minimizing blurred stars.
https://petapixel.com ...rails-following-500-rule/ (external link)

Best wishes,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Jpatten
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Georgia, United States
Feb 24, 2017 13:37 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #4777

I will have to remember that. Limit to about 20 seconds with my 14mm and maybe do some stacking to pull out more detail... I need ot practice that anyway. Of course that means a REALLY short time if I use my 300mm

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 24, 2017 13:46 |  #4778

Jpatten wrote in post #18283973 (external link)
I will have to remember that. Limit to about 20 seconds with my 14mm and maybe do some stacking to pull out more detail... I need ot practice that anyway. Of course that means a REALLY short time if I use my 300mm

With the crop factor 20 seconds will give you a tad of buffer so sounds good to me. You should be able to get *lots* of stars with a 20-sec exposure. It always amazes me how many stars show up with a single exposure. I will say that I'm in a fairly dark area...not the darkest but out away from really big cities. Your 300mm...about a 1-sec exposure....this is when tracking apparatus and stacking comes into play. :)

Have fun experimenting...
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Jpatten
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Georgia, United States
Feb 24, 2017 13:54 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #4779

YEah, I dont have any tracking ability.. So I will have to stack.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Feb 25, 2017 00:43 |  #4780

Nice, i didn't come here for a while, and i started to read about Astrophotography since 2 weeks when i bought a scope then returned it next day due to many replied on astronomy forum telling me that it is not suitable for AP, and after some discussion i decided to buy a mount only i hope soon so i can practice with my DSLR first, then later when i can afford i can get the scope too.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Jpatten
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Georgia, United States
Feb 25, 2017 08:23 |  #4781

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Jpatten's gallery.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Feb 25, 2017 11:00 |  #4782

Tareq wrote in post #18284445 (external link)
Nice, i didn't come here for a while, and i started to read about Astrophotography since 2 weeks when i bought a scope then returned it next day due to many replied on astronomy forum telling me that it is not suitable for AP, and after some discussion i decided to buy a mount only i hope soon so i can practice with my DSLR first, then later when i can afford i can get the scope too.

I think you did the right thing. Get a tracking mount and put your camera on it and learn how orient your mount, take long shots, stack them and do the post processing. You can do so much with just a DSLR. Once you got all of these under your belt, then worry about the scope. Scopes can get pretty expensive, especially if you get an apo refractor or something like that.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Feb 25, 2017 14:09 |  #4783

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18284712 (external link)
I think you did the right thing. Get a tracking mount and put your camera on it and learn how orient your mount, take long shots, stack them and do the post processing. You can do so much with just a DSLR. Once you got all of these under your belt, then worry about the scope. Scopes can get pretty expensive, especially if you get an apo refractor or something like that.

The mount i chose is already expensive, so the scope is not much worse expensive.

Also, i chose one scope APO refractor, not that much fast but it is a good start, they said it is fast for its price, f/5, i saw similar with f/6, but as long they told me to go with nice mount so they told me to go with fast, faster is better as they said, i asked them what will be the difference between f5 and f6 if both are same FL and diameter, someone answered long, so it is like i should't think much and go with that f5 and done with it for long and i will recover from the spending.

I can't wait to get the mount, i told them i can't or i won't buy it now even if i have the budget, but by April i will have good enough budget so i plan to buy it in April, i will keep reading about stacking and filtration and modification if necessary and also post processing, will see how far i can go with AP.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

oximuis
Joined Sep 2014
Beaufort SC
Feb 28, 2017 18:11 |  #4784

Cannot focus to save my life with this lens... please help!!! :-)

Canon 5D Mark IV,Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100-400 Mark II L, Canon 24-70 Mark II, Tokina16-28, Tamron70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC, Samyang 14mm 2.8

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Feb 28, 2017 18:16 as a reply to oximuis's post |  #4785

Use live view and zoom into the area you want to focus on.

sponsored links

1,179,141 views & 1308 likes for this thread
Samyang Rokinon Vivitar 14 2.8 lens
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.