Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Feb 2017 (Monday) 13:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A buyers market for a used 5D mark iii

Big ­ Jake
86 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Orange County, CA
Feb 27, 2017 13:12 |  #1

Just curious as to what people's opinions are now that the mark iv has been out for a while. I am hobbyist for sure and currently shoot a 7D mark ii. I am not looking to replace my current camera, but rather add a FF for landscape etc. I am not interested in comparing the mark iii to new mark iv. My question is there are a ton of great used mark iii prices out there on barely used cameras. Lots in the $1700 to $1900 range with grips and cards and multiple batteries. For the price it is really tempting vs $3400 for the latest. Thanks

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Feb 27, 2017 14:08 |  #2

Big Jake wrote in post #18286783 (external link)
.... My question is there are a ton of great used mark iii prices out there on barely used cameras. Lots in the $1700 to $1900 range with grips and cards and multiple batteries. For the price it is really tempting vs $3400 for the latest. Thanks

I'm not quite clear on your question. Are you asking if these are good prices or if you should buy a 5D3 to pair with your 7D2 or...something else?

My Gear

Big ­ Jake
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Orange County, CA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Big Jake.
Feb 27, 2017 14:33 |  #3

runninmann wrote in post #18286861 (external link)
I'm not quite clear on your question. Are you asking if these are good prices or if you should buy a 5D3 to pair with your 7D2 or...something else?

I guess my question is at that price point for a mark iii is it worth passing up and just spending the money on the mark iv.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Feb 27, 2017 14:53 |  #4

Big Jake wrote in post #18286783 (external link)
....I am not interested in comparing the mark iii to new mark iv.... Thanks

Jake, sorry for the confusion since you mentioned that you're not interested in comparing the two cameras. I would imagine that you should compare the two bodies against each other and your needs to decide if the Mark4 is worth the additional cost.

My Gear

Big ­ Jake
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Orange County, CA
Feb 27, 2017 15:18 |  #5

runninmann wrote in post #18286915 (external link)
Jake, sorry for the confusion since you mentioned that you're not interested in comparing the two cameras. I would imagine that you should compare the two bodies against each other and your needs to decide if the Mark4 is worth the additional cost.

Maybe a better way of stating my question is that in peoples opinion are the images, autofocus, low light performance that much improved over the mark iii for twice the price considering I am an experienced hobbyist and not into video.

GammyKnee
Joined Feb 2015
Irvine, Scotland
Post has been edited 9 months ago by GammyKnee.
Feb 27, 2017 17:09 |  #6

I've just upgraded to the 5DIV from the 5DIII. Currently I'm finding that with the exception of battery life and the number of images that will fit on my cards, everything is better compared to the mark III, but no one thing is hugely better. I shoot landscapes mainly for pleasure but sell a few images every now and then, take fitness portraits in gyms for a bit of extra income, do some paid product photography, and shoot sport when the fancy takes me, so basically everything except the product photography will get some benefit:

- the process of getting ready to shoot a landscape is faster (in-VF level indicator, low light AF) and the files thus far appear more detailed and malleable, but the DR jump won't be enough to stop me bracketing except in rare cases.

- for gym shoots I can now mix ambient with flash and not have to take extra shots to avoid green/purple cast, dim frames etc. Also, my favorite third party lens (Tamron 45) focuses much better on the new body with the outer AF points.

- for sport I'm sure that the better AF, better control customisation, cleaner high ISO and cleaner shadows will all prove useful (given that I'll mostly have no control over light). I suspect I won't even notice the bump in fps but we'll see.

For me, the cumulative effect of all those tweaks made the upgrade worth it, but not at full price (I went the grey import route and saved just shy of £1000 GBP). Even so I couldn't really justify it in any kind of financial way :)

Whether it would be worth it for you (OP) I can't say. Given that you've got a 7D2, do you think you might want to rejig your lens collection if you get a FF body? And what about lighting (strobes, triggers, modifiers, stands)? Tripod? Saving cash on the body could leave room for such things, and they could make a much bigger difference to your photography. If the 7DII keeps you happy for sports / wildlife etc, maybe a used 6D would be an even cheaper option for landscape and portraits? That said, I've always found that splashing out on a new body inspires me to put more effort into my photography :)

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: 5D II & IV, assorted lenses, Canon & Yongnuo flash

Big ­ Jake
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Orange County, CA
Feb 27, 2017 17:12 |  #7

GammyKnee wrote in post #18287070 (external link)
I've just upgraded to the 5DIV from the 5DIII. Currently I'm finding that with the exception of battery life and the number of images that will fit on my cards, everything is better compared to the mark III, but no one thing is hugely better. I shoot landscapes mainly for pleasure but sell a few images every now and then, take fitness portraits in gyms for a bit of extra income, do some paid product photography, and shoot sport when the fancy takes me, so basically everything except the product photography will get some benefit:

- the process of getting ready to shoot a landscape is faster (in-VF level indicator, low light AF) and the files thus far appear more detailed and malleable, but the DR jump won't be enough to stop me bracketing except in rare cases.

- for gym shoots I can now mix ambient with flash and not have to take extra shots to avoid green/purple cast, dim frames etc. Also, my favorite third party lens (Tamron 45) focuses much better on the new body with the outer AF points.

- for sport I'm sure that the better AF, better control customisation, cleaner high ISO and cleaner shadows will all prove useful (given that I'll mostly have no control over light). I suspect I won't even notice the bump in fps but we'll see.

For me, the cumulative effect of all those tweaks made the upgrade worth it, but not at full price (I went the grey import route and saved just shy of £1000 GBP). Even so I couldn't really justify it in any kind of financial way :)

Whether it would be worth it for you (OP) I can't say. Given that you've got a 7D2, do you think you might want to rejig your lens collection if you get a FF body? And what about lighting (strobes, triggers, modifiers, stands)? Tripod? Saving cash on the body could leave room for such things, and they could make a much bigger difference to your photography. If the 7DII keeps you happy for sports / wildlife etc, maybe a used 6D would be an even cheaper option for landscape and portraits? That said, I've always found that splashing out on a new body inspires me to put more effort into my photography :)

Great feedback. Thank you for posting

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Feb 27, 2017 17:15 |  #8

is the 5DIII worth 1700 lightly used to do landscapes with? heck yeah. would it be better than a 6d? probably not for landscapes, but there are times I'll use my 5DIII instead of the 7D2 indoors, when higher iso and less reach is needed with my 70-200. I will say that I miss the 7D2 buffer, and fps when I do that switch, and definitely leave your SD cards out of the 5D3 if you need those.. but I find the pair wonderful. I can squeak by with the other body if I have to, if one died, but it is very nice to have the appropriate tool on hand for the job, and still have a decent back up in the event of Murphy. Same layout/battery/etc makes switching back and forth easy., and maybe an advantage over a 6D.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,425 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 27, 2017 20:55 |  #9

I agree with the other assessments, the whole package is a much better camera than the 5D3. I used the 5D3 for an entire NBA season, and am now wrapping up with a whole season with the 5D4.

- Better AF system, more responsive, more accurate, drives AF faster
- AF in -3EV, a great help in many low light situations
- Better AWB
- Light Flicker aware
- Touchscreen is AWESOME
- WiFi is a great feature for remote capture, instant transmission to facebook and remote review of images
- Better high ISO
- Better shadow ISO
- Better FPS
- Faster SD slot, no longer crippled at really slow speeds
- 4K video, albeit cropped

I now shoot with a 7D2 and 5D4, and love it.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,832 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Feb 27, 2017 21:01 |  #10

if you want landscape only camera, consider an older A7r. 36 megapixels, no AA filter, and fairly inexpensive. Smooth reflections app will bring your landscape shooting to a whole new level.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

sponsored links

1,115 views & 1 like for this thread
A buyers market for a used 5D mark iii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.