Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 26 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 21:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

help me with lenses

danwalters
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 26, 2017 21:57 |  #1

Hello I am looking for a great lense for my camera - Canon 5D Mark III but I am trying to find a great lense that is perfect for evertything like travel, people, street, etc. I am not sure if I should get 50mm or 85mm or something else? Hope you can help me? Thanks, Dan

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Feb 27, 2017 00:45 |  #2
banned

danwalters wrote in post #18286261 (external link)
Hello I am looking for a great lense for my camera - Canon 5D Mark III but I am trying to find a great lense that is perfect for evertything like travel, people, street, etc. I am not sure if I should get 50mm or 85mm or something else? Hope you can help me? Thanks, Dan

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you need a single do-it-all lens.
This means a 24-70 or 24-105 zoom. What's the budget ?

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Feb 27, 2017 17:46 |  #3

Like Cheshire Cat I find the 24-70/24-105 focal ranges great for general use on an FF camera.

If your budget allows then a Canon 24-70 F2.8 V2 would (was) my top choice - but they are pricey! The 24-70 F4 L IS and 24-105 F4 L IS will both serve you very well if the budget is more limited and the 24-105 can be very reasonable used.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 27, 2017 18:02 |  #4

The F4 lenses will be a bit lighter and easier to carry around for extended periods of time than the 24-70 f2.8. The IS (image stabilization) will help the slower f4 lenses with available light situations. The 24-105mm will give you a good bit more reach, whereas people say the 24-70mm is a sharper lens...I think they're both good. :) I've been using a 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron and have been pleased with it...I love that focal range Any of the Canons that have been mentioned would be a definite upgrade for me. :)

One thing to be aware of if considering "used"... From what I understand, the 24-105mm has exhibited a problem with the ribbon cable that handles focusing breaking after extended usage. I believe it is sporadic and doesn't happen to all copies of the lens. I would think that the issue has been resolved with the new version. ...take what I said about that with a grain of salt, hopefully one of the experienced guys will chime in on this. But, just sayin'....

Best wishes,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by MatthewK. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 27, 2017 20:41 |  #5

Agreed with above posters in recommending a 24-105 or 24-70 variant. Depending on budget, of course. For a two lens combo that can do a lot: 24-70 f/4 and 35 f/2 IS. You get two lenses with Image Stabilization, great IQ performance, smaller size. Bonus of the 24-70 f/4 is the Macro feature for shooting close ups. The 35mm f/2 gives you a good lens for low light and nice background blur for portraits.

If you want more zoom reach, go with the 24-105 instead of the 24-70. If you want more reach with the low light lens, instead of the 35mm, try the 50 f1.8 STM. Still want more reach? 85mm f/1.8.

Some people like a one lens solution, such as an f/2.8, whereas I prefer a "slow versatile zoom + fast low light prime" combo. Neither is right or wrong, so go with what seems most sensible for your shooting needs.

flickrexternal link

877 views & 0 likes for this thread
help me with lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.