Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 26 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 16:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help editing a photo

Eel ­ Noob
171 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Feb 26, 2017 16:56 |  #1

I know this is asking alot but I'm very limited on this type of editing. Sorry not going into much details but this family that has just experienced a very tragic event has asked me to help edit this photo of their young son. They're asking to have a all black background and maybe just clean up some things for large size printing.

Sorry I don't know if it's even possible with a picture this size but this is the only photo they were able to provide but they would like to have it printed out to about poster size or larger when done.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3832/32754289790_fb1e048657_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RUoi​dj] (external link)Mai Sharry's bro (external link) by Boon Lee (external link), on Flickr

Thanks in advance, this means alot to the family.

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Feb 26, 2017 17:01 |  #2

Simply put a mask around what you want to keep, reverse selection and apply a black fill layer.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 26, 2017 17:22 |  #3

Poster size will probably be out of the question as the photo(as seen here) is soft.

What I've tried isn't that great.

Did you scan this?

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,535 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Feb 26, 2017 18:49 |  #4

What software do you have?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Feb 27, 2017 07:52 |  #5

is this the actual size of the photo you have or re-sized for web? If you have a larger version, share that.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Eel ­ Noob
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Feb 28, 2017 15:47 |  #6

I believe this picture was taken with a phone and was only photo I was provided with. I know it's not much to work with.

I have LR 5.7 but only know the basic editing on it.

Thanks

Damo77
Goldmember
4,535 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Feb 28, 2017 16:55 |  #7

Yeah, sorry, you'll need some real software for this.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 28, 2017 18:16 |  #8

Not much you can do to make a low-resolution turn into a hi-resolution image. The image is *really* low-rez and a bit blurry. Viewing distance comes into play, too. You could make a billboard out of this image....as long as the viewing distance was a *long* distance. Poster-size from across a large room *might* be ok.

Here's the best I could do with my (very) beginner editing skills...5x7 without black border...8x10 with border. Maybe you can use them.

Again...viewing distance really means a lot.

Best wishes to all,
Ed

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help editing a photo
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.