Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 28 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 19:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pricing for Maternity photography

BJ_Nguyen
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
Feb 28, 2017 19:09 |  #1

Hi all,I have a few clients who would like maternity photos. Do you have any suggestions on how much I should charge? I plan to shoot for about 2 hours and will have about 10 edited Digital photos for each client. I am also thinking of printing 2 large size pictures (13" x 19" and 8" x 10") in my packet. Thank you in advance.

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 28, 2017 19:53 |  #2

BJ_Nguyen wrote in post #18288276 (external link)
Hi all,I have a few clients who would like maternity photos. Do you have any suggestions on how much I should charge? I plan to shoot for about 2 hours and will have about 10 edited Digital photos for each client. I am also thinking of printing 2 large size pictures (13" x 19" and 8" x 10") in my packet. Thank you in advance.

No idea what you should charge but locally in my small town of 80,000 people maternity photos can run from $45 all the way up to $645. I know for a fact the $45 is basically some lady with a camera who just gives you all the images she takes, and the $645 package includes five photos and one 11x14 print.

BJ_Nguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
Feb 28, 2017 22:08 as a reply to the flying moose's post |  #3

Thank you for your infos !

Firebot
23 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Mar 01, 2017 13:44 |  #4

One thing to note is that the 645$ package may not be getting bought by anyone. At the same time, your clients may also be the types that think 45$ is too much. I took a look at your photos and they are great quality, I think you can get away with charging 250-300$ and get takers, but again up to your market. People want value, set yourself a base of what you give (say defining a 300$ package) to work from, and ask them about their budget and adjust accordingly.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,529 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by RDKirk.
Mar 02, 2017 11:44 |  #5

BJ_Nguyen wrote in post #18288276 (external link)

I don't have any different pricing strategy for maternity than I have for other portrait types. Product choice ranges differ, but the products themselves cost me the same thing to produce, whether maternity, senior, family, or whatever.

Generally, the sessions most often resemble a small family session. Two hours of shooting is quite a bit for a late-pregnancy woman. I'd recommend no more than an hour, and she'll be getting cranky before then. You're dealing with a mother and a baby, whether the baby has actually been born or not...and maybe a father and older children as well.

I'd be prepared to show about 30 proof images. A small album or book of twelve or so images sells best for me, but make it a nice one to make it financially worth your while. Wall portraits are rarer than for other types, but I've sold some. Notice that maternity portraits can fall into a family-type image (father and siblings present, belly usually covered), an engagement-type image (father present, belly covered or uncovered), or a boudoir-type image (father not present, belly usually uncovered)--packages and sales tend to go the same way.

BJ_Nguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
Mar 02, 2017 14:26 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #6

Great ! Thank you for your Tips Sir.

sponsored links

1,114 views & 3 likes for this thread
Pricing for Maternity photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.