Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 27 Feb 2017 (Monday) 11:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New toy - G1X Mk. II

Chris ­ L ­ F
204 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
Feb 27, 2017 11:13 |  #1

Just collected a G1X Mk. II and waiting for the battery to charge.

Bit of a forced purchase really as we are going on a lengthy trip to Australia and New Zealand soon and my wife's/backup to my DSLR a G16 has stopped playing.

Despite little and careful use it has developed a focusing fault which I doubt will be repaired in time and will probably be uneconomic anyway. Pity really as I really like the G16 and was expecting a good few years use out of it.

First impressions (didn't get to see one before purchasing) is that the G1X is a well built and heavy piece of kit which I'm sure will deliver the goods.

Chris

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hinkleigh/ (external link)
EOS 650D + 3 lenses + Speedlite 600EX-RT G1X Mark II G16 SX210 IS Pixma Pro-100S

sponsored links
Chris ­ L ­ F
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
Feb 28, 2017 17:44 |  #2

Second impression is that the Canon leather case is poorly designed.

Unlike that for the G16 where the case is in two parts; with the rear part staying on the camera and the front part popping off and the neck strap fitted to the camera.

That for the G1X is a one piece design and with the neck strap fitted the camera won't fit into the case!

As the camera is pretty heavy I prefer to have a strap around my neck or on my shoulder. I'm not that happy with just using a wrist strap.

My fault for not giving the Canon case much thought and just assumed it would do the best job, particularly as it wasn't cheap.

Will probably get a non-Canon case now so that I can refit the neck strap.

EOS 650D + 3 lenses + Speedlite 600EX-RT G1X Mark II G16 SX210 IS Pixma Pro-100S

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
238 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Australia
Mar 01, 2017 03:56 |  #3

Chris, I bought one of those when they came out (birth of my son) for my wife to use.

Reasonably happy with the quality in good light, flash is a bit gimmicky though.
Unfortunately its not small enough for my wife, as she predominately uses her iPhone now, due to
it not fitting neatly into her purse bag.

Enjoy your trip down this end of the world, lots to do and see. Photogenic as well!!

If your ever in Sydney let me know.

Cheers

Chris ­ L ­ F
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Chris L F.
Mar 02, 2017 08:04 as a reply to Butts's post |  #4

Thanks Butts.

I take it you're using it now! :)

It is big and heavy but as it's replacing the G16 which my wife likes she will manage it OK I hope.

Another compact would probably be better for her needs (taking the SX210 as well) but probably like you I wanted better image quality and RAW.

Chris

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Mar 02, 2017 08:49 |  #5

Hey Chris,

I am a new G1X Mk II user as well. I've only had it for a few days and so far I'm pretty impressed with it, although I agree it's pretty heavy.

I bought mine with the intentions of also purchasing an underwater housing. I've used a G10 with a housing but wanted something newer. I'll be visiting Punta Cana in April and this, with the housing, should be the perfect camera to bring with when we take a boat out to Saona Island.

I've always been a fan of the G-series cameras, mainly because they offer the flash shoe. I can attach a speedlight or trigger off camera studio lights.

Looking forward to seeing pics from your upcoming trip!

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
238 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Australia
Mar 03, 2017 00:29 |  #6

Chris L F wrote in post #18289646 (external link)
Thanks Butts.

I take it you're using it now! :)

It is big and heavy but as it's replacing the G16 which my wife likes she will manage it OK I hope.

Another compact would probably be better for her needs (taking the SX210 as well) but probably like you I wanted better image quality and RAW.

Chris

Chris, actually I don't think it has been used for a while.
I already have a 1Ds Mkiii and a 7D, so don't really have a need for it.
It was purchased more for my wife, so she could capture better quality images of the kids than her phone if I wasn't around.

Might get it out and have a go, I do like that it is quite compact to my gear.

Enjoy the trip.

Chris ­ L ­ F
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
Mar 07, 2017 16:45 |  #7

Thanks for the comments.

Had a chance to give it a try at the weekend, JPEG only so far, and was impressed with the results, so it will be good for the trip from that point of view.

I did find it a bit awkward to carry around with the wrist strap though, I kept accidently pressing buttons with my thumb! And it is heavy, so as said I may fit the neck strap again and get a soft bag for it to go in. My wife will definitely find it difficult otherwise.

I see there are non-Canon leather cases, two-piece like my G16 one, and much cheaper which is kinda disappointing.

1KIND
Goldmember
2,051 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Mar 07, 2017 18:57 |  #8

I own the G1 X Mark II. Nice little camera. Has worked well on my family trips and places where I need it small. Just got the M5 and I'm selling the G1 X Mark II. Hate to see it go but I need to recoup some money.

1KIND Photography (external link)
Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Hejnar Photo Plates, Camtrol Stabilizer | Varavon Monopod and 32" Slider

Chris ­ L ­ F
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
Mar 09, 2017 08:22 |  #9

Just had a phone call and it looks as though the G16 will be repaired before our trip. Fingers crossed.

That solves the neck strap issue!

I shall still be taking the G1X though in addition to the 650D.

Chris ­ L ­ F
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
May 01, 2017 04:13 |  #10

Well, we got the G16 back 2 days before we left and that was the backup that we took. As well as the strap I hadn't realised how much smaller and lighter it was compared with the G1X until we had both of them together, the G1X really is a bit of a brick!

I shall use it sometimes instead of the DSLR. I've bought a soft case for it now, big enough so that the neck strap can be fitted.

sponsored links

1,496 views & 1 like for this thread
New toy - G1X Mk. II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.