Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 02 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 03:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon M6 release

h14nha
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
South Wales, UK
Mar 02, 2017 03:41 |  #1

I can't find any postings about this latest release. It's mirrorless which is a big deal for Canon but no interest from anyone. Are Canon now so far behind the mirrorless curve they've missed the boat completely ? ? ?

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / :D Fuji X Pro1 / XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Mar 02, 2017 11:47 |  #2

Nothing much to post about since its mainly a M5 without a viewfinder and screen flips up instead of down. Image quality is on par with the M5/80D

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Post has been edited 8 months ago by bildeb0rg.
Mar 02, 2017 12:03 |  #3

They need something other than kit lenses to make this attractive i.e
wide to short tele fast primes. That or slim down the ef adaptor so we can use our existing lenses and still have a relatively compact outfit

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Mar 02, 2017 12:28 |  #4

The perpetuation of the design embracing the optional hot shoe mount vf is a non-starter, and should be ignored like a petulant child.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Mar 02, 2017 12:44 |  #5

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18289850 (external link)
They need something other than kit lenses to make this attributive i.e
wide to short tele fast primes. That or slim down the ef adaptor so we can use our existing lenses and still have a relatively compact outfit

I would have thought that slimming down the adapter isn't possible, due to the lens-to-sensor distance needed for EF lenses to cover the sensor correctly...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

h14nha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
South Wales, UK
Mar 03, 2017 03:17 |  #6

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18289850 (external link)
They need something other than kit lenses to make this attractive i.e

I'm with you on this, I went the Fuji route just before Christmas and the lens selection was a big factor for me. I have a selection of good lens to fit an M5 (via the adapter) but wasn't interested in this despite me liking the camera itself. Fuji were doing cashback deals so I bought the XT-1 and a 56mm F1.2 for approx £1300. I could have had (and should have bought) a 14/2.8, 16/1.4, 23/1.4 or cheaper F2 primes to add to what I already had. That money would have netted me the M5 and 15-45 and not much more.

I wanted Canon to produce a nice mirrorless (which they did), but they went and crippled it with the lack of investment in a lens lineup. If they can't entice me who wanted to like one and buy one, there's not much hope.......... I spotted the M6 release and thought it was an upgrade on the M5, it was one of those "oh no, what have I done, bought into another manufacturer at just the wrong time moment" but was then a little confused on the numbering when I read the spec (thought it was going to be FF).

I had a quick look on the EOS section in here and zero mention. Very little interest in their other releases too and more confusion on where they sit in the current line up.

Ian
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / :D Fuji X Pro1 / XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

h14nha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
South Wales, UK
Mar 03, 2017 03:21 |  #7

joeseph wrote in post #18289887 (external link)
I would have thought that slimming down the adapter isn't possible, due to the lens-to-sensor distance needed for EF lenses to cover the sensor correctly...

The "M" cameras have been around long enough now for Canon to have had plenty of time to develop a lens line up. No excuses, they just don't seem to be committed to the bodies.

Ian
myflickr (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Mar 03, 2017 16:28 |  #8

I love my M3 for static subjects and landscapes, especially compared to lugging my 7D2 and full lens selection on the off chance of something to shoot. However, they need to add a shutter release port to this line of cameras! Not everyone wants to use their smartphone in place of a dedicated shutter release Canon, and the IR remotes are junk.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Mar 03, 2017 16:42 |  #9

Lack of a viewfinder makes it very, very unattractive for a lot of potential users.

Lack of tethering in the entire M series makes the entire line unattractive and useless to a community of astrophotography imagers.

:(

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

h14nha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
South Wales, UK
Mar 03, 2017 17:46 |  #10

I don't think I've seen a Canon released with as little interest as this camera. There's always someone, who whatever camera is released, is just what they were waiting for.

Ian
myflickr (external link)

grasshopper315
99 posts
Joined Apr 2012
PA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by grasshopper315.
Mar 03, 2017 18:47 |  #11

I like my original M and would love to replace with a better focusing M6 or M5. The only thing holding me back is spending the money. My current gear does everything I need. I do prefer the M6 form factor over the M5 since I would use it like my current M- my high end snapshot camera. Whether running off to a school or church event or a party I can drop the M w/22 and 11-22 (or 40) into a bag and go. The M6 would allow me quicker online uploadability, but I could buy a cheap lightning sd card reader. I would buy the M6 today if body was <$500.

Advancements the past 1 to 2 years, regardless of brand, is not enough to get me excited. Photography is a hobby and occasionally I do make large prints. However, I find that more and more of my output is online, so less demanding and hard to justify upgrading to any new gear or system. That said, I'll probably break down and buy either the M5 or M6 end of year.

sponsored links

1,299 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon M6 release
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.