Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 22 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 21:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photo editing style pre-sets. Do you use them?

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Feb 22, 2017 21:29 |  #1

Hello fellow photographers,

So my question is addressed especially to wedding and portrait photographers.
I am facing now a kind of dilemma of weather I should use any photo-style pre-sets...
There are so many pre-sets out there. 2 of them I actually have are Greater than Gatsby and Mastin Labs Fuji Pro film sets.

Do you guys actually use photo pre-sets?
I don't mean 1 or 2 creative color edits here and there for variety. I mean consistently applying a certain "style" to pretty much all photos. It could be me having a certain 1 consistent style for just 1 wedding or actually even all weddings?
I am really not sure if I want to go that route. Yes, images look nice in a way but I feel inclined to leave images looking as natural as possible (meaning just basic adjustments like exposure, tint, contrast).

Any ideas and practice shares?

Thanks!

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880
Website - http://www.shotlifestu​dio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
trailblazer
Joined Dec 2007
Feb 23, 2017 00:11 |  #2

I use the SLR Lounge preset system with Lightroom.

I've tweaked the standard import preset and made my own by further pulling down skin saturation in the HSL as I find the default presets tend to prefer Caucasian skin tones. This preset usually applies basic corrections such as lens profile corrections and pulling down highlights etc. Any global adjustments like contrast are done minimally (example my contrast slider is set to +5, clarity is set to - 10).

After modifying their preset to my taste, I then configured it as my own and named it with my camera model, as I find my two 5d3 cameras have a different look to my two older 7d cameras which had a separate preset.

Yes, I apply this to all photos on import. I then go through and cull quickly and then go back and make any further changes to the shortlisted images.

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Feb 23, 2017 20:40 |  #3

We use Greater than Gatsby but do not set up a certain action in the program and use it on everything. Like to play around and depending on the photo, that determines which one of the actions we will use. Just not on all.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Feb 24, 2017 07:20 |  #4

Import preset in Lightroom depending on which camera the files are from. Two other presets I made that I then use after. TBH my SOOC isn't that far off the finished article though.

Peter

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Colin Glover. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 04, 2017 04:30 |  #5

I do. I haven't bought any paid presets though. I use a lot of Matt Kloskowski's presets, especially Tonal Contrast which brings details out a bit like Nik's detail extractor. I use the medium setting unless the result looks ugly, and if it does look ugly, I use the light version. For vintage I use something called Timestamp and alter the basic panel to get exposure right as sometimes it's very dark. It puts a nice border around the image. If I want a vintage mono I just do a mono conversion and maybe boost orange or reds to lighten skin. Nicole S. Young has some nice matte presets that are great too. For skin smoothing there's one called Movie looks Wonka (don't confuse it with one called Wonka) to smooth, then add detail back with tonal contrast. Works well. First image is the vintage edit, 2nd the tonal contrast at medium.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Mar 07, 2017 09:40 |  #6

I try to do both one standard color, and one preset, more for album presentation than anything. But I've built/adjusted from other presets I've gathered, and sometimes an image still needs a bit of a tweak.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links

2,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo editing style pre-sets. Do you use them?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.