Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Mar 2017 (Monday) 02:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon metering mode icons in viewfinder possible?

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
233 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 06, 2017 02:25 |  #1

It is possible to get the metering setting visible in viewfinder? Maybe not possible? With spot metering there is a exclamation mark icon as a warning sign but no symbol showing selected mode. Bodys 6D and 80D.

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,783 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 06, 2017 05:10 |  #2

Probably not. It's standard in the 1D-series and also possible in for example the 7D Mark II and 5D Mark IV.

Anders

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (6 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2017 09:24 |  #3

the hulk wrote in post #18293114 (external link)
It is possible to get the metering setting visible in viewfinder? Maybe not possible? With spot metering there is a exclamation mark icon as a warning sign but no symbol showing selected mode. Bodys 6D and 80D.

I just Googled viewfinder images and although I knew it didn't display the icon on the 6D, I thought it might on the newer 80D which has an intelligent viewfinder similar to, but with less features, than my 7D2. Unfortunately, the metering mode does not appear to be an available option on the 80D viewfinder.

While I had no problem researching this for you, I have neither camera, and it still took me only a couple of minutes ro find several example images of your cameras' viewfinder to identify which viewfinder options are available. You probably could have found the answer yourself in significantly less time than it took you to post your question and wait for feedback. We're here to help, of course, so I'm not suggesting you don't ask questions in the future when you need assistance, but being a bit more self reliant and researching simple things like this yourself is often faster, and will be very rewarding in the long run.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,190 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 06, 2017 09:35 |  #4

The 6D doesn't have it for sure. The 7D2 has it and it's fantastic. I can pretty much change any setting I need to without taking the camera away from my face. Not sure about the 80D.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 06, 2017 10:07 |  #5

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18293303 (external link)
The 6D doesn't have it for sure. The 7D2 has it and it's fantastic. I can pretty much change any setting I need to without taking the camera away from my face. Not sure about the 80D.

Unfortunately, the 80D's viewfinder is not as sophisticated as the 7D2.

Like you, between the intelligent viewfinder and the highly configurable controls, I too monitor and change most settings on my 7D2 without having to take my eye off the viewfinder. I don't think people who do not have experience with such a viewfinder can understand what a joy it is to use.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

the ­ hulk
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 06, 2017 10:07 |  #6

mwsilver wrote in post #18293298 (external link)
I just Googled viewfinder images and although I knew it didn't display the icon on the 6D, I thought it might on the newer 80D which has an intelligent viewfinder similar to, but with less features, than my 7D2. Unfortunately, the metering mode does not appear to be an available option on the 80D viewfinder.

While I had no problem researching this for you, I have neither camera, and it still took me only a couple of minutes ro find several example images of your cameras' viewfinder to identify which viewfinder options are available. You probably could have found the answer yourself in significantly less time than it took you to post your question and wait for feedback. We're here to help, of course, so I'm not suggesting you don't ask questions in the future when you need assistance, but being a bit more self reliant and researching things yourself is often faster, and will be very rewarding in the long run.

Nice reply, thanks. I think all questions in this forum are possible to find somewhere else on the net. Mod, close this forum down, please. We dont need it:lol:

Being more serious now. I have looked at the viewfinder information and read the 80D manual page 198 and was ALMOST sure it is impossible to get the requested information in the viewfinder. But there could have been information somwhere else I missed, explaining some custom function for this metering symbols showing up there in the viewfinder. Please dont judge.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (3 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2017 10:20 |  #7

the hulk wrote in post #18293335 (external link)
Nice reply, thanks. I think all questions in this forum are possible to find somewhere else on the net. Mod, close this forum down, please. We dont need it:lol:

Being more serious now. I have looked at the viewfinder information and read the 80D manual page 198 and was ALMOST sure it is impossible to get the requested information in the viewfinder. But there could have been information somwhere else I missed, explaining some custom function for this metering symbols showing up there in the viewfinder. Please dont judge.

If you Google Canon 80D viewfinder images and look at the image tab in Google you will be presented with scores of viewfinder images which show all the available viewfinder items, often with text indicating what each one is. If something is not shown in these images it's not available. Its very fast and really isn't difficult. You can't assume that the feedback on a forum like this will always be accurate or complete. You may also get conflicting information, but you can trust your own eyes.

Mark

the ­ hulk
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 06, 2017 10:31 |  #8

mwsilver wrote in post #18293352 (external link)
If you Google 80D viewfinder images and look at the image tab in Google you will be presented with scores of viewfinder images which show all the available viewfinder items, often with text indicating what each one is. If something is not shown in these images it's not available. Its very fast and really isn't difficult. You can't assume that the feedback on a forum like this will always be accurate or complete. You may also get conflicting information, but you can trust your own eyes.

And you cant assume all people are at the same level of technical knowledge as yourself. "Stupid" question or not. Please, be paient and dont judge. I did not force you to write a reply in my thread. If you find the question stupid just leave it. Peace man.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,296 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 06, 2017 10:47 |  #9

FROM THE FORUM RULES:

9 - If you know an answer to a question either answer it or say nothing. Giving newbies blunt answers like "search the forum" is not allowed - please use the typing effort to giving the answer instead. Or just give the link to that post you wished the newbie should have searched for. Respect newbies - you were a newbie once.

POTN's mission remains to provide a comfortable non combative atmosphere in which photographers of all skill level can share information and learn from each-other.

You get points for answering the question, thank you kindly! However, a large part of your reply was not only contrary to POTN's mission, but it was in fact against this forums rules.

Thank you for understanding and helping out.

mwsilver wrote in post #18293298 (external link)

While I had no problem researching this for you, I have neither camera, and it still took me only a couple of minutes ro find several example images of your cameras' viewfinder to identify which viewfinder options are available. You probably could have found the answer yourself in significantly less time than it took you to post your question and wait for feedback. We're here to help, of course, so I'm not suggesting you don't ask questions in the future when you need assistance, but being a bit more self reliant and researching simple things like this yourself is often faster, and will be very rewarding in the long run.

mwsilver wrote in post #18293352 (external link)
If you Google Canon 80D viewfinder images and look at the image tab in Google you will be presented with scores of viewfinder images which show all the available viewfinder items, often with text indicating what each one is. If something is not shown in these images it's not available. Its very fast and really isn't difficult. You can't assume that the feedback on a forum like this will always be accurate or complete. You may also get conflicting information, but you can trust your own eyes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (5 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2017 13:20 |  #10

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18293392 (external link)
FROM THE FORUM RULES:

9 - If you know an answer to a question either answer it or say nothing. Giving newbies blunt answers like "search the forum" is not allowed - please use the typing effort to giving the answer instead. Or just give the link to that post you wished the newbie should have searched for. Respect newbies - you were a newbie once.

POTN's mission remains to provide a comfortable non combative atmosphere in which photographers of all skill level can share information and learn from each-other.

You get points for answering the question, thank you kindly! However, a large part of your reply was not only contrary to POTN's mission, but it was in fact against this forums rules.

Thank you for understanding and helping out.

I understand, but I'm a bit confused because I don't believe I gave him a blunt answer to check the internet himself. I supplied an answer to his question and only suggested he could have found the answer quicker himself with a simple search. I was actually trying to be helpful. I further encouraged him to continue asking us questions since that's what we're here to do, and only suggested becoming more self reliant for his benefit, not mine. I don't think a rereading of my post will show any nasty intent on my part.

In the second post I provided the steps to find that information. Again the intent was to assist the OP. It's true that on some photo forums members can be downright nasty when responding to a poster's legitimate questions. I don't believe that was the case here.

I've been here for a while and am very careful avoiding insulting or being condescending to anyone. I reread what I wrote and I am not sure how politely trying to help someone learn how to efficiently acquire information on their own is an infraction of the rules, but i will refrain from providing that sort of help in the future.

Mark

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,296 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 06, 2017 14:58 |  #11

The reason it is a forum rule, is that no matter what your intention is, no matter how generous you feel you are being, without exception, such replies are interpreted to be other than helpful.

We know this to be true, have known it for a long time. Thus the rule.

The impression and reply that the OP gave was in my mind 100% predictable.
So regardless of intention, umbrage was taken. Thus the rule.

Thanks for understanding.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2017 15:16 |  #12

the hulk wrote in post #18293368 (external link)
And you cant assume all people are at the same level of technical knowledge as yourself. "Stupid" question or not. Please, be paient and dont judge. I did not force you to write a reply in my thread. If you find the question stupid just leave it. Peace man.

Please keep in mind that I replied to assist you, and I answered your query regarding the ability to monitor the metering status in you camera's viewfinder. I always try to provide assistance when I possess the knowledge and experience to do so. I don't believe I said or even suggested your question was "stupid", but apologize if I gave you that impression.

Mark

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,783 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 07, 2017 01:55 |  #13

Here's an image of the viewfinder in the 1DX. It shows how Canon displayed metering settings prior to the "intelligent viewfinder" invention.

IMAGE: https://learn.usa.canon.com/app/media/images/articles/eos_1dx_intelligent_viewfinder_display/1DXviewfinder_ALLinfo__hero.jpg

In comparison, what it looks like in the 1DX Mark II.

IMAGE: http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Mark-II/Viewfinder.png

I too interpreted the "search for yourself" posts as a slap in the face. It's difficult to write such posts without being insulting.

Anders

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,571 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 09, 2017 06:19 |  #14

Bit like my dad tbh;
"what's 6x6 pop?"
"36 son, how bad is the break?"
"break pop?"
"the one in your arm that stopped you opening a book and finding the answer yourself"
Loved my dad :-)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (5 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2017 09:22 |  #15

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18296132 (external link)
Bit like my dad tbh;
"what's 6x6 pop?"
"36 son, how bad is the break?"
"break pop?"
"the one in your arm that stopped you opening a book and finding the answer yourself"
Loved my dad :-)

I got admonished for breaking the rules by suggesting posters could often find answers to questions easier and faster on their own. Two schools of thought on that, I guess. However, unlike some forums, this site bends over backwards to be welcoming to all, and to avoid any possibility that posters will feel they are being insulted or treated with condescension. If we want to be members here we need to abide by the letter of those rules regardless of whether occasionally we may not completely agree with them.

Mark

sponsored links

3,153 views & 18 likes for this thread
Canon metering mode icons in viewfinder possible?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.