Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 18:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Down the wormhole about photography.

TomCross
Joined Feb 2017
Post has been edited 3 months ago by TomCross.
Mar 04, 2017 18:57 |  #1

If there's already a thread on this, please link so I can read different points of views, sort of a photography lesson I'm doing for myself.

Is it lyrics above musical sound?

Candle ingredients above package marketing?

Car engineering above features?

Image subject above image quality?

Image quality above image story?

What's the philosophy you notice that you adhere to?

do you stress through bad work flow for a greater final image?

Do you stop improving your work when you've met the customers expectations?

Is this a job or a passion?

Excuse tersness as people tend to read posts that are less wordy.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Mar 06, 2017 22:48 |  #2

TomCross wrote in post #18291984 (external link)
If there's already a thread on this, please link so I can read different points of views, sort of a photography lesson I'm doing for myself.
Is it lyrics above musical sound?
Candle ingredients above package marketing?
Car engineering above features?
Image subject above image quality?
Image quality above image story?
What's the philosophy you notice that you adhere to?
Do you stress through bad work flow for a greater final image?
Do you stop improving your work when you've met the customers expectations?
Is this a job or a passion?

Wow - so many great questions! And you show great insight when you predict that this discussion will go "down the wormhole"!

I am following this thread for sure, and can't wait to read through he discussions that it leads to.

I'll answer one or two of your questions - "What's the philosophy you notice that you adhere to?

I usually have a pretty good idea of what, specifically, I want to create when I set out to photograph something. Normally, any photographic endeavor of mine starts out with me seeing something or hearing about something that I think is just so impossibly cool! Or something that is so unspeakably beautiful! And when I see something like that, or learn about something like that, I then seek to create an image of that thing - that subject - that shows just how cool, or how beautiful, it really is..........or at least how beautiful or cool I think it is.

I then try to go out and find the cool or beautiful thing and spend time with it - a lot of time. This is so that I can learn much about it so that I will develop a clearer idea of how it can best be showcased in a photograph. During this time I continually ask myself why I chose this particular thing to photograph......what is it about this thing that I find to be so cool, or so beautiful. I usually come up with rather specific answers to this question. I then go on to figure out how I can incorporate these qualities of coolness or beauty into the photographs I create.......and the only way I know of figuring that out is to spend time with the subjects and see what things they do and what things occur around them in order to learn about how I can best portray their most interesting qualities in a photo.

Oh, yeah - about image quality. Well, for me this comes down to how the final images will be displayed.

If I am shooting photos that I intend to have published in a magazine, then I think of how I want each of the photos to be used. If I think that a particular scene would make a great lead spread, then I shoot it in a way that will be dynamic-looking when used as a two-page layout, and this may cause me to shoot it in an unconventional manner when I think about text or sidebars being laid over the image, and when I think about that vertical seam running down the middle.

If I am shooting the photo with fine art in mind, then I think about big prints, because this is what I personally like, and it also seems to be what my clientele demand. I like prints to be as big as possible. Walls are big - 8 feet tall and several feet across. I think it looks silly to put little pictures on big walls that have as much as 100+ square feet of surface area. If a wall is 8 feet tall and the space between the door and a window is 7 feet across, then in my opinion it looks ridiculous to fill that 56 square foot space with a 16 by 20 inch photo. I would prefer something in the 48" by 32" range, so as to be in scale with the space.

Because I prefer big prints, when I shoot I try to be very conscious of wha the image will look like when blown up to that size, and I get extremely picky about exactly what I focus on and how well resolved all of the fine detail will be. I also get very picky about noise grain, as I really hate the way grain looks when it is visible in nature photos. So for this reason I often do stress over image quality when I am shooting a scene.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

Moppie
14,707 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Moppie. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 06, 2017 23:24 |  #3

Is it lyrics above musical sound? Both

Candle ingredients above package marketing? Both are meaningless

Car engineering above features? Engineering rules all, even then number of buttons your car has

Image subject above image quality? Subject always beats megapickles and mtf charts

Image quality above image story? Story, see above

What's the philosophy you notice that you adhere to? That is a long and complex answer, beyond the scope of this forum

do you stress through bad work flow for a greater final image? Nope, I have great workflow, it makes the final image that much better

Do you stop improving your work when you've met the customers expectations? Yes, except when I'm the customer; then I'm ****.

Is this a job or a passion? Both and all of the above.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
Mar 07, 2017 00:34 |  #4

Is it lyrics above musical sound? It's about emotion. If I can do it through lyrics, sobeit. If it's musical sound, all the better. I want to move you. I strive to move me. If I can do that, perchance I can move you.

Candle ingredients above package marketing? The ingredients must be there, but there is a marketing element to it. I can create for myself, but I want to move others. I want and need to connect. I'll do things to connect with others, as long as I'm not violating my principles.

Car engineering above features? The engineering matters, but good features, not just random features, matter.

There was an article in Car and Driver magazine many years ago about a car designer. He was really an engineer. He'd perfected a design for a sports car, and it was ugly. For instance, he'd used a perfectly flat windshield (windscreen). While wonderful engineering-wise, it was ugly. Once he put the less-than-perfect curve into it, making it slightly less efficient, it became beautiful.

In the end, if it isn't beautiful, no one will care, perhaps not even you.

Image subject above image quality? There are times I'll accept an imperfect image as the subject is so important. Jay Maisel took a photo of Marilyn Monroe that was blurry, out of focus. It's an iconic image today.

Image quality above image story? I'm a story teller. I want to bring you into the story I've created. Sometimes "story" is vignette. If I can do that, I'm happy. As above, if it's a choice between using a less-than-perfect image that is needed to tell a story, I'll use it. Story is everything.

What's the philosophy you notice that you adhere to? I create photos to celebrate life. It's a deliberate philosophy. I'm a fashion photographer, hobbyist today, aiming to be pro tomorrow. Here's my guiding concept:

Fashion isn't limited to the studio or the street.
It isn't limited to the perfect time of day.
It happens everywhere.
It happens anytime.
Look around you.
You see fashion.
Fashion is everywhere.

Fashion happens now.®

do you stress through bad work flow for a greater final image? I'll do what I need to do to create a photo I'm happy to say is mine.

Do you stop improving your work when you've met the customers expectations? My photos must meet my standards. I won't send a bad photo "into the wild".

Is this a job or a passion? It's all about passion. I'm a mathematician/engineer by trade. I *could* do all of the physics of optics, et al, for my photography, but my photography is art. I write algorithms and develop code during the day. While there is an artistic element to it, it's quite fussy. I enjoy it, but it's ultimately a job. My photography is about passion. In college I took art history electives, and I've found art is very important to me. Should I go pro with my photography, I will do what I need to do to create an enduring business. There will be "job" elements to this. Fine. I'll do it anyway. If I can make photos that move people, that's what matters.

There you go. I hope this helps!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

705 views & 4 likes for this thread
Down the wormhole about photography.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.