Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 07 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 11:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

'Popular Photography' magazine and PopPhoto.com to close after nearly 80 years

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 07, 2017 11:37 |  #1

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...ose-after-nearly-80-years (external link)

Franklin D. Roosevelt was president of the United States of American when the first issue of Popular Photography Magazine hit newsstands in May of 1937. Now, nearly 80 years later, one of the world's most widely circulated photography print publications is closing.

The upcoming March/April issue will be the last, and as of Friday, March 10th, no new content will be published on PopPhoto.com. This news comes after the publication switched to a bi-monthly print schedule about six months ago.

Pop Photo's sister publication, American Photo Magazine, had been Web-only for the past couple of years; it will also stop updating its website as of this coming Friday.

Eric Zinczenko, the CEO of Bonnier, parent company of both titles, made the announcement earlier today via a company-wide email.

sponsored links
Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Mar 07, 2017 14:28 |  #2

That was one of the first magazines I read back in the 70's when I first got the camera bug.

PP's closing is a sign of the times, I guess. Many households don't even have *books* in them...they read via tablets, phones, computers, etc.,. Honestly, most of the time more detailed and varied information can be found by "surfing" than can be found between the covers of a magazine. This is fine until the power goes out....and stays out. Just sayin'...

www.beeweather.comexternal link

PhotosGuy
74,862 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 07, 2017 14:50 |  #3

I get my daily paper over the i-net, but seeing those two mags go is kinda' sad.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Mar 07, 2017 15:16 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18294562 (external link)
I get my daily paper over the i-net, but seeing those two mags go is kinda' sad.

That says it all - and I, too now read the LA Times on my tablet - and now that I've adjusted very much prefer it. Print publications are really struggling. It is sad.

All New Year, All New Sig !

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,261 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Wilt.
Mar 07, 2017 15:57 |  #5

In more recent decades, the beneficial articles in magazines like Popular Photography and Modern Photography had declined to somewhat thinly disguised promotional articles that were seldom critical about products. But my photo education started with those magazines about 50 years ago, when there were lots of informative articles and when they offered objective measurements and honest observations to assess products. So it is sad when the Herb Kepplers of the world, and venerable titles like Popular Photography and Modern Photography vanish into the sunset.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,331 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Mar 07, 2017 16:13 |  #6

Intheswamp wrote in post #18294541 (external link)
That was one of the first magazines I read back in the 70's when I first got the camera bug.

PP's closing is a sign of the times, I guess. Many households don't even have *books* in them...they read via tablets, phones, computers, etc.,. Honestly, most of the time more detailed and varied information can be found by "surfing" than can be found between the covers of a magazine. This is fine until the power goes out....and stays out. Just sayin'...

Ya know, those still are book, just in a different form. I am one of those that have purged myself of paper and gone digital. I read more now than I ever did when paper was all you could get.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Mar 07, 2017 16:20 |  #7

I hate to see it happen but I also understand it. I am annavid reader and made the switch to electronic books about a year ago.

From a feel standpoint i prefer a printed page, bit from a convienance standpoint having it electronically cannot be beat. I started reading on an ipad but now read almost everything on my phone since i always have it with me.

In addition, having reference books at all times, the ability to do text searches...its just hard to beat it.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 07, 2017 16:21 |  #8

Likewise, before the internet, the bulk of my knowledge cam from these magazines.
The times they are a changing.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Mar 07, 2017 20:58 |  #9

Thank you for posting this, Rick.

I really appreciate your commentary......it is nice to see your perspective, instead of just a link to what someone else has to say about the issue.

Good post!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
Chicago, IL
Mar 08, 2017 11:49 |  #10

Intheswamp wrote in post #18294541 (external link)

Truly is a sign of the times. I am the same, got rid of all my books and read everything tablet or online.

Web: AxxisPhoto (external link)
Tumblr: Tumblr (external link)
Flickr: AxxisPhoto (external link)

lowrider
758 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Tucson
May 06, 2017 19:27 |  #11

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I just found out about this. Today, I received a copy of Popular Science in the mail with a short note the PP was now gone. I used to read PS when I was a kid, but no interest now., and certainly not related to Photography? I will miss PP.

Lou

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
May 06, 2017 22:28 as a reply to lowrider's post |  #12

I just found out today also, the same way as Lou. Like many others here, I learned a lot from PP when I started out in photography, which for me was the early 1980's. In the past 20 years or so I've been an on-and-off subscriber. Most of the editorial content had gone waaay downhill ("How to Pick a Zoom Lens"), but I found the PhotoShop and Lightroom tips helpful

The other "feature" in the past that made it worth the $10 subscription cost was the ads. All of the big NYC camera stores used to have big ads, some as long as 10-15 pages, but recently even those had dwindled to a page or two of featured products and a link to their web sites.

I was already planning to let my subscription lapse this fall, but now that's done. Popular Science wouldn't be my first choice if I were to subscribe to a science magazine (it would be Science News or Scientific American), but it's more appealing to me than the other choices.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 08, 2017 11:23 |  #13

I think that the challenge for magazines is that they need to be able to offer content to their readership that the readership cannot get on the internet. But how? I mean, if you can print something on a page, then you can also put that same content on a website.

So while a printed magazine can give me a really good article about something I'm interested in, for instance, "How to Create Bird Photography Setups", I can go online and find dozens of well-written articles and dozens of high quality YouTube videos about the same thing. For free.

So my question is, how can printed magazines give us more options than the internet, and how can they give us better content than the internet? That is the challenge that they face, and if they can't figure that out, then they will continue to fail. And I don't know if they will ever figure it out, because I do not even think it is possible.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,331 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
May 08, 2017 11:51 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18349176 (external link)
I think that the challenge for magazines is that they need to be able to offer content to their readership that the readership cannot get on the internet. But how? I mean, if you can print something on a page, then you can also put that same content on a website.

So while a printed magazine can give me a really good article about something I'm interested in, for instance, "How to Create Bird Photography Setups", I can go online and find dozens of well-written articles and dozens of high quality YouTube videos about the same thing. For free.

So my question is, how can printed magazines give us more options than the internet, and how can they give us better content than the internet? That is the challenge that they face, and if they can't figure that out, then they will continue to fail. And I don't know if they will ever figure it out, because I do not even think it is possible.

Even if they do find something that can be offered on printed paper as opposed to printed electrons, you still have all the cost of paper, printing infrastructure, storage, shipping, retail space, etc. so whatever they do offer has to also be pretty inexpensive to offset all the other costs.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
May 08, 2017 12:58 |  #15

Will miss the Spiratone ads.

Oh...nevermind.;-)a

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links

6,431 views & 10 likes for this thread
'Popular Photography' magazine and PopPhoto.com to close after nearly 80 years
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.