Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 06 Feb 2017 (Monday) 18:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Printed photos coming out too bright?

osullk22
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 06, 2017 18:50 |  #1

Hi all
Recently I got a new printer, Canon MX535, and tried to print photos on it for the first time. I was using Canon photo paper plus glossy 2(4x6in), and was printing the photos from the printing app they have.
When the photos came out, they were all printed too bright, and didn't match the colours in the image. I've researched online and haven't been able to find a solution. I've also looked at the printer, and there seems to be, at least from what I can tell, no way too fix it.
Does anyone have any solution for this problem? All help would be appreciated :)

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,539 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Feb 06, 2017 18:56 |  #2

When you're first testing a new home printer, it's vitally important to have reference prints from a professional lab.

So, tell us about the photos you just printed. Do you have those exact same photos printed at a pro lab?

Otherwise, you can't possibly know if the problem is with your printer, or your file, or your screen.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 06, 2017 18:58 |  #3

Selecting the right paper type in the print driver is very important.

What is the origin of these images? Did you modify them on your computer?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

osullk22
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 07, 2017 01:46 as a reply to Damo77's post |  #4

No, their just normal photos from my phone. The printer seemed to be working fine with paper from what I've seen, but I'll do some of the test prints available today to make sure.
I've selected the right paper type, you can do so on the app and I have the correct one put in

osullk22
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 07, 2017 01:48 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #5

The images are from a camera, and have been modified on a computer

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 07, 2017 06:08 |  #6

I just realized you are new to the forum. Welcome, and I hope you find an answer.

But,

You have to realize that to answer the questions you have, we need details. If we were sitting in the room with you it would be a different situation.

You say phone and camera, which? Or both? What models?

What file types?

What "app"?

What modifications?

You say "the printer seemed to be working fine with paper" what does that mean?

Is it possible one of the ink cartridges is clogged or empty?

Have you run the printers test print diagnostics?

Have you ever made photo prints with another printer?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Feb 07, 2017 06:36 |  #7

osullk22 wrote in post #18266463 (external link)
Hi all
Recently I got a new printer, Canon MX535, and tried to print photos on it for the first time. I was using Canon photo paper plus glossy 2(4x6in), and was printing the photos from the printing app they have.
When the photos came out, they were all printed too bright, and didn't match the colours in the image. I've researched online and haven't been able to find a solution. I've also looked at the printer, and there seems to be, at least from what I can tell, no way too fix it.
Does anyone have any solution for this problem? All help would be appreciated :)

Have you tried adjusting the brightness - page 373 of the user manual.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

PhotosGuy
74,825 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Feb 07, 2017 08:19 |  #8

As you can see from the questions above, there's a lot that goes into the process! How did the test prints come out?

osullk22 wrote in post #18266650 (external link)
The images are from a camera, and have been modified on a computer

What program are you using to modify the images? A few things that you should be aware of as time goes by.
Is your monitor calibrated? Monitor Calibration: Who needs it? (external link)

Keep in mind that if you're looking at the test images in your browser, & the browser isn't color managed, they may not look "right".
Is your browser color managed? (external link)

Good luck, & welcome to POTN!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 07, 2017 08:31 |  #9

Consider looking at an image which looks good on the web, and then printing it to see how well the print matches what you see on the web. If there is a major difference in brightness, your monitor is likely to be set up per the factory settings, which are made to look good when the monitor is in a bright retail environment on display. You need to adjust Brightness and Contrast suitably to tone down the monitor from factory settings, in that case.

If the monitor looking at WEB PHOTO and print are pretty comparable in brightness to begin with (because you already adjusted down the settings), then the issue of printer being too bright compared to YOUR photo might be that your software (used to adjust an image in postprocessing) is using either a monitor profile and/or a printer profile and the mismatch may be due to that, and a good start is to start overand defaults to the default settings in Apple O/S or in Windows, and then creating new monitor or profile after FIRST setting Brightness and Contrast to a more reasonable (than factory setting) setting.

http://digitaldog.net ...Printer%20Test%20fi​le.jpg (external link)

http://nativedigital.c​o.uk ...hooting-printer-profiles/ (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 07, 2017 10:47 |  #10

Why not post one of the images that printed too bright for everybody to look at? Be sure it hasn't been edited or changed in any way since the too-bright print was made. It might give some folks an idea of what the issue is...or isn't.

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Mar 07, 2017 23:44 |  #11

Intheswamp wrote in post #18266906 (external link)
Why not post one of the images that printed too bright for everybody to look at? Be sure it hasn't been edited or changed in any way since the too-bright print was made. It might give some folks an idea of what the issue is...or isn't.

Ed

Yea, a lot of us have calibrated monitors that show us pretty closely how something will print. Most of the time people have the opposite problem because their monitors are set too bright.

Personally, having used Canon printers, I suspect that there is an option hidden in the menus that brightens the print.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Mar 07, 2017 23:47 |  #12

john crossley wrote in post #18266741 (external link)

I'm not going to look at the manual now, but you really want any settings on 'neutral' or no adjustment and then adjust your monitor and/or other settings until you get a good print.

Why? If you ever send an image to someone else or have it printed or want it to look 'correct' for someone with a calibrated monitor, you don't want to adjust brightness in the printer.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Mar 08, 2017 01:48 |  #13

john crossley wrote in post #18266741 (external link)

ejenner wrote in post #18294984 (external link)
Personally, having used Canon printers, I suspect that there is an option hidden in the menus that brightens the print.

ejenner wrote in post #18294986 (external link)
I'm not going to look at the manual now, but you really want any settings on 'neutral' or no adjustment and then adjust your monitor and/or other settings until you get a good print.

Why? If you ever send an image to someone else or have it printed or want it to look 'correct' for someone with a calibrated monitor, you don't want to adjust brightness in the printer.

Which is why I told him to check the brightness setting, because we don't know what it is actually set at.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Mar 08, 2017 06:43 |  #14

Hmm, it's been over a month ago since the OP started this thread (and made his first post to POTN). I hope the OP simply lost interest and all is well with him/her.

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 08, 2017 12:01 |  #15

Definitely a post and run.

I think the combination of a typically pretty fast reply around here, and the typical list of questions we ask to figure out what is really going on, tends to scare some people into just living with the problem.

sponsored links

1,702 views & 3 likes for this thread
Printed photos coming out too bright?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.