Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 23:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Long Days

MrWho
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
Mar 04, 2017 23:53 |  #1

I've had a bit of a long day today, and did sound for two different productions, finally getting to bed after midnight. I had to snap some photos late in the second film, and was already making some dumb mistakes which resulted in "acceptable" photos. Not the best by far, but it was just to document what was done instead of having to be technically excellent.

It got me thinking, what are some good tips after a long day where you're starting to make dumb mistakes like not checking ISO, or aperture? What's a good way of remembering to pay attention to your exposure triangle?

Gear

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Post has been edited 1 month ago by AZGeorge.
Mar 05, 2017 11:21 |  #2

For me stealing a few minutes of restful calm in a hectic day seems restorative. When there is no time to stop it seems all the more important to steal a three or four minutes respite.

George
Image Editing Okay

OhLook
Spiderwoman
13,928 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 05, 2017 11:36 |  #3

Dumb mistakes are normal when (1) you need sleep, (2) you've worked all day at a very demanding skilled task, and (3) you switch to a different kind of task, from using ears to using eyes and from one kind of apparatus to another. The brain isn't efficient under these conditions. I think you could be forgiven for putting the camera on the A or P setting. And stop trying to be Superman. Nobody does everything well all the time.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,932 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 05, 2017 11:48 |  #4

Whether at the start of a day, or at the end of a day, one should NEVER allow the brain to be put into 'idle' mode and ignore the information which is always displayed in the viewfinder: shutter speed, aperture, ISO.

One always needs to observe and ask:

1. is something blinking, to indicate over/underexposure?
  2. is my shutter speed too da*n slow for me to hand hold?
  3. if in Auto ISO, would I ever deliberately choose to shoot at that ISO?
  4. if shooting eTTL flash, is my viewfinder Ready light lit? did it blink to indicate 'proper exposure'?

Have this mental 'checklist' go quickly thru your mind for each shot, automatically and as a shooting reflex...even at the end of 12 hours of wedding/reception coverage.

But keep in mind, when shooting in Manual with self-chosen ISO value, the ever-possible chance that you have F'd-up because #1 in the above list never happens when in Manual!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

teekay
Goldmember
2,402 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Mar 05, 2017 18:39 |  #5

MrWho wrote in post #18292157 (external link)
....It got me thinking, what are some good tips after a long day where you're starting to make dumb mistakes like not checking ISO, or aperture? What's a good way of remembering to pay attention to your exposure triangle?

Take a break, at least 15 mins., sit down and relax away from your work scene and equipment, whatever it is, with a hot drink like coffee or cocoa. Take a thermos if you anticipate a really long or demanding day. Works for me, particularly when totally exhausted.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 06, 2017 22:27 |  #6

teekay wrote in post #18292815 (external link)
.........sit down and relax........with a hot drink like coffee......

You had me at "coffee"!

MrWho wrote in post #18292157 (external link)
It got me thinking, what are some good tips after a long day where you're starting to make dumb mistakes like not checking ISO, or aperture? What's a good way of remembering to pay attention to your exposure triangle?

Shoot so much and so often that the exposure triangle becomes second nature - something that you do perfect automatically without your brain even having to be involved at a conscious level.

We can do lots and lots of complex things without even thinking about them. These things tend to be the things that we do most often. If you shoot enough, and every time you shoot you pay close attention to the exposure triangle, then eventually you will do things right, even when you are dead tired or when your brain is on something else.

Just like with driving a car - you don't have to actually think about steering the car so that it stays in the correct lane, and you don't have to think about putting the turn signal on prior to making a turn - your body just does these things automatically because it has done them so often. So it should be with the exposure triangle.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,334 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by digital paradise. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 09, 2017 11:05 |  #7

My wife told me long ago to stop working on a project at the end of the day when I'm tiring out. But oh no, being a stubborn block head I still spend more hours frustrating myself and finally when all the skin has been removed of my hands I finally give up and have a few cocktails. In the morning - done in 10 minutes. That is the only thing I have to offer.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

662 views & 9 likes for this thread
Long Days
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.