Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 09 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 16:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gitzo Traveler Tripods + RRS Ball Heads

Ming-Tzu
807 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 09, 2017 16:25 |  #1

I purchased the following items but plan on returning a few depending on whether or not it fits my needs:

- Gitzo 1545T traveler tripod
- Gitzo 2545T traveler tripod
- RRS BH-30 with compact-size lever release
- RRS BH-40 with full-size lever release

My goal is to use a combination of the above tripod/ball head for backpacking and hiking locally, using the 5D Mark III and 16-35 IS and 70-200 f2.8 II. Initially, I was also considering use with the 100-400 II but will use my Gitzo systematic tripod and BH-55 combo for that lens instead, when needed.

I'll probably keep the larger 2545 since the folded length isn't all that much over the 1545, but I gain a bit more stability with the 70-200.

The next question is BH-30 vs. BH-40. I know that the BH-30 will allow the tripod legs to fold completely but would rather have the BH-40 for extra stability. However, I am wondering how much the tripod legs spread when the BH-40 is mounted. Another viable option is to not have the ball head mounted on the tripod when backpacking, which I am also considering.

<insert gear here>

sponsored links
Nortonski
Joined Oct 2013
Good ole Blighty
Feb 09, 2017 16:51 |  #2

I have the 1542T with the RRS BH-40. The head on this model of legs sits above the tip of them when completely folded, they go right to the speed ring that the BH-40 sits on & is pretty much the same diameter.

Unfortunately I dont have a picture available at the present time. I found the BH-30 not 'man enough' for my needs. The BH-40 is good, although the drag/resistance seems a little grabby or too loose with no middle ground...something that I didn't see in the Arca heads I tried...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 09, 2017 17:08 |  #3

I have the Gitzo 2530 with RRS BH-40 and find it to be the right combination of head+leg, which is about 4 lb. 5oz including center column and outfitted with spike ends with rubber tips on the legs.
I would tend to match the BH-30 with the Gitzo 15xx

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Ming-Tzu.
Feb 09, 2017 17:52 |  #4

Thanks for the info! I will most likely keep the 2545T with the BH-40, and return the 1545T and BH-30. No point in keeping both combos.

Whoever is interested in purchasing the 1545T, I am returning it to Amazon. Purchased for $600. So you'll probably see that listing after my return.

<insert gear here>

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Feb 10, 2017 16:06 |  #5

My Gitzo Traveller has a Triopo RS3 on top. Yes I know it is completely over the top (made my Gitzo 3530LS look a bit too bendy) but it was cheap and light + it is what I have handy! Cost was £40 (including a clamp as it doesn't come with one) and total weight is 330 grams off the top of my head. Been using it for 8/9 years and have yet to find a ball head that locks as well regardless of price and size.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Mar 08, 2017 11:49 |  #6

Any reason you arent considering Markins heads?

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Mar 09, 2017 11:57 |  #7

One potential major source of annoyance with the BH-30 is the lack of a separate drag control. Having used the BH-55 now that has one, I'm not sure I'd consider owning a ballhead for heavier loads that doesn't have one.

Have you looked into Acratech, specifically the Nomad? If I was tripod head shopping nowadays, that'd be probably the way I'd go.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Mar 09, 2017 11:58 |  #8

ben_r_ wrote in post #18295391 (external link)
Any reason you arent considering Markins heads?

Or even a used A-S, if used is an option.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Mar 09, 2017 13:58 |  #9

Ming-Tzu wrote in post #18269055 (external link)
Thanks for the info! I will most likely keep the 2545T with the BH-40, and return the 1545T and BH-30. No point in keeping both combos.

Could you post a photo of the folded tripod with the BH-40? Thanks!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

1,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gitzo Traveler Tripods + RRS Ball Heads
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.