Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 08 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 17:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which grease for carbon fiber tripods?

fplstudio
Joined Jun 2015
Sydney, Australia
Mar 08, 2017 17:48 |  #1

I spend a lot of time around beaches and salty environment so proper disassembly and clean sand off is required to preserve my CF Sirui T-2204X and its twist lock mechanism. I was thinking apply common white lithium grease as lubrificant but I have read around to use specific grease for carbon fibre tripods as the common lubrificants used for aluminum are not compatible and may damage it. Further, there are suggestions not to apply any grease to the plastic parts.
I am a bit confused and Sirui has no instructions on their website for maintenance.

Since carbon fibre tripods are almost the same do you guys recommend (or do not recommend) any specific grease and the way it should be applied?

Thanks in advance
Francesco

Canon 5Ds R | 16-35 4L IS | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS ii | 14 2.8 Samy | 35 1.4 Art | 85 1.8 | 135 2L | EXT 1.4X II | AD200 | V860ii-C | 2x TT600

sponsored links
corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Mar 09, 2017 14:22 |  #2

Grease?
I wouldn't use grease. I don't recommend you use grease. Grease + dust/sand = lapping compound.

If you feel you must use some type of lubricant, you might try a dry silicone spray. I would apply it to a cloth first then lightly wipe the sliding parts.

Just keeping the tripod clean seems the best practice however.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,683 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Post has been edited 7 months ago by johnf3f.
Mar 09, 2017 16:47 |  #3

Gitzo supply their tripods with fairly light Moly grease. Widely available and cheap at the car parts shop. Only use it sparingly - very little is required.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
Mar 09, 2017 17:03 |  #4

Really Right Stuff recommend a bearing grade grease on the male threads of the twist locks.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

fplstudio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2015
Sydney, Australia
Mar 10, 2017 00:32 |  #5

For who's interested, I received a response from the official local Sirui seller

"we recommend a dry lube such as graphite as it will not attract sand for the leg shims and locks and silicone spray for all other metal moving parts except the ballhead. "

Canon 5Ds R | 16-35 4L IS | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS ii | 14 2.8 Samy | 35 1.4 Art | 85 1.8 | 135 2L | EXT 1.4X II | AD200 | V860ii-C | 2x TT600

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Mar 10, 2017 02:04 as a reply to DGStinner's post |  #6

The grease RRS uses in their instructional videos is Super Lube synthetic grease. It's pretty cheap and readily available if you have a Harbor Freight or Ace Hardware nearby. I only use it on the twist locks and on the hinge bolts where the leg/spider meet on my TVC-33, so it works nice and smooth. It only takes a very small amount, not much at all.

GEAR LIST

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004
Ma, USA
Mar 25, 2017 15:54 |  #7

If your constantly around water I would make sure that the grease is waterproof and use it sparingly on the threads for the leg locks

Steve

sponsored links

1,079 views & 1 like for this thread
Which grease for carbon fiber tripods?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.