Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 06 Mar 2017 (Monday) 13:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Breathless...

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Mar 06, 2017 13:04 |  #1

This shoot came about as a result of a photo challenge a local critique group, with whom I am a member, did back in November. The topic of our images was to evoke a sense of 'Breathless'.

As a result of the shoot, two frames I liked, are shown here. In the first, I liked the juxtaposition of the model's mouth and the adjacency of the balloon and hand. Unfortunately, my DoF changed as I moved about, causing the fingers focus to go soft. Some folks weren't particularly bothered, yet others were, when it can time to discuss my image results. The second image's focus was much better, the focal plain was better balanced, and everything was sharp that needed to be. Unfortunately, the positioning of the hand to the model's mouth was farther apart, which bothered me. So there you have it. I certainly welcome your thoughts.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3919/33134609252_2d388b0cd4_c.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2867/33248986896_636195f8b7_c.jpg

kevan's lensexternal link

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 08, 2017 17:27 |  #2

Kevan wrote in post #18293526 (external link)
This shoot came about as a result of a photo challenge a local critique group, with whom I am a member, did back in November. The topic of our images was to evoke a sense of 'Breathless'.

As a result of the shoot, two frames I liked, are shown here. In the first, I liked the juxtaposition of the model's mouth and the adjacency of the balloon and hand. Unfortunately, my DoF changed as I moved about, causing the fingers focus to go soft. Some folks weren't particularly bothered, yet others were, when it can time to discuss my image results. The second image's focus was much better, the focal plain was better balanced, and everything was sharp that needed to be. Unfortunately, the positioning of the hand to the model's mouth was farther apart, which bothered me. So there you have it. I certainly welcome your thoughts.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

The limited DoF in the first doesn't bother me.
Its the lack of dramatic lighting that does.
This in a good concept that is lacking in execution.
You got the model to have the vacant look in her eyes that evokes death, dramatic lighting would have reinforced the image in my view.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Kevan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Mar 10, 2017 14:05 as a reply to dmward's post |  #3

David,

I'm not too sure what you mean by dramatic in this instance. I suppose I could have used an onboard flash, offering the stark reality of a crime reporter type image. Or should I have made the shadows sharper, deeper, more accentuated?

Details please!

kevan's lensexternal link

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 10, 2017 15:38 |  #4

Kevan wrote in post #18297426 (external link)
David,

I'm not too sure what you mean by dramatic in this instance. I suppose I could have used an onboard flash, offering the stark reality of a crime reporter type image. Or should I have made the shadows sharper, deeper, more accentuated?

Details please!

I was thinking about more contrast focused light with gridded spot to simulate light coming into dark room from a window, doorway or whatever. Film noir look.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

1,117 views & 1 like for this thread
Breathless...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.