Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 09 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 15:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is it impossible to shoot this kind of bottle 100% in camera?

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Mar 09, 2017 15:53 |  #1

Backstory:

I shoot a regular client - a specialty bottle shop, where a lot of the product is literally the bottle in the image on the website is the bottle you buy, then that image comes off the site, Recently the owner came to me two bottles I struggled with.

The video explains it a lot better, but my question is: can both of these be shot 100% in camera with minimal post?

I'm not paid for hours and hours of photoshopping...

https://youtu.be/xCjVo​R8n0X4 (external link)

Cheers for your tips/advice!

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links
mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by mathogre.
Mar 09, 2017 20:33 |  #2

G'day , Benon!

I've only shot bottles for fun (and it was fun to empty them later!).

https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157676424​791071 (external link)

That said, here are a couple thoughts for you. It's what I'd do with what I've got. (I don't have much.)

On those two bottles, I'd use a black background and light them from both sides.

For the 1792 Single Barrel Bourbon, I'd use anything I could to block light to the back. Barn doors to block, snoots to direct light, or even pieces of black foam core to keep the light to the front. Make it mysterious. You'll have to play with it, but if you get it right, you'll be able to repeat it again on bottles like that.

For the Moonshine, I'd do something similar, but would have the lights on the side and angle them just a bit forward, toward the camera. You want to light the text on the front of the bottles, not on the back. The black background should eliminate the text in the back. The angled side lighting should illuminate the text on the front. Geez, you could even do it crosswise. Light from above and left, and from below and right. And in all cases, keep the light from hitting the back of the bottle. If you can do that, the text in the back hopefully goes away. You don't even need to perfectly light all of the text on the front of the bottle, just enough to show what it is.

Plain vanilla shots won't work for this. Good! Make it interesting, make it - dare I say it? - sexy. Make it provocative. Take it a step further.

Good luck, Mate! Let me know if this helps.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Mar 09, 2017 21:01 |  #3

Hey Graham, thanks for detailed response, it's really nice of someone to put in that much thought ad effort, so thanks!

The one vital piece of info I neglected to include is that these have to be shot on a white background...

www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS

Moppie
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Mar 10, 2017 00:58 |  #4

It's easy, you take the sticker or print off the back.

I know that is not easy, but that is how it would have been done for the original product shot.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Mar 10, 2017 01:03 |  #5

Here's a very good behind the scenes and interviews with one the world's best

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=w3y6ZVN3IQ4 (external link)

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Mar 10, 2017 03:31 as a reply to Moppie's post |  #6

Can't remove the label Moppie

Moppie
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Mar 10, 2017 03:46 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #7

Not in this case, but you can if it's a stunt bottle from the manufacturer :)

As I said that doesn't help, but it is more than likely how it was done in the stock image shown in the video (and/or a lot of retouching).

When I first saw the bottle I thought the back label was designed to frame the letters on the front. If you can treat it like it's mean to be there, and get some nice light on it, it could become an interesting part of the photo.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Mar 10, 2017 05:43 as a reply to Moppie's post |  #8

Sadly none of this helps me and that video Maverick linked to doesn't show a white background shot.

My boss wants a shot of the bottle achieved in camera without the back label showing.

I'm starting to believe my title - theres no way to actually do this in camera.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,957 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 10, 2017 10:00 |  #9

BJWOK wrote in post #18297060 (external link)
My boss wants a shot of the bottle achieved in camera without the back label showing.

It sounds like time to have a talk with your boss about reality.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Mesmer
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Mar 10, 2017 10:14 |  #10

I shoot wine bottles for work. The ones that are transparent have to have the label on the back removed to avoid unwanted shadows/reflections. I've shot bottles with screen printed back labels like your second bottle and I have to do quite a bit of post work to remove it.

Short answer to your question... Yes, I believe it's impossible with what you've got and what you want to achieve. But I'd love to be proved wrong because it would be useful in my profession.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | 35 1.4 | 85L II | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | E640 | (2) 580ex ii | 430ex ii

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Mar 10, 2017 14:18 |  #11

My best shot:

1. empty contents into another container, keeping it safe and clean.

2. rinse out bottle and allow to dry completely.

3. carefully pour a durable white (matching background) paint or epoxy into the interior back of bottle, masking the back label.

4. return the contents back into the bottle and shoot.

I suspect this isn't a viable solution for you. If you can't remove the back label, you probably can't uncork it either.

kevan's lensexternal link

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Mar 10, 2017 15:57 as a reply to Kevan's post |  #12

Thanks Kevan, Yeah I definitely cannot uncork it.

The more I'm looking at it the more I'm seeing it is impossible to do in camera.

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
Mar 10, 2017 20:44 |  #13

Hi Benon!

Thank you! Sorry my response wasn't usable.

In camera with a white background? I don't think it is possible. Still, here are three other options that might be worth trying, and one suggestion.

OPTIONS

1. Fast lens, wide open, ND/VND filter. Get everything on the front of the bottle in focus, and you'll make the back side of the bottle - the label on the bourbon and the text on the moonshine - go out of focus. They'll still be there, but maybe not as prominent.

2. Angle the bottle 45° and shoot that way. While you'll get some of the back things in focus, you'll be able to see the things properly on the front. If you have a tilt-shift/perspective correction lens, all the better! You can "tilt" and keep the front in focus and the back out of focus, at least a little.

3. Shoot with a white background, and do what the client wants, to the best of what is possible. Then, do a shot with the black background on your time. Make it as good as you can. If it looks great, show your client what is possible. If he likes it, great. If not, then he's lost nothing. If it would really be a Bad Thing to do, don't bother. An unhappy client with a photo he wanted is far better than an angry client with a photo he didn't want.

SUGGESTION

Your client isn't a photographer. That's not his job. Part of our job as photographers however is to educate. With a white background, anything on the back of bottles such as those is going to be visible if you're working 100% in camera. There's no way around it. Take the moonshine. It's a clear liquid in a clear bottle with black printing on both sides. With the lighting you need and the white background he requires, all of that printing is going to be visible. There is no way around that. You will see the printing on the backside of the bottle. Your client needs to understand that. I get that he sells bottles that are rare in Australia, and wants to show exactly what is for sale. There's actually a bit of extra credibility in having the label on the back of the bourbon and the text on the back of the moonshine.

"Look at this, Mate! This is the same bottle from the website. It's got that label on the backside."

"Probably fake, Mate."

"No, no. I saved the picture. Look!"

"Crikey!"

Your client is going for authenticity. There it is. It's the bottles with the label, the printing on the back, the imperfections that could be corrected in Photoshop if only we had the time.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 10, 2017 21:04 |  #14

Mesmer wrote in post #18297240 (external link)
I shoot wine bottles for work. The ones that are transparent have to have the label on the back removed to avoid unwanted shadows/reflections. I've shot bottles with screen printed back labels like your second bottle and I have to do quite a bit of post work to remove it.

Short answer to your question... Yes, I believe it's impossible with what you've got and what you want to achieve. But I'd love to be proved wrong because it would be useful in my profession.

This ^^^

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Mar 11, 2017 08:04 |  #15

Maybe the problem here is to remove the label and put it back on without any trace.

Gearlist

sponsored links

5,610 views & 9 likes for this thread
Is it impossible to shoot this kind of bottle 100% in camera?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.