Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Sep 2015 (Monday) 07:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G1X Mark II or ????

shane_c
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 28, 2015 07:36 |  #1

A bit of background…. I’ve shot Canon SLR’s for a number of years but sold all my gear a few years ago when the Fuji X10 came out. I really enjoyed that camera but my two main issues with it were it was difficult to manually focus (you had to spin the little wheel on the back a lot of times) and I didn’t like the way the bokeh looked in images, it usually looked noisy and smudged. I sold the X10 about 1.5 years ago, at the time I was going to upgrade to the X30 but when I saw it was going to have the same size sensor I opted to pick up a Canon 60D. I am just not using it so am currently selling my gear, again, and going smaller, again. I want something that is smaller than an SLR, gives a bit of a zoom range, gives me the ability to have manual control/focus and very important on my list is image quality.

I’m currently considering the G1X MK2 and the Sony RX100 MK3 but am leaning towards the Canon because I'm familiar with the software, camera menus, etc. I’m also waiting to see what Fuji does with the X40 because I’ve read that it will be using Sony’s 1” sensor. Are there any others I should be considering? For those that have the G1X MK2 are you happy with it?

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 400L (5.6), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Judder ­ Man
756 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Judder Man.

Sep 28, 2015 14:36 |  #2

Shane_c, I,ve got both G1x versions and I,ve not really found anything that compares on IQ, Bokeh and Noise Control. the G1x mk11 is a big improvement on the mk1 with the focus speed and the touch control screen. About 3 months ago I started at looking at the Sony and Fuji equivalents and I haven't found anything yet that gives you a better lens/sensor combination without paying out a lot of money.

The SonyRX100 mk3 is not far off with image quality but I don't like the fiddly controls and it seems you have to go through an extra menu step compared to canon. Another thing to add is that the G1x mk11 is very well built and is a tough camera compared to other compacts.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Trumper
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 28, 2015 16:27 |  #3

:-) Love mine,it is good enough for the majority of stuff and my 5d mk11 and L lenses sit at home.It's not perfect and it occasionally struggles to focus on complicated situations but the quality and cropability [:)] of the photos make it a really viable option .
The price has dropped as well .

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 29, 2015 06:57 |  #4

Thanks for the replies. Most of the reviews I've seen about the RX 100's seem to point out the confusing camera menus. Would you say that the G1X MK2 is getting near SLR quality?

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 400L (5.6), Canon 1.4x II

Trumper
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 29, 2015 07:45 |  #5

I would think for most everyday photos it is close enough.If you think that most people look at photos on a monitor you would be hard pressed to see a difference.The advantage of not lugging a dslr around makes it worth while.
If you expect to have L lense quality at 400 mm then you may be expecting a bit too much but for 90% of stuff it is fine.

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 29, 2015 12:33 |  #6

Thanks! Now I just need someone to buy my gear.

Trumper
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 29, 2015 14:15 |  #7

shane_c wrote in post #17726417 (external link)
Thanks! Now I just need someone to buy my gear.

Have you got anywhere where you can try the camera before you sell your stuff.I still couldn't bring myself to sell my DSLR and lenses so i still have them.
I want you to be 100% happy with the camera.

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 29, 2015 14:27 |  #8

I will go into my local Henry's to give it a try. Either way though I'm selling the SLR stuff again and going smaller.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 07, 2015 20:16 |  #9

I have the G1x mark II and I love it. It's not as small as the RX100III but I still love it. Manual mode is just a breeze. Control wheel in the back for Apeture, lens ring for focus and second ring for shutter speed. It's a breeze. I also have big hands so it fits me perfectly.

When it comes to IQ, its great. Similar to my 60D. Focus is not as fast but works well. No issues. Noise at ISO6400 is very comparable to my 60D. The G1X is slightly better but newer sensor so that is expected.

I travel a lot and the G1x is perfect for me. Throw in my bag and no worry and way better then any phone photos. It's no sports shooter bug slow subjects and landscapes, it shines. I even did some long exposure night shots and it worked very well. Better then I expected. But since I got the G1x, I tend to leave my 60D at home evn when I'm local. I went into Boston and chose my G1x and it worked great. From playing around before I bought the G1x, I tested both at store and the RX did have a slight advantage over the G1x in terms of AF.

It's not a DSLR replacement but a hybird between point and shoot and prosumer DSLR.

I also like the 24-120mm (35mm equivalent) lens over the 24-75 on the RX100III. MP wise the RX wins but at 13MP with a 1.5" sensor, it works really perfect.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

LJ3Jim
912 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 16, 2015 17:07 |  #10

shane_c wrote in post #17724635 (external link)
A bit of background…. I’ve shot Canon SLR’s for a number of years but sold all my gear a few years ago when the Fuji X10 came out. I really enjoyed that camera but my two main issues with it were it was difficult to manually focus (you had to spin the little wheel on the back a lot of times) and I didn’t like the way the bokeh looked in images, it usually looked noisy and smudged. I sold the X10 about 1.5 years ago, at the time I was going to upgrade to the X30 but when I saw it was going to have the same size sensor I opted to pick up a Canon 60D. I am just not using it so am currently selling my gear, again, and going smaller, again. I want something that is smaller than an SLR, gives a bit of a zoom range, gives me the ability to have manual control/focus and very important on my list is image quality.

I’m currently considering the G1X MK2 and the Sony RX100 MK3 but am leaning towards the Canon because I'm familiar with the software, camera menus, etc. I’m also waiting to see what Fuji does with the X40 because I’ve read that it will be using Sony’s 1” sensor. Are there any others I should be considering? For those that have the G1X MK2 are you happy with it?

I may be a bit late to this thread, but I will share my experience. I was a failure with the G1X Mark II. It's a very good camera; don't get me wrong there. I had trouble using the LCD screen in all lighting conditions, so I got the electronic view finder. That helped, but it was an "extra" piece that had to be carried, mounted, maintained, etc. Also, I really liked using the 270EX flash with the G1X2, but I couldn't use the external flash and the viewfinder at the same time. The controls of the G1X2 were a bit more complicated than I would have liked, but I got used to them. I wasn't a fan of the flip-up screen, but I got used to that as well. However, in the end, the inability to use the viewfinder and an external flash was too much. I sold everything.

Last week, Canon announced the G5X. It has a smaller sensor than the G1X2, but it seems as though Canon has fixed most (maybe all) of my complaints with the G1X2. The G5X has a flippy screen (like a 70D), a built-in EVF, still has a hot shoe, and it has better controls. The lens ring can be used to zoom the lens, and the addition of the wheel on the front of the camera and the exposure compensation on the top of the camera seem to put the controls I use in very convenient locations. So I have a G5X on pre-order. I should have it in 2 - 3 weeks. Fingers crossed... :-)

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by shane_c.

Mar 11, 2017 17:16 |  #11

Thought I would bump my old thread. I never did end up selling my DSLR gear but instead bought two L lenses and a 1.4x since the original post. It's funny how that happens.

I've been mainly using a G15 when I want to go light and typically only use the 60d now for BIF and moon shots. I'm returning the G15 back to my partner since the camera in her phone broke but during the time I was using it I really enjoyed it.

So I have decided to sell my 17-50 (pending sale on Monday) and my 90mm since I've hardly used either in the last year. But will keep the 70-200, 400 and 1.4x for my 60d for BIF and moon shots.

So I've been thinking again that I will pick up a G1X Mark2 as my main walk around camera. I've looked at some of the 1" Canon offerings but for some reason keep coming back to the G1X2. So if all goes as planned I should have one in the next week.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 11, 2017 21:20 |  #12

Loved my G1 X Mark II. If it wasn't for me picking up the M5, I wouldn't be selling my G1 X Mark II

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

Judder ­ Man
756 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 12, 2017 06:01 |  #13

shane_c wrote in post #18298333 (external link)
Thought I would bump my old thread. I never did end up selling my DSLR gear but instead bought two L lenses and a 1.4x since the original post. It's funny how that happens.

I've been mainly using a G15 when I want to go light and typically only use the 60d now for BIF and moon shots. I'm returning the G15 back to my partner since the camera in her phone broke but during the time I was using it I really enjoyed it.

So I have decided to sell my 17-50 (pending sale on Monday) and my 90mm since I've hardly used either in the last year. But will keep the 70-200, 400 and 1.4x for my 60d for BIF and moon shots.

So I've been thinking again that I will pick up a G1X Mark2 as my main walk around camera. I've looked at some of the 1" Canon offerings but for some reason keep coming back to the G1X2. So if all goes as planned I should have one in the next week.

Yes that lens/sensor combo in the G1X is still going strong for image quality.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by shane_c. (2 edits in all)

Mar 16, 2017 07:09 |  #14

As much as I'm wanting to make the move to the G1X2 I run into the same problem every time I try to.......

Nobody wants to buy my DSLR gear for a reasonable price. So after having things posted for about 2 weeks and lowering the price to the point where I'd rather keep it I've taken down my ads. The prices were at the point where if I sold both my Sigma 17-50 and Tamron 90 macro that I'd still have to put out around $300.

So I'll just hold onto it. It's paid for and not costing me anything. In the meantime I'll start saving my pennies and someday get something smaller to compliment my DSLR. Or maybe I'll try to convince my partner to get a new phone with a functioning camera so I can have her G15 back. :lol:

Chris ­ L ­ F
205 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 16, 2017 17:09 |  #15

Sounds like a plan! :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hinkleigh/ (external link)
EOS 650D + 3 lenses + Speedlite 600EX-RT G1X Mark II G16 SX210 IS Pixma Pro-100S

sponsored links

6,422 views & 3 likes for this thread
G1X Mark II or ????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.