Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 07 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 10:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon - Sigma Sports vs Contemporary

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 08, 2017 13:55 |  #16

harveyhaddixfan wrote in post #18295433 (external link)
I missed out on a used (but looked new) one for $695. Moving the 70-300 I have will soften the blow by about $200.

Check out the classifieds on the Fred Miranda forum. The used prices there are usually much less than you will find anywhere else.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links
ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by ejenner. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 11, 2017 23:38 |  #17

I had the C and 'upgraded' to the 400 DO II.

I can tell you, the DO is sweet, but even compared to that 10x more expensive lens, the Sigma C I had was not bad at all. Sigma at f5.6 400mm IQ is about the same as the 400 DO II at f4. Thant's not bad. In fact I was a little surprised on the test - you know you'd like your $7k lens to be 5x better everywhere than the $1k lens. The Sigma needs to be around f8 at 600ms to be 'sharp', but it's not mushy wide open. And you can get to 600 without having to add the tele. DO AF is quite a bit better and it is a stop faster..

BUT the fact that I'm even comparing them should say something about the value of these 150-600 lenses.

I used the C outside in any weather that I was happy to be out in for an hour. i.e. occasional light shower, but not heavy or constant rain.

If you are not used to the big teles, and are going to hand-hold it a lot, I would definitely advise the C unless you know you need something really beefy. I occasionally wish I hadn't sold mine, but it would have mostly collected dust. Sometimes that zoom range would have been nice though. I would consider owning one again, even with having the DO if my eldest got more seriously into X-country.

Worst thing about the sigma - the hood is a bit flimsy. But it's light and probably not expensive to replace. Have folks had problems with them breaking? Haven't been following those threads.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 11, 2017 23:42 |  #18

The contemporary is $799 on Buydig right now. Coupon code on CPW.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Mar 13, 2017 06:51 as a reply to ejenner's post |  #19

The hood on my Sigma 150-600mm C was so tight it wouldn't lock at first, but after forcing it a few times it loosened up enough to lock securely onto the lens. Have not had any issues with it since and mine is still nice and tight (unlike my Canon 18-135mm STM which wobbled from day 1) but I do wish the lens cap would grab more easily. Never had so much difficulty getting the stupid cap on.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 9 months ago by John from PA.
Mar 13, 2017 07:32 |  #20

05Xrunner wrote in post #18294332 (external link)
sport gives you all metal body, bust and water fully weathersealed. That is about it.

Actually there are some quite significant differences...see the review (one of many on the web) at http://improvephotogra​phy.com ...contemporary-lens-review/ (external link).

Also, the contemporary is currently shown on Sigma's website at $989 or $100 off list. Further, if you go to the Sigma Outlet both lenses seem to be currently available in Canon mount. The 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport Refurbished is $1499 and the 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Refurbished is $819.

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by 05Xrunner.
Mar 13, 2017 07:38 |  #21

call that copy variation. even from sigmas mouth they claim the IQ between the 2 is basically identical. And from the big old review it comes down to build of weather seals and metal body are still the main differences. also i dont know what they consider light and easy..my zoom ring on my C is tight as hell

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 35 f2 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Canon 100mm f2, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2
Fuji X-T1, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Minolta 50mm 1.7 MD, Vivitar 28mm 2.8 MC, 135mm 2.8 MD

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Mar 13, 2017 08:58 |  #22

05Xrunner wrote in post #18299624 (external link)
call that copy variation. even from sigmas mouth they claim the IQ between the 2 is basically identical. And from the big old review it comes down to build of weather seals and metal body are still the main differences. also i dont know what they consider light and easy..my zoom ring on my C is tight as hell

The fact that "the Contemporary is actually faster than the Sport version from 313 to 389mm" where aperture is f/5.6 as opposed to f/6.3 is a fundamental difference in lens design. It's not a massive difference but it does count in favour of the C version.

Otherwise, I agree copy variation is likely to be behind most of the generally small quoted differences in performance. A lot of people seem to have taken the view that lower weight and lower price are a worthwhile trade-off against greater robustness and better weather sealing.

I don't own any lens longer than 300mm. The Sigma 150-600C is making a siren's call, however. I'm increasingly tempted!

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

harveyhaddixfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2016
Springfield, Ohio
Mar 13, 2017 12:54 |  #23

Thanks for all the comments. I pulled the trigger on a used one with the dock for $775 on eBay. Plus a 10% bonus Ebay bucks bringing it down to under $700. And that included the dock! This thing is amazing!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

3,338 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon - Sigma Sports vs Contemporary
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.