Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 27 Feb 2017 (Monday) 09:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hiking with heavy lenses

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 27, 2017 15:46 |  #16

craigat wrote in post #18286966 (external link)
I use the peak design strap with the quick releases, so I guess I could put the ends on the camera and the lens and switch as seems appropriate.

Well, yes, of course - that's what the system was designed for - the ability to use the same strap interchangeably with different pieces of gear by having a quick-release receptacle affixed to each lens and body that you plan to attach the strap to. .I mean, that's the whole point of getting a Peak Design system, is it not?

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Feb 28, 2017 06:58 |  #17

Did your lens not come with the carry strap? If that is a little in the narrow side then you could always use an aftermarket sling strap, and mount it from the foot in the same way as the factory one. I tend to just use the factory strap, but then I am a wheelchair user, and the Sigma strap is just long enough to let the whole lot just sit in my lap. The other option could be to use the Sigma strap, along with a wider pad over the top of the shoulder.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Feb 28, 2017 08:50 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #18

It did come with a strap, but its a bit short for my use - maybe after I loose some weight it'll be good :)

photosbytw
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 28, 2017 08:56 as a reply to craigat's post |  #19

Let me know how that works out:rolleyes:

tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Feb 28, 2017 09:31 |  #20

craigat wrote in post #18287684 (external link)
It did come with a strap, but its a bit short for my use - maybe after I loose some weight it'll be good :)

photosbytw wrote in post #18287706 (external link)
Let me know how that works out:rolleyes:

Well maybe the hiking with the heavier camera/lens combination might help a little ;). I guess trying a longer starp, mounted on the same location might help some. It seems to me like it is a very good point to have the camera/lens combination hanging from.

I will admit now that given the size and weight of the lens I generally loop both the camera and lens straps around my neck when swapping the lens, even though I am sitting down. I just can't afford an accident.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Feb 28, 2017 09:42 |  #21

IMAGE: http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/Tripod.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s329.photobucke​t.com ...y43/media/Tripod.jp​g.html] (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

WiscTim
Joined Mar 2010
northeast Wisconsin, USA
Feb 28, 2017 22:55 |  #22

I have 7d, the Sigma 150-600, and the Peak Designs Sling strap. When hiking I put one connection on the side of the camera and one on the lens foot (I rotate the lens foot to the side). The lens hangs pointing downward, is stabilized by the positioning of the connections, and does not swing around when hiking over rocks and around trees. I may rest a hand on the camera to steady it as I move. I would be afraid that the combination would swing around too much when putting both strap connections on the lens foot. Putting one connection on each of the camera and lens foot may put more stress on the lens connection, though.

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Mar 03, 2017 15:14 as a reply to WiscTim's post |  #23

yeah, I would think that would put more stress on the mounting and add a lot of torque. Seems to me it has to either connect to the camera or the lens, not both. of course, I'm not a structural engineer, so I can't say for sure.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,270 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Mar 03, 2017 16:04 |  #24

If i dont have it in the backpack, i'll just hold it by the tripod foot

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

WiscTim
Joined Mar 2010
northeast Wisconsin, USA
Mar 03, 2017 18:23 |  #25

craigat wrote in post #18290895 (external link)
yeah, I would think that would put more stress on the mounting and add a lot of torque. Seems to me it has to either connect to the camera or the lens, not both. of course, I'm not a structural engineer, so I can't say for sure.

I don't think it creates a "lot" of torque. I suspect there is more force when I am shooting on a monopod or gimbal and steadying the camera by applying downward pressure to the lens with one hand and the camera with the other.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Mar 03, 2017 20:24 |  #26

Whenever I'm hiking with a heavy lens, I always employ Cotton Carrier Vest. Hands free, great balance, weight off my neck. I wouldn't carry it any other way.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Mar 13, 2017 12:28 as a reply to post 18286970 |  #27

Well, my new mount arrived over the weekend and I attached it to the foot. So I now have the quick release tabs attached to both the 150-600 and the camera, allowing me to attach to the camera when other lenses are on, and attach to the sigma's foot when its connected. When I do so, the camera sits with the lens parallel to the ground rather than perpendicular, but I can live with that, so I guess that's how it'll be. Thanks for all the input.

sponsored links

1,493 views & 16 likes for this thread
Hiking with heavy lenses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.