Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,104 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.
Mar 12, 2017 15:53 |  #10636

Alveric wrote in post #18299014 (external link)
As long as the values are not 255 AFTER processing, it's not overexposed.

That is what I thought so how do you guys says my shot was over-exposed? I assume LR will say the same numbers if on my computer and yours. ;-)a

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
Mindeater
29 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Congleton, England
Mar 12, 2017 16:44 |  #10637

bobbyz wrote in post #18299035 (external link)
That is what I thought so how do you guys says my shot was over-exposed? I assume LR will say the same numbers if on my computer and yours. ;-)a

I don't think looking at RGB values to determine whether an image is overexposed should be used as an out right rule. Overexposure is much more a subjective property, and in portraiture is often characterised by the highlights being blown out. It doesn't necessarily follow that they would reach a value of 255, showing they were clipped by the sensor.

The image being discussed does look a little overexposed, to me, looking as though some of the detail has been lost in the highlights.

Pippan
428 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Pippan. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 12, 2017 17:52 |  #10638

Mindeater wrote in post #18299082 (external link)
I don't think looking at RGB values to determine whether an image is overexposed should be used as an out right rule. Overexposure is much more a subjective property, and in portraiture is often characterised by the highlights being blown out. It doesn't necessarily follow that they would reach a value of 255, showing they were clipped by the sensor.

The image being discussed does look a little overexposed, to me, looking as though some of the detail has been lost in the highlights.

If highlights were not clipped at capture, the sensor has not been overexposed and detail is there to be brought out. If you think it's been processed to look too bright or light, that's another thing but it's not over-exposure. Some people call it high-key.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Mar 12, 2017 17:58 |  #10639

Pippan wrote in post #18299168 (external link)
If highlights were not clipped at capture, the sensor has not been overexposed and detail is there to be brought out. If you think it's been processed to look too bright or light, that's another thing but it's not over-exposure. Some people call it high-key.

Precisely.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorably in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,104 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Mar 12, 2017 21:36 |  #10640

Yup. Problem I think is that too many folks have their displays set to high brightness where shots like I posted look over-exposed. Usually I don't go that high but I am mostly on little more exposure than typical folks. Helps when shooting female subjects IMHO.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 3 months ago by dmward.
Mar 12, 2017 21:53 |  #10641

bobbyz wrote in post #18298900 (external link)
Just curious, how do you define over-exposed? What kind of R/G/B numbers you guys looking at the face, forehead. Maybe show some sample shots. Look at this shot from Peter. Isn't it similar to what I posted.

http://pdnpulse.pdnonl​ine.com ...ps-for-men-and-women.html (external link)

Bobby,
Your headshot isn't over exposed.
The higher key look for women gives their skin a porcelain look that Hurley, Grimes and a lot of other headshot, glamour and portrait photographers strive for with women. One visual key for me, when viewing these images, is the deep black in the pupil and some midtone contrast in the hair with the smooth highlights and skin tones that are higher value. Normal northern European skin is usually considered to be about 75% in Lightroom. Getting it up to mid to high 8X% works. That still leaves some room for highlights. Its also important, in my view, to keep the red and magenta tones under control.

Like this:

IMAGE: http://dmwfotos.com/iibd/wp-content/gallery/denise/DMWA2593.jpg

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 12, 2017 22:14 |  #10642

Over exposure is not simply a matter of saturating a photosite with photons.
The Zone system, and Ansel Adams tonal control of his landscapes is probably as good a lesson about exposure and tonal control as there is in photography.

Tonal control is about getting every tonal value in an image where one wants it for creative intent.
The range we have available is from white with detail (93 or so % in LR) to black with detail (12% or so)
Its the phototgrapher's artistic choice for placing the skin along the tone curve.

IMAGE: http://dmwfotos.com/iibd/wp-content/gallery/home-p/untitled-0841-3.jpg

HERE (external link) is another image (NSFW), same lighting different processing, less high key.

Both images the histogram is well within the dynamic range of the camera.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Yucca Valley, CA
Mar 13, 2017 03:41 |  #10643

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2879/33265700631_ef0c02934e_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SFzp​QB] (external link)Kenneth Cole New York: Copper Watch (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

riffster
Joined Apr 2009
Ohio
Mar 13, 2017 10:09 |  #10644

Some cigars & guns.

HOSTED PHOTO

5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

71sbeetle
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Mar 13, 2017 17:12 |  #10645

Thanks again for the tips on the C-stand (had never used them before)
Here is another shot I did for www.magstang.com (external link) they should have a new website coming soon, very impressive car!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

gareymartin.comexternal link
flickrexternal link
gear list | CPS.
eBayexternal link | POTN
VWVortexexternal link

Tc202
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
Florida
Mar 13, 2017 20:31 |  #10646

arthurbikemad wrote in post #18298602 (external link)
Where was the flash? :)

Don't worry it was still in the bag :-)

Camera AF Guides:1DX Mark II (external link)5DS/ SR (external link)7D Mark II (external link)
Location Guides: Yellowstone Winter Guide (external link)Fort De Soto Guide (external link)
Instagram (external link)Guiding Services/ Blog: Outback Photo Adventures (external link)- Thomas

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,802 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Mar 21, 2017 16:33 |  #10647

Alveric wrote in post #18299014 (external link)
As long as the values are not 255 AFTER processing, it's not overexposed.

That's not true. Overexposing happens during the capture, not during post processing. In post, you can drag the ceiling down below 255, and it just makes all of the overexposed portions gray. They're still overexposed though.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Alveric. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 21, 2017 19:42 |  #10648

waterrockets wrote in post #18307215 (external link)
That's not true. Overexposing happens during the capture, not during post processing. In post, you can drag the ceiling down below 255, and it just makes all of the overexposed portions gray. They're still overexposed though.

Please look at (and maybe quote as well) the context of the question I answered with that. Yes, I agree that proper exposure and/or exposure errors happen at the time of capture. Yet you can still end up with an 'overexposed' end product by blowing out the values in post-processing. Some might call it 'overcooking', but it's still 'post-post-processing overexposure' all the same.

See for yourself:

This is the original image with no adjustments applied, other than the WB correction and the profile for the camera (note the RBG and overall brightness values at the main highlight):

IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/Bilder/Examples/Post_overexposure--001.jpg

This is the image with the final post-processing applied (again, note the values in the red square –they have gone up by a few units but they're not blown out, although the red channel is pushing it):
IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/Bilder/Examples/Post_overexposure--002.jpg

And this is what happens with aggressive post-processing –in this case a strong contrast curve (the red channel is blown out, as is the overall brightness, and the green and blue channels would probably print out as blown out as well, what with them being one point shy of 255):
IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/Bilder/Examples/Post_overexposure--003.jpg

Again, the image was properly exposed at the time of capture, but in the last example 'twas nuked during post-processing. THAT is what I was talking about: an image that will have spots blown out (values beyond 255 RBG/100% CMYK) when it's output –especially for print, since paper has a lower dynamic range than screens.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorably in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006
barrie ont. ca
Mar 21, 2017 20:34 |  #10649

dmward wrote in post #18299376 (external link)
Bobby,
Your headshot isn't over exposed.
The higher key look for women gives their skin a porcelain look that Hurley, Grimes and a lot of other headshot, glamour and portrait photographers strive for with women. One visual key for me, when viewing these images, is the deep black in the pupil and some midtone contrast in the hair with the smooth highlights and skin tones that are higher value. Normal northern European skin is usually considered to be about 75% in Lightroom. Getting it up to mid to high 8X% works. That still leaves some room for highlights. Its also important, in my view, to keep the red and magenta tones under control.

Like this:

QUOTED IMAGE

not digging it David, the skin looks over exposed to me regardless of what your histogram says, this is not the look I see in fashion and glam magazines, sometimes we need to forget what Peter Hurley does and please ourselves ;-)a

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 21, 2017 22:04 |  #10650

FJ LOVE wrote in post #18307474 (external link)
not digging it David, the skin looks over exposed to me regardless of what your histogram says, this is not the look I see in fashion and glam magazines, sometimes we need to forget what Peter Hurley does and please ourselves ;-)a

To each their own.
My point is that there is a style that wants skin tones to be bright.

sponsored links

3,938,527 views & 4877 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.