Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 10 Mar 2017 (Friday) 12:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gear for each part of the day?

dan.k78
Joined Mar 2009
Cheektowaga, New York
Mar 10, 2017 12:23 |  #1

More out of curiosity than anything, but how much of your gear do you take with you for each part of a "typical" full day wedding?

We typically work in teams but are responsible for our own gear (ie. no assistants), and this is how I try to keep organized without breaking my back. Obviously it also depends on how many locations, how much walking is involved, if it is a one-stop-shop day, etc...

Bridal Prep: minimal kit in a shoulder bag (2 bodies, flash, few lenses)
Ceremony: full roller bag
Location shoot: RL Handcrafters double harness and a small shoulder bag
Reception: roller bag w/lightstands etc.. strapped to it

It'll be interesting to hear everyone else's working setup.

Gear: 5DIII; 6D; Canon 16-35 f/4L; Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC; Sigma 35mm f/1.4A; Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro; Canon 85mm f/1.8; Phottix Mitros+;580exii; Metz AF 50-1

sponsored links
frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Post has been edited 7 months ago by frugivore.
Mar 10, 2017 13:29 |  #2

For bridal prep, i just bring one body with a 24-70mm and a flash. My car is usually nearby so I can access my gear if needed. If I'm parked far, I'll bring my whole case with second body and all lenses.

For ceremony, i bring it all and I'll carry two bodies on me: 24-70mm & 70-200mm. I'll bring flash of it's allowed. I have these on my Cotton Carrier vest/holster. I bring my camera case, Pelican 1520, and stash it in the church.

Portrait shoot will usually be the 70-200mm with flash.

At the reception, i bring my camera/lens case, my lighting case (monolights) and light stand bag. The lighting case (Pelican 1610) is quite heavy but at least it rolls.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Mar 10, 2017 19:03 |  #3

Min of 4 bodies, 8 lenses and 2 flashes on me at all times. I shoot with a custom 4 body harness.

Peter

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Mar 13, 2017 09:53 |  #4

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18297654 (external link)
Min of 4 bodies, 8 lenses and 2 flashes on me at all times. I shoot with a custom 4 body harness.

4 bodies....... My hero! 2 max for us at one time. One a prime lens and the other a zoom. But we always have two shooters so we usually have it covered.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

evolyllaphotography
Joined Dec 2016
Toronto
Mar 13, 2017 15:32 |  #5

two body and prime lens combos on double harness and two extra lenses and flashes; 99.9% of the time flashes are only asked for comes reception

Toronto Documentary Wedding Photographer | Evolylla Photography (external link)
follow me on Instagram (external link); follow me on Facebook (external link); Canon shooter

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Mar 14, 2017 10:31 |  #6

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18297654 (external link)

I think you are one of the best on this site, but sitting here with the snow falling and stuck at home, reading your response I have to smile and try to envision what that must look like with that gear set up you use. If old enough, I picture that Jackie Gleason show where he is playing the man of the future or something titled like that with pots and pans attached to his body everywhere and clanging away. I cannot imagine 4 bodies with lens, on you and trying to move around in tight quarters or a church. Have a photo of you with that setup on?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 28, 2017 00:37 |  #7

I started doing commercial photography a long time ago. My mantra has always been to be prepared and don't leave something you might need in the studio.

So, my car has my camera case with two bodies, all the lenses, filters, cable releases etc. The back cargo area has 4 strobes, 4 bare bulb flashes and 2 speedlites. There are also 8, 10 and 13 foot light stands. Along with several modifiers for the lights.

Now, what do I use. One camera with 2 or three lenses depending on the locations planned for the day. One speedlite, with a backup. Maybe one bare bulb strobe at the church for formals. 3 or 4 strobes at the reception depending on the room and lighting requirements.

HERE (external link) is my wedding website incase you want to see the results.:-D

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

1,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear for each part of the day?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.