Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 08 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 13:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art, reviewed by GregDunn

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND GregDunn (showing now: GregDunn)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money9
Bokehn/a
not rated
Sharpness10
Contrast10
Focusing10
Must Have7.5
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Indiana
Mar 08, 2017 13:47 |  #1

A large part of what I do is sports or event related; for the big events I have a FF camera and my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II but there are also less critical events where I don't want to haul out the big system: due to the environment, saving wear and tear, lens choices, etc. I often use my 7D mk II which is an APS-C sensor. The big gap here is that I didn't have a zoom which compares to the 70-200 for this camera (and that lens is WAY too long on APS-C for the venue where it gets used). So for a while I had to make do with my 24-70 (short on the tele end) or my 24-105 (small aperture leading to slower/less accurate autofocus). The venue is very dark, with nasty old fluorescent lights. Even though I use strobes, the initial focus acquisition is troublesome. All my cameras, even the 1Dx, need something with at least a f/2.8 max aperture to focus consistently here. (Keep in mind that, especially using AI Servo as I have to, the more light reaching the AF sensor the better the camera can focus - even well above the specification limit. Additionally, in some cases, the larger aperture enables higher precision AF points for the high end Canon bodies)

For once, there isn't a Canon lens which meets my needs. I looked at the old Sigma 50-150, but the reviews were generally mediocre and it's hard to find. However, the new 50-100 looked like it might do the job. Reviews have been quite positive, the range looked like it might be adequate, and the unusually large max aperture promised better autofocus. I handled one recently on a 7D mk II and was encouraged by the feel and functionality, so ultimately I bought one.

This lens is big. And solid. It really feels like a quality piece of gear, and balances nicely on the 7D sized body. The controls are smooth and positive, and the rubber grips very easy to manipulate. The zoom ring is back near the camera body so that I don't accidentally touch the focus ring. And the lens includes a solid tripod mount. That's usually the first thing people complain about: that the mount gets in their way. Personally, if the subject hadn't been brought up in numerous reviews, I doubt I would have commented on it. I use the tripod mount on larger lenses like the 70-200 and 100-400 as a palm rest, giving my fingers freedom to manipulate the lens controls without abandoning the stable support. The same holds true for this lens; I don't have large hands, but I can easily turn the zoom ring with thumb and middle fingers while the mount rests on my palm and gives the lens stability. Not even an issue for me.

The only real problem I'm having in getting used to this lens is that the zoom ring turns the "wrong" way compared to every Canon lens. Some people dismiss this as just a preference and not a concern. Others, including me, have developed a methodology for framing moving objects that has been internalized - muscle memory if you will. I need to track moving subjects and anticipate where they will go, adjusting framing as they move. When I start out by turning the ring the wrong way and then having to reverse it, it forces me to hurry my compositions and make mistakes. Worse, not only do I change lenses during an event, but all except this one zoom in the direction I'm accustomed to. I put this on my camera last night and shot for 2 hours with just the one lens; even at the end of the event I needed to consciously remind myself that the lens zoomed the opposite way, which slowed down my response and made framing a frustrating task. Will I be able to train myself to use this lens properly? Yes, but it's an obstacle that I really wish I didn't have to deal with. Honestly, when using it I'll probably end up framing wider and cropping in post, which partially negates the advantage of a zoom.

So, how about autofocus? This was a pleasant surprise. I'm used to my 70-200 IS II which is a beast - it's so fast that sometimes I can't tell if it's focusing or not. The Sigma, with its huge max aperture, seemed every bit as good even in low light. I tried to make it fail by shooting through a smeared rainy window at a cable pedestal across the street. As long as it could see some contrast, it snapped into focus. Even when it had to hunt, the MFD to infinity traverse was impressively fast, though a bit noisier than the 70-200. Using it last night in poor light on subjects of varying contrast, it hit 99% of the time which is better than I expected. I'm very critical of autofocus, but this lens behaved quite well indeed and tracked moving subjects accurately. Incidentally, it isn't clear whether the high end Canon bodies enable their dual cross-type AF points for the Sigma large aperture lenses, and the camera data won't tell you whether it does. I have no quibbles with accuracy on this lens, though, so in the end it's a moot point. There are some indications that the lens ID sent by Sigma to the body indicates that this lens is a Canon 28mm f/1.8 (not the same as the EXIF, which correctly identifies the brand/model), and that this may in fact enable the high precision dual cross AF points. There isn't enough evidence to determine if this is actually true.

Image quality: to some, this is the only measurement that matters. To me, it's one of several; if I can't use the lens comfortably or get focus on the subject, it might as well be a pinhole camera for all the good image quality does me. I shot a few static subjects in poor light just to make use of the f/1.8 aperture, and the quality was excellent - even at the edges. My event last night was at f/4, just because I was using strobes and I needed enough depth of focus to include a small group of subjects, but it's where the lens will be used a lot so it was worth evaluating. I haven't really wrung it out yet with a variety of conditions, but initial results are everything I hoped for. It's a worthy challenger to my 70-200 IS II, and if you really need that narrow depth of field on APS-C, this lens will do it.

Now something a little controversial. I am unapologetic about my belief in AF microadjustment to get the best out of a lens. Expecting a manufacturer (let alone two manufacturers, such as in this case) to control tolerances to the level where the camera+lens is perfect is an unreasonable position. I will let this article (external link) speak for me, because Roger says it completely and eloquently. Sigma has taken some heat (from people who don't understand this) about their USB lens dock, which allows you to correct for these tolerances yourself instead of playing merry-go-round with the manufacturer(s) and sending equipment back until you get lucky. I prefer to put the lens on and get down to business as quickly as possible, which means configuring everything I can for my setup at home.

Because I've had a lot of experience making adjustments on my Canon/Canon systems, I was able to configure this lens, using the dock, fairly quickly (I'd say half an hour to mount/unmount it twice, measure the offsets, and update the lens settings). When done, a quick check of the camera/lens microadjustment (using the camera internal settings) showed that the AF calibration had been a success. After critiquing the photos from my event last night, I think one small tweak will make it near perfect. I may write an article on how to approach this, because there seems to be a lot of confusion about how to determine the lens offsets, especially on a Canon body. For me, it was painless and quick - but as I said, I've done this a lot in the past. I think Sigma should be commended for making a full lens calibration possible to end users who feel they need it, at a bargain price.

My overall impression of the 50-100 Art? An excellent lens, mechanically impressive and optically superb. I'm a little disappointed that I have to deal with the reversed zoom direction, but since everything else about this lens is first rate, I'm not going to downgrade my rating much because of it. If I can condition myself to compensate for it, the lens should work well for me.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

PINNACLE
Joined Oct 2010
Nr Guildford, England
Mar 14, 2017 14:44 |  #2

A very good review, not a lens I would have considered as mostly 120-600mm but if things change I will have a closer look at this lens based on your review.

Sigma have really changed, I remember trying to get a good copy of their 10-20mm and failing badly, then I started on football and the only one answer was the 120-300mm f2.8 Sport and it knocked me for six, just so well made and functions like a dream. I then got a 150-600mmC which really does deliver for a cheap lens so I am glad the Art range is ticking boxes as well.

PINNACLE PHOTO LOG (external link) on Flickr
Canon 1DMKiv, Canon 7Dii, Canon G15, Tokina 12-24mm, 24-105mmL, 70-200mmf2.8iiL, Canon 300mmf4L, Sigma 150-600mmC, Canon 500f4L, 430EXii, 580EXii and a few other bits.

GregDunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Indiana
Mar 23, 2017 15:21 |  #3

I've had a couple of weeks to put this lens to use and should probably follow up with what I've learned since then. Overall, my reaction is still decidedly positive, but there are a couple of things which are useful to know.

I'm still trying to adjust to the zoom ring direction; if I concentrate on setting the zoom properly before taking a shot of moving subjects, and put my hand on the ring at such an angle that the right direction of rotation is more natural to start turning than the wrong direction, I can almost always start to track and frame well enough to get my shot. If the subject reverses direction or I need to switch subjects, it's still far from intuitive, however. Last weekend I had to switch back to my Canon 70-200, and it's clear that my "muscle memory" favors the Canon standard direction. Still a work in progress, but not a deal breaker. It's a bit more of a bother that the zoom ring is quite stiff; if you have to make a dramatic change in a hurry, the lens will fight you a bit. Some may prefer the very smooth and well damped feel; it's another thing you need to find out for yourself.

Something more important to the typical user, though: this lens very definitely exhibits a focus shift at smaller apertures. If you calibrate it at f/1.8 (and why wouldn't you, to make use of the lens' maximum aperture?) and then shoot at f/4, the lens front-focuses noticeably. In my case, I shoot quite a lot at f/4 to f/5 for sports, so I needed to move AF calibration back about 1/2 of the DoF. This is significant. It wasn't just my calibration procedure, either; if I calibrated at f/4 then it was fine shooting at f/4. This is not an easy thing to do, of course, because most every camera focuses at max aperture and then stops down to expose - even in live view mode; so you'll have to work out how to do this, or just calibrate the lens using photos of something that can be used effectively at a smaller aperture. From what I've read online, this effect seems to be fairly common with Sigma lenses, so be aware that it may affect how you shoot if you change aperture frequently.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 2 months ago by icor1031.
Aug 09, 2017 01:03 |  #4

I didn't even know this lens existed.. a portrait range zoom at f/1.8, and it's an art - dang!

Thanks for posting about it, OP.

EDIT: Is this not an EF lens? :\

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

griesmonkey
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
Aug 31, 2017 13:18 as a reply to icor1031's post |  #5

No, crop sensor only. I just did a senior shoot with it and i bought it the next day after renting it. It's a beautiful lens. Color rendition is great!

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

1,434 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art, reviewed by GregDunn
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.