Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 12 Mar 2017 (Sunday) 14:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice for Godox V860II fix

DigitalTuned
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Lynn Massachusetts
Post has been edited 4 months ago by DigitalTuned.
Mar 12, 2017 14:21 |  #1

I have a small problem with the V860II speed light.
The screws that hold the cirquit board and possibly the hotshoe, keep getting loose. I had a major failure at a wedding last night in the middle of the ceremony. It would reset itself back to default mode. Thank god I always carry backups though I didn't get the results I had set up for since I was triggering 2 ab360ii with the 860.

Don't want to super glue the screws = stupid
I have thought of loctite but will loctite be effective?
I have even though about putting a dab of Elmer's glue in the threaded holes. The screws were so far out I think their wew touching the board above them and shorting out. Lmk thx

IMAGE: http://i64.tinypic.com/19tp9k.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 12, 2017 22:19 |  #2

I don't think locktite will work with plastic. The elmer's in the screw holes should help.

What are you doing with your light that causes the screws to loosen?
Also, place some electrical tape between the two boards if you think the loosening screws are shorting out the other board.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DigitalTuned
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Lynn Massachusetts
Mar 12, 2017 22:40 |  #3

dmward wrote in post #18299395 (external link)
I don't think locktite will work with plastic. The elmer's in the screw holes should help.

What are you doing with your light that causes the screws to loosen?
Also, place some electrical tape between the two boards if you think the loosening screws are shorting out the other board.

Using as a master at weddings.. IDK why it keeps getting loose.. may be because im switching from vertical to horizontal and vise versa?
ill try the elmers

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

elv
Goldmember
1,408 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Mar 13, 2017 00:05 |  #4

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18299417 (external link)
may be because im switching from vertical to horizontal and vise versa?
ill try the elmers

If you haven't loosened up the head movement then that is the problem. Its not uncommon.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

SereneSpeed
654 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Mar 13, 2017 03:44 |  #5

Threadloc, that's what it's made for.

If the plastic is damaged, it won't work, otherwise, see above.

http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/dmwbphotography (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/danielmwbuehle​r (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 13, 2017 07:57 |  #6

elv wrote in post #18299452 (external link)
If you haven't loosened up the head movement then that is the problem. Its not uncommon.

I haven't tried to loosen up the head on my speedlites. I do make sure I'm gripping the head and body of the speedlite when twisting the head.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

NDAPhoto
134 posts
Joined Jul 2015
California
Mar 13, 2017 11:17 |  #7

The stiffness of the V860II's is an issue. Both tilting and rotating require a lot more effort than with Canon Speedlites. Puts a lot of stress on the base and hot shoe.

I have done similar repairs a few times. Once metal screws strip the plastic threads it only gets worse. If the base is not cracked, best fix is JB Weld or similar two-part epoxy from Walmart or any hardware store. Remove the screws. Mix a small amount of epoxy and coat the threads inside the hole using a toothpick. Don't fill the hole, just apply a thin layer enough to coat the threads. Let it dry overnight. Reinsert the screws and they will re-tap the threads. Should be permanent, if not stronger than the original plastic.

DigitalTuned
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Lynn Massachusetts
Post has been edited 4 months ago by DigitalTuned.
Mar 13, 2017 21:53 |  #8

Will do, used the Elmer's glue but I'm not expecting it to hold very long. One thing is for aire is that I have to keep watch and probably find a way to tilt the head without putting much stress on the bottom. Thx for the tips guys, I'll let you know how the Elmer's does lol..

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

bigVinnie
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 14, 2017 07:46 |  #9

JB Weld.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

DigitalTuned
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Lynn Massachusetts
Mar 15, 2017 01:03 |  #10

its not broken, just gets loose

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links

1,029 views & 2 likes for this thread
Advice for Godox V860II fix
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.