Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 15 Apr 2016 (Friday) 04:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 6D, reviewed by fotografnuntabrasov

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND fotografnuntabrasov (showing now: fotografnuntabrasov)
Overall Ratingn/a
not rated
Overall Image Qualityn/a
not rated
Value for Moneyn/a
not rated
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expectedn/a
not rated
AF Performancen/a
not rated
Handling and Ergonomicsn/a
not rated
User-interfacen/a
not rated
photo by johntorcasio
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 6D

fotografnuntabrasov
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Italy
Apr 15, 2016 04:13 |  #1

Best low light/price camera. I love this pice of heaven! The only issue with this is the foccusing system. You can relly only on the central focus point!

Fotograf nunta Brasov (external link)
Canon 6D | Canon EF 35 f1.4 L II | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II IS | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS

sponsored links
CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Apr 15, 2016 20:51 |  #2

Really? The other focus points are unreliable? Or is the center point just so much better than the others?

While realizing it is not marketed as an EOS 1, I am skeptical of any modern camera receiving much criticism of basic functions. Having been introduced to AF in the film era, I am amazed at the results I've gotten with my previous 40D's and now my 7D's in what is often a very dark stage environment. It is certainly a feature I've come to rely on out of necessity.

Have you had unusual difficulty when not using the center point? The 6D would be my first choice in a move to FF, especially for its low EV metering and hopefully AF capability. Your feedback is appreciated.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

fotografnuntabrasov
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Italy
May 05, 2016 04:07 as a reply to CanonCameraFan's post |  #3

All the other focus points are unreliable to focus. I am using the central focus point to focus, lock the focus and then recompose. It works on f/2.8 but on my Canon 35 f1.4 lens this doesent work...

Fotograf nunta Brasov (external link)
Canon 6D | Canon EF 35 f1.4 L II | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II IS | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS

anfidraw
Joined Jul 2013
Italy
May 05, 2016 06:09 |  #4

The central point is a cross, the other not. But no af problem even with the peripheral points with my lens.

My WebSite (external link)
my photobook (external link)
my e-book (external link)
Instagram (external link)

don1163
Goldmember
Joined May 2015
Washford, Somerset/ UK
May 05, 2016 15:20 |  #5

Mines fine with the other AF points as well... Not much of a review.

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

aezoss
Joined Nov 2013
May 07, 2016 02:08 |  #6

don1163 wrote in post #17996995 (external link)
Mines fine with the other AF points as well...

No problem here either. All my lenses work fine with all points in one shot and servo. MFA'd my fast primes. Zooms were good out of the box.

My only complaint about the 6D AF system is the point distribution across the frame. The D610's not much better in that regard. 39 points crammed into roughly the same amount of space as the 6D's 11. It's a compromise. Great sensors with decent though not spectacular AF systems. For their intended audience I think both bodies are reasonably equipped.

Lee

Scoobert
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
May 08, 2016 21:10 |  #7

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #17973288 (external link)
Really? The other focus points are unreliable? Or is the center point just so much better than the others?

While realizing it is not marketed as an EOS 1, I am skeptical of any modern camera receiving much criticism of basic functions. Having been introduced to AF in the film era, I am amazed at the results I've gotten with my previous 40D's and now my 7D's in what is often a very dark stage environment. It is certainly a feature I've come to rely on out of necessity.

Have you had unusual difficulty when not using the center point? The 6D would be my first choice in a move to FF, especially for its low EV metering and hopefully AF capability. Your feedback is appreciated.

I would really rent one before buying it. I spent a week with one while my 70D was at canon for repair. What I found was the center was freaking awesome, any other point was challenging at best to use for anything not in great light and sitting still. One of the rescues I was taking pictures for had a two day open house. Getting one of the side focus points to get and keep a tracking lock on a donkey just walking by ended up with a very low focus hit rate. This was late afternoon/early evening where even my 70D would have had no problem get a lock. However switching to the center point was greeted with an instant and accurate lock.
If you can get away with just using the center point (at any time no matter the light) and being really selective about when you can use the outer points it would be a fantastic camera. I wanted to love that camera because of its price I thought sure it would be my first full frame. In the end I was really glad I rented it. After a week with I found there is no way I would have been happy with that focus system coming from a 70D and being used to using the outer points at almost any time.

But man that center point, its great.

Foggytop
32 posts
Joined Jan 2010
PA
Jun 28, 2016 07:13 |  #8

Anyone else have further experience with the focusing of the 6D? So many online reviews claim it can focus down to -3EV, but none seem to mention the above issue re: center point only. Looking at this as a backup for my 5DIII and as my second shooters camera, but if the focus is worse than the 7D i just got rid of...

Some photographers WAIT for the action..we CHASE it!
More stuff than I care to have...

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Jun 28, 2016 11:05 |  #9

Foggytop wrote in post #18052157 (external link)
Anyone else have further experience with the focusing of the 6D? So many online reviews claim it can focus down to -3EV, but none seem to mention the above issue re: center point only. Looking at this as a backup for my 5DIII and as my second shooters camera, but if the focus is worse than the 7D i just got rid of...

I have had my 6D for a couple of years, and I can't understand the negative responses to the AF system. I have read negative comments from people who have never owned one, but saw a review on some internet blog, so it must be true. For others, the only camera that is worth owning is the 5DIII, again "knowledge" spewed by people who have never owned either camera. I don't shoot sports, so the 6D focusing system is just fine. The outer focusing points do just fine in just about every situation I have encountered. Why would I spend an extra $1000+ for focus points I will never use. That $1000 I saved by buying the 6D was happily spent on additional glass that is very happy sitting a 6D. The outer focus points work well, and I am very happy with my 6D.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Indiana
Jun 29, 2016 01:28 as a reply to eddieb1's post |  #10

I do shoot sports, and when I got my 6D I decided to shoot an event just to see whether it could handle the AF requirement or not. I tested the camera during a practice and then an actual game the next day (I shoot roller derby, which is pretty demanding on focus and tracking).

The result with center point was fully as good as with my 5D mk iii. I only use center point about 90% of the time on my other bodies anyway, so it was a fair comparison. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the 6D for any event based on my experience. On the occasions where I use peripheral points, I'm not looking for world class performance anyway. More likely I'm trying to avoid focus-recompose hassles.

The only reason I use the 5D mk iii regularly is that it has a more durable shutter, CF card and the occasionally useful small zone AF. Sometimes it's worth its price. :-)

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Foggytop
32 posts
Joined Jan 2010
PA
Jun 29, 2016 05:19 as a reply to GregDunn's post |  #11

Still debating between the 6D and a 7DII (yeah I know, two completely different beasts), but good to know the focus on the 6D is up to par. I do a lot of canine sports, the center focus is not as useful as I often need to choose the lower or upper point from center, but for larger dogs the center would work. I'm guessing roller derby has less than optimal indoor lighting? What ISO / shutter speed combos do you use?

Some photographers WAIT for the action..we CHASE it!
More stuff than I care to have...

sleepingsheep
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Dec 12, 2016 12:39 |  #12

Debating 6d or Mirrorless: Sony a7r series.

price is killing me, however, on the Sony.

jhanson25
48 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Dec 17, 2016 09:07 |  #13

I loved my 6D!!

blulight
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 15, 2017 07:35 as a reply to aezoss's post |  #14

what would you recommend then, for a "next best choice"?

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Mar 15, 2017 08:29 as a reply to blulight's post |  #15

There is no 'next best choice'.

The 6D is a great piece for anything you choose to do with it. If you're a capable photographer and you know your equipment the 6D will be an outstanding performer for you.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

sponsored links

5,223 views & 10 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 6D, reviewed by fotografnuntabrasov
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.