Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 14 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 08:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do you care about shutter sound?

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 5 months ago by kf095.
Mar 14, 2017 15:40 |  #16

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18300967 (external link)
I really like the sound of the shutter on my M3, not sure why but it's a more pleasant sound than the clacking sound made by my T6s or the machine gun 7D2. Have definitely spooked a few birds with the 7d2. The M3 is almost a metallic brush sound and doesn't have the typical shutter sound.

-Joe

The M3 shutter sound is most pleasing shutter sound I have experienced. It is more kissing than M4-2 sound, not to mention FED-2. :-P

http://www.independent​.co.uk ...mous-camera-10120441.html (external link)

Let's leave the last word to Cartier-Bresson, who could never be persuaded to betray his first love: "The Leica feels like a big warm kiss, like a shot from a revolver, like the psychoanalyst's couch."

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Mar 14, 2017 15:57 |  #17

The solution to a noisy shutter is simply. Buy a mirrorless camera and put it in silent mode. Of course the downside of a completely silent shutter is that you keep checking to see if the camera took a shot or not, and if it took the shot you expected. It's amazing how much our brain relies on the shutter sound to give confirmation of when the camera took the picture. On the other hand, I find the shutter sound of my 1D to be a bit obtrusive and harsh compared to my 5D, and my Rebel just sounds like a toy.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 14, 2017 16:04 |  #18

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18300990 (external link)
Of course the downside of a completely silent shutter is that you keep checking to see if the camera took a shot or not, and if it took the shot you expected. It's amazing how much our brain relies on the shutter sound to give confirmation of when the camera took the picture.

If you have your DSLR set up properly, then whenever you take a shot the image shows up on the LCD playback display - no need to wonder if you took a shot or not, and no need to depend on the noise that the shutter makes.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Mar 14, 2017 16:16 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18300998 (external link)

If you have your DSLR set up properly, then whenever you take a shot the image shows up on the LCD playback display - no need to wonder if you took a shot or not, and no need to depend on the noise that the shutter makes.

I'm aware of that, but when I'm shooting something fast moving I don't stop to chimp, I rely on the shutter sound coupled with the brief mirror blackout to tell me what the image I just captured looks like, if that makes sense. That last image before the mirror flips up freezes in my brain just long enough to recognize it. With a mirrorless camera set to silent mode you lose those mental references. It can be a bit disorienting. You don't realize how much your brain relies on the cues the camera provides until you take them away.

That said, shooting my Sony in silent mode is damn eerie. I usually only use it when I know the sound of my Canons shutter will disrupt the event.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 14, 2017 16:52 |  #20

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18301009 (external link)
I'm aware of that, but when I'm shooting something fast moving I don't stop to chimp, I rely on the shutter sound coupled with the brief mirror blackout to tell me what the image I just captured looks like, if that makes sense. That last image before the mirror flips up freezes in my brain just long enough to recognize it. With a mirrorless camera set to silent mode you lose those mental references. It can be a bit disorienting. You don't realize how much your brain relies on the cues the camera provides until you take them away.

I do understand what you are saying. When I use my 1D4 in silent mode, I lose the connection with the subject, and the resultant timing that I rely on to get the best possible image.

Some years ago I went to great means to try to muffle the sound that the shutter of my 1D Mark 2 made.

I was shooting Ruffed Grouse from a blind at close distance, and the very first time I would take a shot, the Grouse would flee and not come back again that day. So I would get up at 2:30 in the morning, sit in the frigid cold for hours, waiting for it to get light, and then get absolutely nothing out of the whole endeavor, all because of that stinking shutter noise. Damn the noisy shutters! Damn them!

I tried everything I could to muffle the camera noise - getting a neoprene protective cover around the camera, wrapping a heavy fleece hood around the camera, using a heavy blanket to line the blind with, etc. Nothing worked at all, because the one place that you can't insulate against escaping sound is the lens itself - the horrid shutter noise will carry through the lens barrel and the glass and escape out the front of the set-up, no matter what else you do to try to stop it. So you basically have no option other than to aim that sound directly at the spooky subject.

The whole thing is a messy business indeed, with no perfect solution.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Mar 14, 2017 17:16 |  #21

Too busy taking photos to care. I've never once had any complains about shutter noise from clients ranging from weddings to motorsports.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

travisvwright
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Mar 15, 2017 14:00 |  #22

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18300803 (external link)
and travis, i think you are just saying it is your perception, but the only difference is the sound and the slight shutter lag increase before opening the shutter. Remember the silent "shutter" is really silent mirror! That is the sound we are here talking about.

Yes rationally I understand it's not the case but because of the softer sound it feels slower somehow, which makes me worry my shots even at super fast shutter speeds will be soft. There is some odd tactile feedback to the clack that I'm adjusting to slowly.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

sponsored links

1,945 views & 11 likes for this thread
Do you care about shutter sound?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.