Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 21:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

pocket wizard or Paul C buff Cyber commander?

Prime ­ Visual ­ Productions
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 14, 2017 21:29 |  #1

which should I get?

sponsored links
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Prime Visual Productions.
Mar 14, 2017 21:30 |  #2

I currently only own an Einstein flash, but of course will purchase more lighting in the future(not sure what it may be). So, should I go with the paul bluff cyber commander, or get the pocketwizard as a more future proof option?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 14, 2017 21:39 |  #3

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18301263 (external link)
I currently only own an Einstein flash, but of course will purchase more lighting in the future(not sure what it may be). So, should I go with the paul bluff cyber commander, or get the pocketwizard as a more future proof option?

If you want a system, then go with the Buff products and take advantage of the features and benefits of the Cyber Commander as a controller.

I had 6 Einsteins and a cyber commander. Its an amazing tool. Very well thought out and makes controlling a lighting setup a dream. There's a learning curve but its worth the investment.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Yucca Valley, CA
Mar 14, 2017 22:14 |  #4

The cybercommander works great, and you can use it and a battery operated cybersync to trigger non Buff lights, you just won't be able to adjust the lights remotely.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,995 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Mar 14, 2017 22:16 |  #5

Doesn't matter one way or the other. PW lost the game now. I still like them but the future is HSS capable triggers and they are mfg dependent be it profoto, elinchrom, godox.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 15, 2017 00:22 |  #6

seems to be pretty clear. cyber commander it is. thanks!

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 15, 2017 21:42 |  #7

What do I need with the cyber commander to power the Einstein 640 light?
they have cybersync plus recievers / cybersync receivers / cybersync transceiver / trigger transmitter 2
which of these do I need to attatch to the einsten 640 to get it all to work?

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,244 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RDKirk.
Mar 15, 2017 22:19 |  #8

I also vote for the CyberCommander. As has been mentioned, PW is approaching obselsence as a general trigger because it doesn't do HSS.

The Buff system retains relevance (despite not having HSS) because of its incredible remote control at far less a price than others with as much capability. But without the CyberCommander system, it doesn't give you all those benefits (and if you don't get all the benefits, you might as well get something else).

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18302155 (external link)
What do I need with the cyber commander to power the Einstein 640 light?
they have cybersync plus recievers / cybersync receivers / cybersync transceiver / trigger transmitter 2
which of these do I need to attatch to the einsten 640 to get it all to work?

You need the CyberCommander. For each Einstein light you need a CyberSync Transceiver.

It's a good idea to get a CyberSync Trigger for your camera and keep the CyberCommander in you pocket, around your neck, or on your belt to control the lights.

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Prime Visual Productions.
Mar 15, 2017 23:52 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #9

so the cyber commander can't go on the cameras hot shoe and trigger the lights? i must buy both the cyber comander and the cybersync trigger as well as the cybersync transceiver for each light?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Yucca Valley, CA
Mar 16, 2017 00:53 |  #10

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18302199 (external link)
so the cyber commander can't go on the cameras hot shoe and trigger the lights? i must buy both the cyber comander and the cybersync trigger as well as the cybersync transceiver for each light?

It can, but if you're making a lot of adjustments it's easier to just use it as a lightmeter/remote control. That's how I use mine anyway.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 16, 2017 07:52 |  #11

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18302199 (external link)

It can but its not the best way to use it.

Here's my workflow for a 5 light setup.

First set two lights into group for background, using light meter, adjust them individually until background is uniformly lit. The as group, adjust output from subject position to ensure white background without bleed into subject.
Next set main light for desired exposure in its own group.
Next set fill light for desired exposure in its own group.
Next set kicker/hair light for desired exposure in its own group.
Combine main/fill/kicker into a group so they can be adjusted up and down as desired.
Finally combine all the lights into a group so they can be adjusted up and down as desired.

Start shooting.

It may sound complicated but once you're familiar with the system it does take long and once set, the shoot, with ability to adjust power by group is a real time and model saver.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

734 views & 5 likes for this thread
pocket wizard or Paul C buff Cyber commander?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.