Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 14 Mar 2016 (Monday) 13:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photographers worst nightmare

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Jan 09, 2017 11:02 |  #16

Yes, it's a tough lesson to learn. After living in Chicago and Atlanta, I do not keep anything visible in my car. If it's of any value I will put it in the trunk. If I'm coming from a shoot, I will either back image up on an external drive and/or put the cards in my pocket for safekeeping. My friends know that I leave nothing visible and give no reason for a thief to break into my car. Hell, a homeless person will break into your car if there's loose change or a piece of clothing visible. Why take the chance?

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

sponsored links
SpiderMonkey
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Feb 16, 2017 08:56 |  #17

I carry my camera bag wherever I go. If I stop at a store or a restaurant, or anywhere I will actually be out of view of my vehicle, I pull out my backpack and strap it on, it goes with me.
I will not leave my camera bag in my vehicle at all because of the exact same reason in the article. I am not a professional photographer and do not make a living at it but, I don't want to lose any of my gear either.

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Feb 16, 2017 10:09 |  #18

Pathetic, I love how someone gets gear stolen from the trunk of her car and they instantly blame the victim it was her fault for leaving her stuff in a locked car in the trunk out of sight. Cause some scumbag low life decided to break into it and steal it. There are no victims anymore these days. they are always the ones instantly blamed for the issue. not the low life scum bag. I bet if she was carrying it and someone robbed her of it then the post would have been. it was her fault for carrying with her and not leaving it in the carvmad

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2
Fuji X-T1, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Minolta 50mm 1.7 MD, Vivitar 28mm 2.8 MC, 135mm 2.8 MD

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Feb 16, 2017 11:03 |  #19

"The story is pretty straight forward: A photographer parked her car on the street for a couple minutes in Boston and someone smashed the window and grabbed her bag including the cards with all the images. Now, she’s making a public plea to the thief to at least return the cards so she can deliver the irreplaceable images to her client."

I understand that the bag was visible, inside the car not in the trunk.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,020 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 16, 2017 11:35 |  #20

Bassat wrote in post #18223898 (external link)
They who? If you believe the Boston (area) police are even looking for this gear, please send me some of your smoking materials. Police take reports on stolen gear. The department may even give you a copy of the 'report' for insurance purposes. Rest assured, nobody from the police department is out looking for that gear.

Is Officer Bassat (or others on the Web Enforcement Squad) vigilently watching for the gear to show up on the POTN For Sale listings, so he can decide which item(s) to pounce on?

(presumably to return it to its rightful owner) :twisted:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Feb 16, 2017 11:38 |  #21

tcphoto1 wrote in post #18275496 (external link)
"The story is pretty straight forward: A photographer parked her car on the street for a couple minutes in Boston and someone smashed the window and grabbed her bag including the cards with all the images. Now, she’s making a public plea to the thief to at least return the cards so she can deliver the irreplaceable images to her client."

I understand that the bag was visible, inside the car not in the trunk.

either way it was locked in the car. it was a scumbag who broke the window and took it. If she left the doors unlocked or the window down i would say it was not good choice on her part. but locked car the sole blame is on the scumbag.

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2
Fuji X-T1, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Minolta 50mm 1.7 MD, Vivitar 28mm 2.8 MC, 135mm 2.8 MD

mike_d
Goldmember
4,973 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Feb 16, 2017 11:40 |  #22

05Xrunner wrote in post #18275524 (external link)
either way it was locked in the car. it was a scumbag who broke the window and took it. If she left the doors unlocked or the window down i would say it was not good choice on her part. but locked car the sole blame is on the scumbag.

Yes the thief is a scumbag. But don't tempt scumbags. They're not known for their impulse control.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,020 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 16, 2017 11:56 |  #23

05Xrunner wrote in post #18275524 (external link)

but...The photographer in the embedded video stated, that "my windows had been broken in, and my equipment had been taken away from the trunk of my car".

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Feb 16, 2017 12:20 |  #24

Many cars have a truck release in the car. My car has one right next to the gas door release. You can't lock it out except to lock it every time you go in the trunk. When you lock the trunk with a key you have to twist the key all the way to the left or the trunk release in the car is unlocked. I had to read the owners manual before I realized this. Few people read the owners manual from cover to cover so I imagine most drivers are not even aware of the fact that their trunk is only half way locked if they don't twist the lock all the way to the left every time they use the key in the trunk.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Feb 16, 2017 16:16 |  #25

Nogo wrote in post #18275563 (external link)
Many cars have a truck release in the car. My car has one right next to the gas door release. You can't lock it out except to lock it every time you go in the trunk. When you lock the trunk with a key you have to twist the key all the way to the left or the trunk release in the car is unlocked. I had to read the owners manual before I realized this. Few people read the owners manual from cover to cover so I imagine most drivers are not even aware of the fact that their trunk is only half way locked if they don't twist the lock all the way to the left every time they use the key in the trunk.

My Legacy doesn't have a key operated lock barrel on the bootlid or any other complete lockout function. Once someone breaks into the main cabin they can easily open the boot. The function you describe is only any use if the vehicle (sedan) does not have split fold rear seats or a ski port too.

Gear List

Ballen ­ Photo
19,462 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Feb 28, 2017 18:04 |  #26

OUCH! I hope she at least gets her cards back, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That's sad.

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

paintballkidz
752 posts
Joined Jan 2010
VANCOUVRE BC
Mar 15, 2017 11:30 |  #27

Nogo wrote in post #18275563 (external link)

my 2015 civic has the ability to lock the trunk release from inside the car using the key

6D
24L

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been edited 7 months ago by David Arbogast.
Mar 15, 2017 17:15 |  #28

I wouldn't care about the gear - insurance - but it's got to be horribly painful to let the B&G know that they won't be getting any photos of their event. Can't imagine it. :cry:

David | Flickr (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Scotland
Mar 16, 2017 05:37 |  #29

Ouch thats horrible.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List
1DX Mark II - 5D Mark IV - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - 100mm f/2.8L 135L - 17-40L 50mm 1.8 stm 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Mar 16, 2017 08:24 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #30

Yeah, I heard that to, but from what is shown in the video, no, she had it in the back seat. Otherwise the thief had to know what was in the trunk before she parked it since she came from somewhere else. That was a crime of opportunity...a bag in sight...smash and grab..

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

13,848 views & 26 likes for this thread
Photographers worst nightmare
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.