Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Mar 2017 (Monday) 15:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

good all purpose soft box

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,995 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Mar 14, 2017 14:46 |  #16

Not that bad but just a hassle if you have to do every so often. I shoot outdoor mainly so like umbrella styles much better or get quickring like I mentioned. Options of reasonable cost grids made me go with photoflex.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
sincity
Joined Nov 2014
Mar 14, 2017 17:05 |  #17

I have several Chimera boxes and haven't found them difficult to maintain. The chimera seems to have a sailcloth material which seems tougher to break. So that is of note. Another option is the Elinchrom system which is also well received. And yes you can change mounts to match the flash or lighting system you have. All you have to get the fitting speeding.

RicoTudor
396 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Mar 14, 2017 18:52 |  #18

bobbyz wrote in post #18300934 (external link)
Not that bad but just a hassle if you have to do every so often. I shoot outdoor mainly so like umbrella styles much better or get quickring like I mentioned. ...

I agree that regular speed rings are diabolical to set and break down—prepare to lose an eye. I only use the Chimera quick-release speed ring which works with any 4-pole SB and is offered for every mount in creation. You have to pay the premium, but the thing is built for the ages and makes setup almost as fast as an umbrella. When broken down, the assembly can lie flat with all rods and diffusers in place, or can stand upright. The Buff version: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...k_Release_Speed_Rin​g.html (external link)

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

Prime ­ Visual ­ Productions
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 16, 2017 00:10 as a reply to RicoTudor's post |  #19

so this speed ring works with einstein as well? it just says white lightning,
so, all I would need is this speed ring, my einstein, my cyber comander and transceiver, and my chimera 36"x48" softbox and I'll have a perfectly working system, right?
of course this doesnt include the outside diffuser

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 16, 2017 01:08 |  #20

someone recoommended the quick release speed ring below. but it says its for white lightning light and I have the einstein. one of the reveiews says

Does Not Fit Einstein Strobes
The insert diameter on this speed ring is too small for the Paul Buff Einstein strobes. It does not allow the Einstein fingers to completely close into the locked position. The fingers will only close down about 60%, just past the midpoint. For lighter softboxes this may not be an issue. However, with larger and heavier softboxes it will fall off. When the fingers are completely closed the fingers "lock" and no longer depend on the spring tension to stay closed....
Reviewed by 12 customers
Sort By:
2/23/2012
Does Not Fit Einstein Strobes
By Jon
VERIFIED BUYER
The insert diameter on this speed ring is too small for the Paul Buff Einstein strobes. It does not allow the Einstein fingers to completely close into the locked position. The fingers will only close down about 60%, just past the midpoint. For lighter softboxes this may not be an issue. However, with larger and heavier softboxes it will fall off. When the fingers are completely closed the fingers "lock" and no longer depend on the spring tension to stay closed. When the fingers are only partially closed, as with this speed ring, you are only using the weak spring tension to hold up your softbox and that's very risky. People who claim that this speed ring fits the Einstein are not aware of this fact and are likely using a small and light softbox.

A much better alternative to this product is the Bowens Quick Ring with the SP Studio Systems insert.

B&H # BOQRS
Mfr# BW-3110

B&H # SPARCSBB
Mfr# SPARBW1

This speed ring and insert diameter is a PERFECT fit for the Einstein with almost no "play" once mounted. Most importantly the fingers close completely and "lock." I've read the reports on the Internet about the poor fit of the Chimera for Einstein. I purchased both the Chimera and Bowens and confirmed that the Chimera doesn't fit. Needless to say I sent it back.

is this something to worry about?
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...k_Release_Speed_Rin​g.html (external link)

RicoTudor
396 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Mar 16, 2017 01:33 |  #21

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18302212 (external link)
so, all I would need is this speed ring, my einstein, my cyber comander and transceiver, and my chimera 36"x48" softbox and I'll have a perfectly working system, right?
of course this doesnt include the outside diffuser

Above package will serve nicely, and Chimera SB ships with both diffusers (inner, outside). As for Einstein, some reviewers on B&H say it's fine, so pick who to believe. :)

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Prime Visual Productions. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 16, 2017 01:38 as a reply to RicoTudor's post |  #22

thanks. I think im about to purchase. just one more question. silver or white interior? If Im not mistaken, the silver produces a harsher light, but can also be diffused with the diffusion which in turn would produce a light more like the white interior softbox, right? so in essence, the silver is the best of both worlds, while the white interior is a one trick pony?

PS. would you really pick the chimera over the profoto rfi?

heres what I have so far

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...030_super_pro_x_plu​s.html (external link)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...k_Release_Speed_Rin​g.html (external link)
http://paulcbuff.com/c​c.php (external link)
http://paulcbuff.com/c​sxcv.php (external link)

only thing missing is the light stand? I already own the Einstein flash

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 16, 2017 09:08 |  #23

Whats a goog light stand that I can setup my einstein on with the chimera 3'x4' softbox? I need something that can be shortened/broken down to fit in a full size suitcase so that I can travel with it.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 23, 2017 08:59 |  #24

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18302408 (external link)
Whats a goog light stand that I can setup my einstein on with the chimera 3'x4' softbox? I need something that can be shortened/broken down to fit in a full size suitcase so that I can travel with it.

Best way to travel with light stands is to place them in a separate bag and check them.
Any light stand that can be short enough to fit into a suitcase will be too lightweight to be safe with an Einstein and 3x4 softbox mounted.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Angmo.
Mar 23, 2017 14:05 |  #25

Hmmm.... No mention of Gridded strip boxes.
It's more general purpose than one would think. You can rotate it on axis to get a wide variety of looks. I'd go with Two Gridded strips, Gridded beauty dish and 3'x4' Gridded softbox. Start with one or two and grow the collection over time.

Ive a habit of buying one new thing per year regardless of need (wants not needs). A paid shoot will get you going.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Angmo.
Mar 23, 2017 16:32 |  #26

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18300894 (external link)
I wont be getting any octoboxes. is it really that hard to put the rods in the 3x4 chimera box? I seen someone setup the profoto box and it didn't seem to be too hard. if it's the same, I'm sure it won't be much of an issue.

I've never had any issues with Octoboxes. I mean, come on already. It's simple. They flex and behave themselves. My wife can assemble them. Anyway it's the image that counts. Not ease of assembly anyway. Even though it's easy anyway.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,995 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by bobbyz.
Mar 23, 2017 21:16 |  #27

^^ I don't know but putting rods in my photoflex octa is pain in the azz, specifically the last one. Check the old threads and other will agree with me. That is why Dave, Robert started that quickring route. No wonder we have these foldable modifiers now even though they take more space IMHO. If you leave modifier in the studio, no issue.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Angmo. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 23, 2017 22:27 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #28

Photoflex.... I had a few of their Softboxes. They yellow very fast. So I feel they are very poor performers. Never had any issues assembling or take down. It's really a simple thing to do. There are some tricks in that I flex the rods only from the adapter ring. Insert opposite sides first and work my way around. Removing them is simple. I just press down on the adapter ring and pull them out. Octa box, same thing. A few more rods, that's all.

I can't imagine a different way to do this - I guess without the problems a few are reporting. 4 rods or 16, same process. No pain or aggravation. The trick is flexing the rods with the adapter ring, attaching opposite ends first. Zero problems.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,995 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by bobbyz.
Mar 24, 2017 11:06 |  #29

Actually my photoflex is 10+ yr old, no yellowing. They aren't Chimera but then you not paying Chimera prices either. Build quality is nice, you can get nice grids for them. I am happy. They seem much better than some of the Elinchrom modifiers I have at my work studio and everyone raves about Elinchrom.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Angmo. 4 edits done in total.
Mar 24, 2017 11:18 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #30

Then mine was part of a bad batch. Yellowing was on the Inner Liner of the softboxes. The difusers were all pristine white. Either way I won't use them now.

Funny, all I have are Elinchrom strobes, none of their softboxes but nearly all of their metal dishes.

Ive grown to like the CheetahStand Rice Bowls and luckily I have a bunch of Creative Light softboxes - well, before they disappeared into Profoto I think.

sponsored links

1,997 views & 3 likes for this thread
good all purpose soft box
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.