Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 16 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 10:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is a 600EX-II RT worth it?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 16, 2017 10:27 |  #1

I'm thinking of picking up a powerful flash for birding. Getting a bit tired of dreary Oregon days. Choices are the 600EX-II RT and the YN600EX-RT as I plan to get a Yongnuo trigger as well.

600EX-II RT is $394 at the refurb sale. YN600EX-RT is $114. I understand the difference is quality, etc. but I was wondering if people who have the Canon version can comment if it is worth 3X the price. Yes, I can get an older model but the $394 refurb price seems to be a decent deal.

Thanks.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
James ­ P
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Mar 16, 2017 19:19 |  #2

I can't comment about how the 600 RT compares to other brands, but I can tell you that it is well built and works flawlessly with other Canon RT flashes. For me, the reliability alone was worth it.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Mar 16, 2017 21:25 |  #3

Well i think its a great flash and the AF beam is perfect compared the china made stuff, (since its a 2 lazer system compared to single lazer system) but if you need a working flash you can't go wrong with the YN flashes for the lower price.

I AM SHOM

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 16, 2017 21:37 |  #4

What the hell, YOLO.

Went ahead and ordered the refurb 600EX II-RT. $394. Maybe way more flash than I need but I figure I'll keep it for the next decade hopefully.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

pbrimages
177 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post has been edited 5 months ago by pbrimages.
Apr 01, 2017 22:00 |  #5

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18302960 (external link)
What the hell, YOLO.

Went ahead and ordered the refurb 600EX II-RT. $394. Maybe way more flash than I need but I figure I'll keep it for the next decade hopefully.

I don't think you'll regret it. And yes, I can totally see you working that little Speedlite for the next decade or so. I picked up a dirt cheap Neewer NW 680 and it worked fine, but only with the latest cameras. Didn't do SQUAT with any of my older Canon equipment. Yet my 580EX II works with everything I have. Totally understandable that Neewer or any of the other Chinese companies won't do the reverse engineering needed to cover all of the older equipment, as it would greatly add to the development cost. They are trying to stay at a specific price point, after all.

You'll never have that issue with the 600EX II

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Apr 02, 2017 15:03 |  #6

pbrimages wrote in post #18317140 (external link)
I don't think you'll regret it. And yes, I can totally see you working that little Speedlite for the next decade or so. I picked up a dirt cheap Neewer NW 680 and it worked fine, but only with the latest cameras. Didn't do SQUAT with any of my older Canon equipment. Yet my 580EX II works with everything I have. Totally understandable that Neewer or any of the other Chinese companies won't do the reverse engineering needed to cover all of the older equipment, as it would greatly add to the development cost. They are trying to stay at a specific price point, after all.

You'll never have that issue with the 600EX II

Canon updated the protocols and command structure for ETTL II when they introduced the 600EX-RT. They also updated the interface and ability to control the speedlites from the camera.

The OEM manufacturers, most notably Yongnou and Godox have chosen to focus on the newer technology and capabilities.
Yongnou by emulating the Canon 600EX-RT system devices and capabilities. Godox by designing and implementing a TTL/HSS capability family of devices ranging from small speedlites to 600Ws battery powered monolights, as well as mains powered monolights. What makes the Godox system unique and special, is that the lights will work with Nikon, Canon, Sony and soon Fujifilm TTL and HSS. More importantly, the lights are smart enough to read Canon signals from a Canon variant controller and Sony signals from a Sony variant controller. On a shot by shot basis.

I used Canon 600EX-RT speedlites from the moment they were available. I sold them and replaced them with Godox X system when I moved from Canon to Sony.

I've done bata testing for both Yongnou (600EX-RT system E3 trigger) and for Godox (Cheetah) for Cells IIc and Sony TTL.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

pbrimages
177 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Apr 02, 2017 18:41 |  #7

dmward wrote in post #18317691 (external link)
Canon updated the protocols and command structure for ETTL II when they introduced the 600EX-RT. They also updated the interface and ability to control the speedlites from the camera.

The OEM manufacturers, most notably Yongnou and Godox have chosen to focus on the newer technology and capabilities.
Yongnou by emulating the Canon 600EX-RT system devices and capabilities. Godox by designing and implementing a TTL/HSS capability family of devices ranging from small speedlites to 600Ws battery powered monolights, as well as mains powered monolights. What makes the Godox system unique and special, is that the lights will work with Nikon, Canon, Sony and soon Fujifilm TTL and HSS. More importantly, the lights are smart enough to read Canon signals from a Canon variant controller and Sony signals from a Sony variant controller. On a shot by shot basis.

I used Canon 600EX-RT speedlites from the moment they were available. I sold them and replaced them with Godox X system when I moved from Canon to Sony.

I've done bata testing for both Yongnou (600EX-RT system E3 trigger) and for Godox (Cheetah) for Cells IIc and Sony TTL.

Thank you for the insight! Helps one understand why these manufacturers do what they do. Does make sense though, as there is a large-enough market for them simply supporting the newer equipment.

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

sponsored links

2,550 views & 8 likes for this thread
Is a 600EX-II RT worth it?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.