Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 13 Mar 2017 (Monday) 18:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D classic, why should I not get one?

Bassat
"I must be the worst photographer on the planet"
4,654 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 9 days ago by Bassat.
Mar 14, 2017 20:44 |  #31

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18301002 (external link)

Then yours must have been completely silent!  :p

My 5D shutter (mirror, actually) isn't silent - hence, it scares birds away and puts mammals on the alert :-(

Nope, not silent. The 5Dc has the heartiest Ker-CHUNK of any camera shutter I've ever heard. I liked it.

The birds around here would love a 5Dc. I shoot them with a Mossberg 590. It makes considerably more noise than a 5Dc. :)

Tom

sponsored links
harihacker
Joined May 2011
Mar 15, 2017 09:11 |  #32

I loved my 5Dc when I had it and saw an opportunity to upgrade to a 5D MK ii and did. I loved the 5Dc so much that I did not sell it, but gave it to a friend. I still miss the "look" of the pics that came out of 5Dc and am still thinking of selling my MK ii and getting back 5Dc. Wife thinks am crazy for selling a new one to get the old one.  :p

Harihacker:p
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62853370@N06/ (external link)
Canon 5Dc, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 STM ..:cool:

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Mar 15, 2017 10:34 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #33

It's not really the shutter noise, focal plane shutters by them selves are very quite, just go listen to a Leica. No it's mostly the mirror making all that noise, and the bigger the mirror generally the more substantial is the noise. I say substantial because it is not just the volume but the specific combinations of all of the variables. If you want a serious mirror noise you need to try out an old medium format SLR.

Oh and my bird gun of choice would be my Winchester 101 Supergrade, but even though I live in the middle of some of the best wildfowling in the world it's one thing I can't shoot. Getting out on the marshes is just not on when you are in a wheelchair. My powerchair, with me in it weighs something like 230Kgs (over 600Lbs) and really doesn't do soft/loose surfaces.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 15, 2017 11:13 |  #34

Testing 40D, 5D, and 7DII with noise meter app on my smartphone, at a distance of 10' all three fell in the 40-42dB range of noise (1/500 f/2.8), although all three were very different in the type of noise emitted!
The 7DII measured 40dB, the 5D and 40D measured 42dB, with same lens mounted on all cameras. A normal speaking voice measures about 50dB.

Most of the noise is mirror slap...if one slows down shutter to 1/8, and uses mirror lockup, the peaks are at mirror lockup and when (after shutter is released) when mirror drops...one cannot see a significant waveform change when shutter itself opens first curtain or closes second curtain.

This is the 40D sound, with mirror up slap at 42dB...(the 43dB shown is the noise of me touching the phone to pause the graph)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/IMG_1617_zpslmtjuskf.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

bigVinnie
775 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 16, 2017 09:59 |  #35

The ONLY reason I don't still own one is because it doesn't work with the camranger.

Frankly I felt jipped when I went from it to a 5d2. I liked the images from the original better. As others have said the 5d3 is much improved but you can buy a bag full of original 5d's for what one costs.

For portraits in good light it is a hard camera to beat.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

ct1co2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Mar 16, 2017 23:05 |  #36

Thanks all for the pro and con comments. Picked up a 50stm that is due for delivery tomorrow and leaning toward giving the classic a spin. Clearly it's a back to basic rig but that should work as I don't do video and it seems there is not much downside for stills where light can be controlled.

70D | 10-22 | 15-85is | 35 f2is | 50stm | 50-135 2.8 | 70-300L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex | S100 |

sponsored links

1,433 views & 14 likes for this thread
5D classic, why should I not get one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.