Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 09:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Great Battery debate

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 17, 2017 21:18 |  #61

umphotography wrote in post #18302456 (external link)
I bought 2 wasabi's. They worked great for about 6-7 months. After a year they really started to crap out. Didnt hold a charge for beans. my 3 yr old Canon OE batteries were still going strong. Buying 2 more canon OE to replace the Wasabi's that crapped out

Same here, but not only with Wasabi brand. Now I pony up and buy Canon batteries.
I figure I spent a lot of money on Canon gear, so why not spend a bit more for Canon batteries.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
2,912 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Mar 18, 2017 08:54 |  #62

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18303831 (external link)
Same here, but not only with Wasabi brand. Now I pony up and buy Canon batteries.
I figure I spent a lot of money on Canon gear, so why not spend a bit more for Canon batteries.

To be perfectly frank, what Frank said.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Mar 21, 2017 08:38 |  #63

One needs to understand that Canon does not make batteries, nor does it make the cells for them. The most widely used cells are Panasonic, Sony, Fedco, NEC, A123, and a few large Chinese companies that a common consumer never heard of.

Then there are a bunch of companies that build battery packs for many many consumer product such as cameras. Several of those manufacturers build batteries for Canon, and the same guys may be building the same batteries for Wasabi or Sterlingtek or Watson. The difference is better quality control. and that more reputable companies require their manufacturers to obtain independent safety approvals, e.g., by UL. Those stories that you see in the news showing exploding electronic cigarettes or hoverboards are about batteries that never got safety approvals. It was a different story with Samsung phones - there is was an incorrectly designed battery protection circuitry.

Some battery manufacturers demonstrated quality and safety of their batteries, such as Wasabi or Watson. If you are happy with them, you should continue using them.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

4,507 views & 9 likes for this thread
The Great Battery debate
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.