Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 16 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 11:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 500mm f4 vs Sigma 500mm f4

DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012
Florida
Mar 17, 2017 19:30 |  #16

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18303728 (external link)
I was referring to the newer mk.ii models, I suppose.
Didnt even consider the mk.i version.
Dont know anything about it, even price.

Then the choice is easy, Sigma unless you are comfortable with an extra $2360 for the Canon.

Canon C200 | Canon 5D Mark IV | 16-35 f4L IS USM | 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 1D Mark IV

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Mar 18, 2017 00:04 |  #17

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18303712 (external link)
I am confident this is one of, if not the best lens SIGMA has ever fielded, but it's niche is questionable now. The Canon Version II IS lenses = very low used prices for the version 1.

With the used price of the version 1 Canon, I would be amazed at anyone looking to save some $$ Vs. the newer Canon opting to spend $2000.00 more on the new SIGMA vs. a used MkI. ( and this comes from someone that was hoping SIGMA would launch an upgrade from the old f/4.5 going all the way back to 2005.)

Some high points, Brad prefers it to the Nikon, this is very impressive.
Despite the Canon having a closer MFD rating, if you manually focus, the SIGMA allows closer focus! That can truly be a big deal for some.

A big minus for the SIGMA IMHO - It weighs as much (MORE!) than the older Canon Version 1!!
The only reason I upgraded to the Version II was weight. Seriously.

The Sigma is lighter than the Canon V1. It is much closer to the V2 Canon in weight:
Canon 500 f4 V1 3.87kg
Canon 500 f4 V2 3.19kg
Sigma 500 f4 3.31kg

Living in Australia, only the cost to me is relevant. Average price for a (non Grey import) Canon 500 V2 is 11.5K.
The Sigma is available for 6.8K. The difference in cost would pay for a 5D4 or a 7D2 and a 70-200 2.8 II.

Predictable that the Sigma will sell well here!

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

Honey ­ Monster
Joined Jun 2011
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Mar 18, 2017 02:20 |  #18

In the U.K. the Canon 500 II is £7999, while the Sigma is £4999. The Canon has risen in price by about £1500 since the referendum last year and the subsequent drop in the value of the pound. The difference in price here might help the Sigma to sell well.

Used mark I lenses are not that common, but can occasionally be found cheaper than the Sigma.

Unfortunately, the 600 f4 II has now moved to £11900 with most retailers, although there is one listing at £10600. I should have convinced my wife it was essential when the pound was riding higher :(

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Mar 18, 2017 12:49 |  #19

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18303728 (external link)
I was referring to the newer mk.ii models, I suppose.
Didnt even consider the mk.i version.
Dont know anything about it, even price.

For the MkII IF you win the lottery, you can pick it up "refurbished" from Canon @ $7,200.00
https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...shed-super-telephoto-lens (external link)

Mine was "refurbished" only in name, it arrived brand new, unused near as i can tell.

OP is in Canada however, which makes the pricing advantage for the SIGMA very different than it is here.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 18, 2017 12:52 |  #20

Choderboy wrote in post #18303895 (external link)
The Sigma is lighter than the Canon V1. It is much closer to the V2 Canon in weight:
Canon 500 f4 V1 3.87kg
Canon 500 f4 V2 3.19kg
Sigma 500 f4 3.31kg

Living in Australia, only the cost to me is relevant. Average price for a (non Grey import) Canon 500 V2 is 11.5K.
The Sigma is available for 6.8K. The difference in cost would pay for a 5D4 or a 7D2 and a 70-200 2.8 II.

Predictable that the Sigma will sell well here!

Thank you for correcting me,. somehow I was looking at the weight of the Nikon 500mm when I typed the above. Oops.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 18, 2017 12:52 |  #21

Lucky, Jake! I bought mine for $7900 through CPW when they were having a 10% off sale. And sure enough, about 2 weeks after i bought mine, the refurb store got a batch in, which is when you picked yours up! Happens like clockwork to me, every time I buy new! :)

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Post has been edited 8 months ago by PCousins.
Mar 18, 2017 14:27 |  #22

Honey Monster wrote in post #18303937 (external link)
Unfortunately, the 600 f4 II has now moved to £11900 with most retailers, although there is one listing at £10600. I should have convinced my wife it was essential when the pound was riding higher :(

Today was the 2017 Photography show at the Birmingham NEC. I have just got back. There was a couple of companies doing show special prices on the Canon 600 f4 II at £9500....Both said that they would honour the price after the show. I also visited the Canon stand and spoke to Canon Reps who told me that the lens will drop in price ....as the long awaited 600 f4 DO will be out before the end of the year. It's biggest feature is weight and size reduction.

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 18, 2017 16:01 |  #23

Wow, Solid sounding Rumor. I give it a POTN-R2 ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 18, 2017 16:27 |  #24

I would definitely be paying attention to the 600mm F4 DO possibility. If it weighs the same as my 500/4 II, then I might be considering a kidney donation to fund it!

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Michael Frymus.
Mar 19, 2017 14:58 as a reply to Scrumhalf's post |  #25

Tough luck. Its not possible and allowed to SELL a kidney.
Better luck with the lottery.

Michael Frymus
Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Mar 29, 2017 09:55 |  #26

What if you're renting or can get them for the same price?
Which would you choose, canons?

Michael Frymus
Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Mar 29, 2017 10:22 |  #27

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18314002 (external link)
What if you're renting or can get them for the same price?
Which would you choose, canons?

I would definitely choose the Canon over any third party 500mm. Based on my extensive experience with third party lenses, they are always a wee bit slower to autofocus on Canon bodies than the Canon equivalents are. Also, the Canon lenses that I have used require practically zero AF fine tuning, whilst the third party lenses I have used do require that one does some AF micro adjustments in order to get them to focus properly.

When you are trying to fill the frame with fast moving subjects that are moving randomly in all kinds of crazy directions, I have found that the Canon lenses keep up with that kind of fast-paced, erratic action a little better than the Sigma lenses do. This is no surprise, as the Sigma's autofocus mechanisms have to be reverse-engineered.

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18305225 (external link)
Tough luck. Its not possible and allowed to SELL a kidney.

Actually, it is possible. A few years back I met someone who sold a kidney to a rich family. Both parties traveled to a third world country where the operations were performed legally. The guy was given an even one million U.S. dollars for his kidney. By the time I met him a couple years later, he was having some rather serious health problems and wished that he had not sold the kidney.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Mar 29, 2017 12:20 |  #28

So, don't sell kidney to feed the GAS. If a kidney can get us a million dollar, we have to sell about 100 canon 600mm f/4 II to get the kidney back, and we need to sell another 10 600Ls because sigma is about to knock the canon's supertelephoto lenses price down due to their 500mm performance.:eek:

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Mar 29, 2017 15:56 |  #29

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #18314139 (external link)
So, don't sell kidney to feed the GAS. If a kidney can get us a million dollar, we have to sell about 100 canon 600mm f/4 II to get the kidney back, and we need to sell another 10 600Ls because sigma is about to knock the canon's supertelephoto lenses price down due to their 500mm performance.:eek:

Maybe a left testicle then :-P :p:twisted:

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

MikeWa
Joined Apr 2012
Seattle Washington
Apr 05, 2017 11:45 |  #30

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18304285 (external link)
Lucky, Jake! I bought mine for $7900 through CPW when they were having a 10% off sale. And sure enough, about 2 weeks after i bought mine, the refurb store got a batch in, which is when you picked yours up! Happens like clockwork to me, every time I buy new! :)

Just be sure to post a notice here the next time you purchase a new lens.

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

sponsored links

11,434 views & 29 likes for this thread
Canon 500mm f4 vs Sigma 500mm f4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.