Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 19 Mar 2017 (Sunday) 00:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Walmart Prints

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 8 months ago by icor1031.
Mar 19, 2017 00:02 |  #1

Today I got three prints from walmart so my customers can compare theirs to mine.

Wow, walmart prints suck! Not sharp compared to mine!
Their color rendition is better than mine, but I can correct that with a profiler (which I don't yet have.)

One picture even had a roller-wide streak where the image wasn't as dark.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,753 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 19, 2017 00:33 |  #2

I've been ordering prints online from Walmart.com for a couple of years. Out of about 200 prints, I got one I didn't like. The local store reprinted it, for nothing, until I was happy with the results. Perhaps different locations have different equipment or standards. Or perhaps I don't know what I am missing.

Tom

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Mar 19, 2017 00:41 |  #3

Bassat wrote in post #18304768 (external link)
I've been ordering prints online from Walmart.com for a couple of years. Out of about 200 prints, I got one I didn't like. The local store reprinted it, for nothing, until I was happy with the results. Perhaps different locations have different equipment or standards. Or perhaps I don't know what I am missing.

There was only one print in my set that was flawed.
However, none of them are very *sharp* compared to my prints; like comparing 720 to 1080 TV.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Mar 19, 2017 06:30 |  #4

You do realize that different printers cough out different results...right?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,342 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Mar 19, 2017 06:45 |  #5

Just curious, as the file is digital and the process has no optical component, how would a printer turn a sharp photo un-sharp? I can see bad colors and such but sharpness?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

PhotosGuy
74,867 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 19, 2017 08:33 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #18304863 (external link)
Just curious, as the file is digital and the process has no optical component, how would a printer turn a sharp photo un-sharp? I can see bad colors and such but sharpness?

There are a lot of things that can affect the print. Maybe the "Fast Upload" option, or didn't turn off Autocorrect? And the printer profile? Or the lab guy doesn't know what he/she is doing?
WalMart: Years ago, I made a few small prints there. Went back the next day & made some more of the same file. When I picked them up an hour later, I had another one made of the same file, & the color/density didn't come close to the previous ones that also had bad color/density. I asked the "tech" who printed them & he said, "I don't know why this one doesn't look like the one you made an hour ago, or the one from yesterday?"
I didn't go back.

The people at my Costco are excellent, & have been for 7 years. In my case, they're faster, cheaper, & every bit as good as the pro lab that I used for decades. OTOH, there have been a (very) few mentioned in the forum that don't make the grade.
Since I've moved, the local Meijers hasn't screwed up... yet! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Mar 19, 2017 08:38 |  #7

I've (thankfully) had consistent good prints from the Walmart that I use. Unfortunately for me, the nearest Walmart doesn't have a working photo center so I have to use one about 45 miles from me, but my wife is in that area regularly so it works out. Costco has done me well, too. As others have mentioned, different variables can come into play....

www.beeweather.comexternal link

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mar 19, 2017 08:41 |  #8

chauncey wrote in post #18304854 (external link)
You do realize that different printers cough out different results...right?

Correct............som​e stores print in house by minimum wage employee's............​...others are are sent out. It depends on the size of the store, location(rural vs urban) and the amount of traffic(customers).

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Bassat
6,753 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 19, 2017 09:27 |  #9

For what its worth, I always process to taste, crop for print size, and check the MAKE NO ADJUSTMENTS (or whatever it says) box on the order form.

I've also used Meijer. Also good. Walmart.com is just more convenient. I can order on-line. 4x6 are like $0.08 each, and shipping is negligible. Largest I've gotten from Walmart is 11"x17". I am happy with their work.

Tom

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Mar 19, 2017 09:47 |  #10

Maybe they use a low PPI printer?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Mar 19, 2017 09:49 |  #11

photosbytw wrote in post #18304932 (external link)
Correct............som​e stores print in house by minimum wage employee's............​...others are are sent out. It depends on the size of the store, location(rural vs urban) and the amount of traffic(customers).

The Walmart that I use would be considered a rural one...and they do very good in-house work.

www.beeweather.comexternal link

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Mar 19, 2017 09:50 |  #12

Have any of you compared their prints to that of one with PPI at least as high as Pro-100's?

Bassat
6,753 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 19, 2017 09:58 |  #13

I compared what I get from Walmart.com to what the local Camera/Print shop does. I don't see the point in paying 5-10 times as much for a product indistinguishable from the less expensive version.

Tom

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Mar 19, 2017 11:37 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #18305001 (external link)
I compared what I get from Walmart.com to what the local Camera/Print shop does. I don't see the point in paying 5-10 times as much for a product indistinguishable from the less expensive version.

Neither would I.
Must have a crappy walmart here.

Bassat
6,753 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 19, 2017 11:43 |  #15

icor1031 wrote in post #18305072 (external link)
Neither would I.
Must have a crappy walmart here.

Try Walmart.com.

Tom

sponsored links

2,139 views & 1 like for this thread
Walmart Prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.